Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 9411SA Gear train failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:40 AM
gary van dyke
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9411SA Gear train failure?

Has anyone else had these gears strip in flight? I have an 11 pound World Models Fun World 3D with 6 JR 9411SA servos: one on each aileron, each flap and each elevator. I am using heavy duty servo arms connected with 4-40 hardware. All hinge gaps are sealed. Power is from a 5 cell 2700mah battery with a 5 volt regulator. I have the controls programed for triple rates. The airplane had 8 flights. Before the first flight of the day, I discovered a stripped servo gear on one of my ailerons during preflight inspection. I figured I must have banged the control surface on my way to or from storage to the flight field. I wasn't aware of this and I am always very careful with my airplanes. I had purchased 2 sets of gears when I bought the servos. I usually do this because I don't like to have to wait for parts if I have a problem. I replaced the gear train after carefully cleaning out all the broken teeth. With my ailerons set on medium rates I noticed the roll rate slowed way down and the rolls were wobbly about half way through the next flight. I immediately landed to check out the problem. I discovered both aileron servos were completely stripped! I have my flaps programmed as flaperons and this is probably what allowed me to maintain the control I had. I contacted Horizon and they offered to repair the servos. They were unaware of any similar problems. I am hesitant to go back to nylon gears for fear of reccurrence. I am considering replacing the gears in all of these servos with the metal gears from the 9411's. Anyone else?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 9411SA Gear train failure?

I have probably 400 flights on these servos on the ailerons of my 2M pattern planes. Never had anything but good performance. I would guess there is some minor play in the linkage or tiny flutter type vibration that is stripping the servos. Metal gears will help, but they will just wear out quickly and get sloppy unless you find the source of the vibration.