Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which one ? FM or PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Eric 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one ? FM or PCM

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and to rc flying{heli's]. I bought a kit , ready to fly, the radio and servo's aren't very good quality. I am already looking to upgrade,I bought some magazines to read up on radio's etc' . For the same price they offer fm or pcm radios, what is the difference ,and which one is better?Should I get one that can do both plane and heli's, for future plane flying, which brand , and # for good 'bang for the buck'? how many channels . Thanks Eric. [&:]
Old 05-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Which one ? FM or PCM

Eric, your questions have been asked a million times and answered as many times. I suggest you search the site. You will find an endless amount of topics that you can benefit from. I will however tell you this, it is a good idea to fly with PCM especially with heli's. THe failsafe options provided with PCM is most desirable and, one would do himself or herself a large favor by purchasing the best radio he/she can afford.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:43 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate it when people say to do a search but this is one time when I think a search is a good idea. This topic is talked about all the time and there are some very informative threads around.
Basically PCM is more resistant to interference than FM. Also with PCM you can set your own failsafe such that the servo's will go to a preset position I.E. throttle to idle if the TX signal is lost.
If they are the same price then IMO PCM is the easy choice.
As far as brand, just get what is most common in your area. The two main brands are Futaba and at least in Aus JR. I use JR and have had no problems at all. I suggest you get a computer radio. That way changing between models is a piece of cake. I believe that if their is one area that you don't want to skip on is your transmitter. This is because it is the only thing you will use for every model.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most PCM is FM, at least on all modern radios. Several years back there were some AM PCM available. I think what the gentleman means is should he get PWM (pulse width modulation) or PCM (pulse code modulation).
Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

technical LOL