Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AIRTRONICS *TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE*

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIRTRONICS *TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE*

Thought I'd pass this along to everyone that has or is thinking about getting Airtronics equipment!

I have an RD6000 and about 4-5 weeks ago I bought a new battery for the TX. I accidently plugged it in backwards. So it fried a few parts in the TX. Crap. So I ponder on getting a new TX or have it fixxed. I called Airtronics and asked if they could fix it. Talked to a gentleman there. He said "no problem, easy fix, parts are here, should take 4-5 days and will cost around $25 + shipping. I asked him again. You have parts and it will be 4-5 days. He said YES. I said ok. I'll send her in.

2 weeks later I get a message from them. I think great, my radio is done and they need my c. card info. I call them back up and talk to a lady there. She says that they are out of parts and can't fix the radio. The estimate is $51.xx. I said WHAT. When are parts coming in? She says, don't know, 2 days, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 8weeks we have no idea when parts are coming in. This was fri. before memorial day. I ponder what I should do over the weekend and decide I'll just buy a new TX on tues.

Tues. morning comes. I go to the LHS. Order up a new TX. Told my LHS owner about the situation and he said that's rediculous. But anyways. I need my cystal out of the my old TX for my new one. So I call up Airtronics after I get home from the LHS to ask for my crystal. I call them and they say. Oh parts are coming in tomorrow (wed.) I said great, I just ordered a new TX. He said, well, hear's what I'll do for you. I'll take a new RD6000 off the shelf and take the parts from it that yours needs and ship it out today. (TUES.) I said ok. So that was tues. My radio should be here mon. or tues of next week. I call my LHS up and cancel my order.

Mon. goes by, no brown truck, Tues. No brown truck. So I call them up and ask for a tracking number on my Radio. The lady looks up my account. Says "there is no tracking number". I ask why? She says "it hasn't shipped yet". *********************. I'm getting aggrivated by now. So she forwards me to the guy I talked to previously. He gets on the phone and appologizes up and down. The parts didn't come in, blah blah. But he said earlier he was taking a new radio off the shelf and using parts from it?????and shipping it that day??? WHAT'S going on here. SO he says. Hear's what I'll do for you. I'm going to send you a Brand new radio off the shelf on your channel to YOU today. You pay for $51.xx parts only. I said yeah thanks. I'm happy, but I'm still aggrivated with them. I get off the phone and think I better have a tracking number and I'd like to get this radio before the weekend at least. This is TUES. So I call them up, ask for a tracking number and said I'd like it overnited or 2nd day air. She said NO way, will be 5 working days. Then she says wait I'll check. Comes back on the phone. Says we'll do 2nd day air. NO charge to you, It will be there on thurs.

Guess what. I get home thurs. No radio. I call them up again. Talk to the guy there. He acts like he don't really remember me. I fill him in etc. OH yeah. I'll check to see what's going on and call you back ASAP. Well, he never called back and they closed. So I call this morning (Fri.) and talk to him. He's like yeah. It'll be there on MON> NEXT WEEK. I didn't get it out on tues. it went out Wed. I said well then it should be here today. (Fri.) because you said you were 2nd day airing it. He said sorry, It went out normal shipping 5 working days.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME TO EVER USE AIRTRONICS EQUIPMENT. I WILL GO WITH JR OR SOMETHING ELSE. THEY FIX STUFF FAST AND GET IT BACK TO YOU. EVEN WHEN ITS OUT OF WARRANTY THEY'LL FIX IT FOR FREE.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST, BUT THOUGHT PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW PEOPLE ARE TREATED BY CERTAIN COMPANIES.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
CP140

Default RE: AIRTRONICS *TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE*

Sorry to hear you're having such difficulty. I must say however, your experience in dealing with Airtronics is in complete contrast to mine. I had to send my transmitter in for some work a while back and the way it was handled by their customer service folks made me very happy.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I would have to agree, that is not fair. Do remember though, there is good and bad experiences associated with all radio's. I know it will be hard but don't let this be the only decision behind swapping brands and don't plug things in backwards anymore
Old 06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Customer service is one of the reasons I use Airtronics. Has been some of the best service I have ever experienced in the model world.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:23 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CP140

Sorry to hear you're having such difficulty. I must say however, your experience in dealing with Airtronics is in complete contrast to mine. I had to send my transmitter in for some work a while back and the way it was handled by their customer service folks made me very happy.
Same for me. Always had prompt, excellent service. VG6, RD6000, RD8000 and Stylus.

