Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Eclipse 7 is it not what we thought it would be or are we expecting to much?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Eclipse 7 is it not what we thought it would be or are we expecting to much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse 7 is it not what we thought it would be or are we expecting to much?

A lot of bang for the buck or not enough?

My thoughts on this is it has its plus and its minus, as far as a computer radio its OK, although lacking in duel elevator capability, also lacking the ability to mix for crow, and from what I have read the inability to add new programming. It does how ever offer 7 channels and the option to change radio frequency channel by way of module.

As far as performance goes I have no complaints, but I would really like to see the model display upon first turn on other then having to click over a switch to see the model.

I am at the point that I am expanding my plane arsenal with planes that use duel elevator servos and also learning more about ACRO but it appears the eclipse does not offer for duel servo mixing nor will I be able to mix in for crow on a powered airplane.

Are we asking for to much? or is it not what we thought it would be?

I am posting this thread in a positive since for future reference.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 02:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Eclipse 7 is it not what we thought it would be or are we expecting to much?

I can easily live without power crow but I will never, never be without a synthesized system agine!

John

Four Prism 7's with Spectra, One Eclipse 7 with Spectra and about 15 flight packs of various descriptions with maybe 12 more non Hitec packs. Soon will add another Eclipse.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Asking too much was my vote.

I haven't seen a TX that I couldn't think of some improvement that can be done to it. The Eclipse is an excellent radio for the money. What it does it does very well. If it doesn't do what you want it to do, either wait for the improved version or cough up extra bucks and buy a better radio.

There are several things I wish my 9C would do, but I learn to live within the confines of its ability and I'm happy. That is, until I see a new radio worthy of my upgrading.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Blackie

Well leave it up to Volfy, to hit me in the head.

Yes you are right Volfy, I only wish our present radios could be upgraded but then how would Hitec make their money? pirate:

I am content with what I have since my pocket book tells me so. I can get around the duel elevator problem and maybe squeeze by the Crow with some creative mixing, I will wait to see what the new radio holds for me.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Jon Wold

Me likes it much.

It does everything my old JR 347 does, apart from the PCM stuff.
At that low price, I'm perfectly happy with it.
Of course I want a new JR instead, but there's a money issue involved...

One thing I absolutely HATE though, is that the throttle CUT button is next to the throttle LOCK position. I had to go around at 1/4 throttle because I hit LOCK instead of cut at the threshold on our tiny airfield.

(I tend to cut the throttle when I'm almost down, to spare the prop on our rough strip)

Regards,

Jon
Old 10-08-2002, 03:22 PM
TomM

It does what I expected from it and I haven't yet explored all the mixes with it. I fly 4 channel sport and electric, 2 to 6 servo gliders (it crows with them) and a heli with it. I did some comparisons before I bought it and figured it fit between the 6XAS and the 9C, and that's what I got.

I wanted it mostly for the Spectra. This way I could fly all my stuff with it, without having to re-channel/re-crystal everything, and keep some old transmitters for back-ups in case I ever step on or drop the eclipse.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Big_Bad_John

Default Why not a "this is what I expected" ?

I have 2 eclipses; I have two teenage boys, each
fly pylon and combat. They have more that enough
functions for just about anything they want to do.
I got them with the spectra for $199 each.

They do *MORE* than we need or want.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:46 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default I vote: MORE than Expected!!!

How about some poll options like:

Exactly what I expected
More than what I expected

Why only negative options?
I'm very happy with my Eclipse 7. It does everything I need right now and has more features than I know what to do with. And the price was great! I understand that it doesn't fit every application but what radio does? OK maybe a Futaba 9ZWC2 with a Synthesized module but not everyone can afford one of those.

I knew what my needs (present and future) were before I decided on a radio. The Eclipse 7 meets and exceeds all of them.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Blackie

originally posted by TomM
I fly 4 channel sport and electric, 2 to 6 servo gliders (it crows with them)
You are correct Tom, please go back and re-read my post, you missed the part where I stated "powered". If I understand it correctly the gliders use the throttle channel for crow.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM
Blackie

originally posted by CyberPilot
Why only negative options?
Cyberpilot, maybe you misread but Asking to much would! be a positive question. The undecided... well thats as close as I can get to your question "Exactly what I expected". To answer your question not all or negative.

