Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Great Planes Pitts Glitches

Old 10-07-2002, 08:31 PM
thegfam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Pitts Glitches

I just finished my GP Pitts and I wasn't thrilled with the metal to metal set up on the fly wires. when I turned on the plane and TX and RX every thing is fine until I touch the fly wires, everything starts jumping. So I remove the flying wires and every thing was fine. I ran a gallon of gas through the Moki 2.10 without a problem. But I noticed that if i touch an wrench on the aluminum spinner the servos will jump a little. Is there something that I should be worried about or is it common.
Thanks
Brent
Old 10-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

If you are using *ANY* Brand on straight FM (not PCM) this is VERY likely. And very dependent on antenna positions, both of the receiver and the Tx.

Range check it thoroughly and have a helper identify any twitches AT all. Use the 'walk a circle' range test, if your facility has the space.

For years, if there is no metal-to-metal I have very successfully flown straight PPM FM of several brands with no issues.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:04 AM
thegfam

Default Gp glitch

Thanks for the reply. Last night I ran the anntena wire outside of the fuse and tried moving the radio close and then away while touching a wrench on the motor fins and spinner. If I held the radio close (Futaba T6XA) with the anntena down i didn't glitch, but if i put the anntena up in the same position it would glitch.
I also tried swaping the futaba rx with a Hi-tech supreme with a futaba crystal and it worked the same.
I will try all range checks with the motor running and not running, so far when the engine is running everything seems ok (of course i'm not touching anything to the motor while it's running) I have also found an area where I can taxi the plane about 100yards.
Over the years I've flown alot of rc planes, but the Pitts is the plane that I've always wanted and seeing it get busted up would surely break my heart.
Thanks again,
Brent
Old 10-08-2002, 04:53 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

There's nothing unusual about getting glitches when you drag metal across the engine or any other metal in close proximity of the receiver. I've noticed this many times while working on a plane with the system turned on. As long as the flying wires are not in a position to rub against each other during flight, you're probably going to be ok.
I definitely agree on doing some in depth ground checking first.