Of course, I've never plugged anything in backwards. You must have fried something that they normally don't repair hence the parts shortage.

Hope you get it taken care of soon
Don
Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Well the last part of my original post is wrong. The guy at Airtronics said he shipped it on Wed. normal shipping and would get here on Mon. next week. Obviously he don't even know what's going on, cuz the radio showed up on my steps this morning 2nd day air.

SO, after 5 weeks of run-around I got to fly tonight for an hour or so. It felt so good.

I've never ever had problems with Airtronics until this incident. That same TX went in for repair last Oct. because the switch was bad. It was repaired promply and sent back.

The parts needed for it was common. The guy said oh yeah. We get tons of them in when ppl plug in new batteries and either have the wrong plug or just put it in backwards.

I just wish they would have told me the truth about when parts were coming in. Because I was initially just going to order a new RD8000 to upgrade and sell the RD6000 when it came back. But when they tell you that the parts are here and will be fixed today and shipped out, what are you suppose to believe?

I like Airtronics equipment. It is quality stuff and the price isn't horendous like some others. I;ll prolly stay with them and chalk this up as a learning experience.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

Although I like Airtronics radios, I don't care much for their service. I had to send my unit in for service, and it came back still broken. I had to send it in again. Since I live in Indiana, the total turnaround was over a month. That's another problem too. All warranty repair has to be done at their place in California!

Finally, the big tech guy, Brian, seems to have an attitude problem. My last radio purchase was Futaba, and I'm sticking with them.

[&o]Suzie[&o]
Old 06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Suzie Miller

Although I like Airtronics radios, I don't care much for their service. I had to send my unit in for service, and it came back still broken. I had to send it in again. Since I live in Indiana, the total turnaround was over a month. That's another problem too. All warranty repair has to be done at their place in California!

Finally, the big tech guy, Brian, seems to have an attitude problem. My last radio purchase was Futaba, and I'm sticking with them.

[&o]Suzie[&o]
I have been flying Airtronics equipment since 1986. In that time, Ithe only problem I have had with their service dept. was when I sent my Stylus in to have the onboard battery changed and they sent it back in someone elses case. But I guess I have been lucky since I have never had any Airtronics equipment fail. All of my service has been of the checkup and preventitive maintainance variety. In the case of Brian Tucker's attitude. Well that one puzzles me because I have talked to him several times just asking tech. questions, and I have never got the impression he has an attitude problem. Makes me wonder if there may be more to the story.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I am one of the few R/C'ers in Australia using Sanwa (Airtronics) equipment. Even though I didn't buy from an Airtronics dealer, and my equipment is on 36 mHz, I have sent my gear to Airtronics by air freight and they have serviced it - event though they didn't have to. Even repaired some PCM Rx's I had given up for dead (replaced an IC chip) at very reasonable cost.

I have nothing but good things to say about their service - and I live across the big pond over 10,000 miles away.

Why did I use Airtronics in California?

I sent my gear there as we have NO service or spares back-up in Australia for Sanwa equipment. They were a last resort, and came through for me. I will use them again. Brian was great and very sympathetic.

fiery

Old 06-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

Your post doesn't make much sense unless you're a glutton for punishment or there isn't another brand of radio with a service facility in Australia?

Although I agree Airtronics is a fine radio, Futaba, JR, and Hitec and probably others share the same quality. So far, Japanese products such as Futaba, JR, and Airtronics have kept up their standards of high performance and excellent quality even though they are manufactured offshore (from Japan). Frankly, I think Futaba is the best of the bunch with more features and easier programming at reasonable prices. JR does have an advantage with a 3-year warranty, but I think their programming is not intuitive and more difficult to set up. And except for Airtronics, the others have more available service facilities which are likely to be closer for faster turnaround.

About the only advantage Air has is one can often find it at a very low price. However, they are somewhat backwards as evidenced by their late adoption of their Z connectors. Also the TX battery uses a non-standard connector. When I put a NiMH is my TX, I had to spend four bucks for an adapter.