Exactly what I expected = Undecided

More than what I expected = Asking to much

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 04:04 PM
EJB

Default Hitec's "best"?

For a "top-of-the-line" radio in a mfg.'s line-up it does'nt come close to Futaba or JR.For $60 more you can get the Futaba 9C TX which has many more features.
They should have had the "up-grades" when they first came out with it.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Blackie

Actually EJB, theres only a $35 difference in price.

Servocity, Hitec eclipse 7 = 344.95

Towerhobbies, Futaba 9CAF = 379.99

Now if you are including shipping or tax then yes you will pay a bit more then just $35 on the Futaba.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 04:39 PM
TomM

$60 more? When I bought mine a few months ago the difference was more like $130. I just checked one site now- it's still $105 difference between the two with flight packs included. Anyway, I can't find a 9C with a synthisized module.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:41 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Cyberpilot, maybe you misread but Asking to much would! be a positive question
I've reread it several times and I still don't see how "Asking too much" is a positive.

If you are "Asking too much" then you are implying that the product in question is LESS than what you're asking for. Thereby casting a negative sentiment in comparison.

If however, you were asking too LITTLE of a product or if the product PROVIDED too much then that would be positive.

If this is what you were trying to ask

1 - Happy with it
2 - Neutral
3 - Not happy with it

Then I'm a 1 - Happy with it.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Volfy

Originally posted by Blackie
Well leave it up to Volfy, to hit me in the head.
Okay, I guess the *winky* did its job. I tried to be frank, but I was afraid you might take it the wrong way.

In case you didn't know, I actually bought an Eclipse w/ spectra back when I just got back to the hobby 1-1/2 yrs ago. I thought it was a great radio in that it was able to fly all my stock pile of older Airtronics gear as well as other Futaba stuff I picked up at swapmeets. If it is FM, the Eclipse can fly it.

Then Futaba came out with the 9C 3 months later and I just could resist. Sure, the 9C is IMHO way better programming-wise, but it is also newer and $100-$150 more expensive.

Fact is though, I do think we tend to expect whatever radio we have to do whatever we want to do, and that is just not possible.

In any case, I do agree with you wholeheartedly that these computer radios ought be have easier upgrade path built-in to them. I've been preaching that ever since I started posting here. BUT... I get the feeling manufacturers are hesitant to do that becasue they fear we will just keep "upgrading" new firmware never buy new radios again. This is just not true. Firmware upgrades can program in new capabilities and fix bugs - that's what they are good for and why they would be a good thing. But the manufacturers would still be in control of what version to release and what features they contain.

Then again, there is the dark side. If they make it too easy to "download" new firmware, people might start generating their own code and that might start a whole black market of "illegal programs". This is not to say that bad things WILL happens, just that I understand why manufacturers are moving cautiously.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Volfy

Randy, actually you have to compare the same basic TX + RX + 4 std servos. In that case:

Eclipse 7 is ~$274
9C is ~$374

Bringing in the Spectra will not be fair.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Blackie

I misunderstood, I thought the 9C had the spectra. :stupid:

Wishful thinking on my part.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Blackie

CyberPilot, now you got me confused :bananahea which ain't hard but yes I was trying to imply both sides of the coin. I meant by "asking to much" meaning content with or wanting more then what the true worth or value is. Also the question "Asking to much" was a question not a statement. hence; Am I asking to much for what should only be.

But I do agree that it could have been worded better.

Randy
Old 10-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default Exactly what I expected!

My eclipse was so good, I ordered another for a buddy box! there are some things it can't do, and many more that it can, but I can't! I like everything about it except one small thing: I would love to be able to dissable the throttle lock. There seems to be this big roll hanging out over my belt, that ocassionally hits that button!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Blackie

OK I'm done with this poll after investigating I guess the spectra does count for a lot compared to other manufactures radios. And for the price you do get quite a bit.

I would like to request this thread be closed.

Randy