The only system they have that compares remotely to my Futaba Super 9C is their Stylus which I never see advertised. Also, after having examined the programming on the RD6000, I can only say it's a backwards and clunky interface!

Finally, your post amused me because I recalled some years back, I was in kindergarten, when the Japanese sport bikes began appearing on the roads in America, my father remarked about the Harley and BMW riders, "These guys will never change with the times!"

Regards,

Suzie
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 PM
PlagueWielder

First of all the Stylus is not in the 9C league. Its in the 9Z and 10X league.
Secondly, if you think the RD6000 programming is bad, the 9C should be terrible. The programming on the RD6000 and RD8000 is as easy as it gets.

Another thing is that you can use the Airtronics radios with any reciever you want. All of them, doesnt matter which brand it is. Cant do that with any other radio...

Go to competitions and you will see the Stylus. A lot of people use it, a lot more than you think.

There are two real downsides to Airtronics: 1 is that they dont have any new radio out although the Stylus is still very capable. 2 is that their servos are so damn expensive (they are better than the same JR or Futaba though).
Old 06-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

The receiver must have the same shift (+ or -) as the transmitter and use the same frequency band and frequency. BTW, the Super 9C TX does have the abilty to take a synthetic module for changing frequencies within the band. There is also a Futaba RX that does the same thing. The Air TX will only work with RXs that are + shift and of course within the same band and frequency.

The Futaba 9Z and JR 10X have a terrible interface that isn't a bit intuitive. I don't know anyone who ever like the 9Z. I think they stopped making it. The 9C Super not only has a very simple interface, but it's very intuitive. About the only bad thing about the radio is the manual with all of its misprints and clumsy tortured explanations. I dumped it and went directly to the radio and entered my program for my US 40.

Incidentally, the Super 9C is very inexpensive. In fact, it's so cheap it doesn't make sense to buy a less capable model and move up. Regarding the power of this unit, this is the end of the line for me. If I ever need more channels and mixing, I want someone to commit me. I will have become to involved in this hobby.

If the stylus is so popular, why doesn't Air ever advertise it? I don't know of any major hobby retailer that carries it. It must be very expensive? I have never seen one yet at any flying field I have visited. In any case, the fact still holds that Air service leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't care if their radios were gold plated. If I can't get service within a reasonable amount of time, I don't want their stuff.

I do like Air servos and the extra torque even the cheapest delivers (94102Z). I have a VG400 for my simple 4-channel plane, and it works very well. Also there is another problem I have noticed. Air likes to dump a lot of it stuff with people who offer combos. Some of this stuff remains unsold for extended periods of time. During this time, the batteries deteriorate. Also, I believe some of there older stuff is gotten rid of this way.

Regards,

Suzie
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
TLH101

Suzie wrote:
"The receiver must have the same shift (+ or -) as the transmitter and use the same frequency band and frequency. BTW, the Super 9C TX does have the abilty to take a synthetic module for changing frequencies within the band. There is also a Futaba RX that does the same thing. The Air TX will only work with RXs that are + shift and of course within the same band and frequency. "

This first paragraph show that you really do not know much about Airtronics. Most all Airtronics computer radios are shift selectable to operate on + or - shift. That means that they wcan, indeed, fly Futaba, Hitec, JR & Airtronics PPM receivers.
As far as the Stylus goes, for what it is capable of, the price is quite affordable. If you need more capability you just install a program card. They have cards for fixed wing, sailplane & helicopters. If a flyer were to have all 3 cards, i dont beleive thare is a radio out there that would compare. If you were to attend a few high end compititions, you would see your share of Stylus radios. Especially at silplane, or scale events. Airtronics does not need to advertise the Stylus, it sells itself, and there are a lot of them out there. Bought mine 5 or 6 years ago, and it still will do anything I need for my scale bigbirds, and some thing that others wont.
And as far as service goes, I have been treated like I was the only customer they had. They have given service that was way beyond the what was expected. Only Hitec compares to them in sevice quality.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
blkbird68

Old 06-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

What have you been smoking? I have looked at the specs on the Tower and Air sites, and I don't see anything about shift selectable Air TXs. And why would one want one? Any RX that has the same shift as the TX will work (and the same band and frequency too).

And the remark about the Stylus selling itself also doesn't make any sense. How would one know it existed without some advertising? Also I can't think of a product made that doesn't get some advertising even the most expensive and exclusive.

Also comparing the list of features on the 9C and Stylus, I don'[t see anything that's a big deal. Frankly I think you guys should work on learning how to use the sticks instead of relying on mixes. About the only thing I use a computer radio for is things that a pilot can't do (like Crow or full-span ailerons). Some guy commented to me about how he loved his computer radio, because he could just throw a switch do do some manuever. I countered by saying, "A mix or switch isn't going to do a crosswind landing!"

Regards,

Suzie
Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
blkbird68

What have you been smoking? I have looked at the specs on the Tower and Air sites, and I don't see anything about shift selectable Air TXs. And why would one want one? Any RX that has the same shift as the TX will work (and the same band and frequency too).
??? You are proving time and again you have no clue as to what you are talking about yet you want to bash someone else????

You have NOT looked at the specs on the Airronics site.....it does list that capability. And so does the description on the tower website.

Just curious....have you ever really had an airtronics radio of any type and have you ever honestly had to send it in for service??? You have shown that you have no knowledge of Airtronics equipment so I am beginning to think that your story is fictional.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Suzie Miller
Banned

OK big guy why don't you prove it? And while you're at it, give me a list of Air TX that are shift selectable.

I own a VG400 which is a nice little unit, but the service has been very poor. I certainly wouldn't buy Air again.

And while I'm into bashing, why don't you work on your grammar? It's really terrible!

Suzie
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
TLH101

Suzie, your slip is showing.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
blkbird68

You are making false claims. The capabilities of the Airtronics equipment are available to anyone capable of reading. If you cannot read, then it will not help if I or anyone else gives you a list of shift selectable Tx's.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: Suzie Miller

And the remark about the Stylus selling itself also doesn't make any sense. How would one know it existed without some advertising? Also I can't think of a product made that doesn't get some advertising even the most expensive and exclusive.

Also comparing the list of features on the 9C and Stylus, I don'[t see anything that's a big deal. Frankly I think you guys should work on learning how to use the sticks instead of relying on mixes. About the only thing I use a computer radio for is things that a pilot can't do (like Crow or full-span ailerons). Some guy commented to me about how he loved his computer radio, because he could just throw a switch do do some manuever. I countered by saying, "A mix or switch isn't going to do a crosswind landing!"

Regards,

Suzie
Suzie, the ATX computer transmitters are shift selectable. Why? Because if you buy an off brand receiver (Hitecs are cheaper than ATX) with a positive shift you can still use your ATX transmitter. Funny how you believe the Tower Website over actual living people who own the equipment.

The Stylus does sell itself. I knew all about it without advertising by simply looking at the Airtronics catalog in my Hobby Shop and later by looking at the Airtronics website. I own two Styli without ever seeing one ad. At your next fly-in, check out all the other transmitters. you might see one laying around.

A mix switch allows you to turn on and off features you want. Just because you use your computer radio for basic features doesn't make those who choose to use the full capability of their computer radio any less of a pilot. I have yet to "throw a switch" to do a manuever unless you're talking about a snap roll switch which probably exists on your 9C (it's on my 8U). I think it's more fun to do a snap roll by stirring the sticks but the switch is there anyway.

When the hole gets over your head, stop digging.

Don
Old 06-23-2005, 04:21 PM
TLH101

OK Suzie, here's what the Stylus will do, and has done for at least 5 years:

STANDARD SYSTEM FEATURES FOR ALL TYPES OF MODELS

End Point Adjustment
Centering Adjustment
Servo Reversing
Dual Rates
Alternate Setup
Trim Memory
Compensation Mixing
Switch Assignability
Voltage Display
Stopwatch / Timer
Mode Selection
PPM/FM or PCM/FM Four Model Memory
Model Setup Naming
Model Setup Reset
Model Setup Copy
Memory Card System
Plug-in RF Module
Display Switch
Direct Servo Control
Fail Safe (PCM Mode)
Low Voltage Alarm
Switch Position Alarm
Contrast Adjustment

AIRCRAFT FEATURES (without card!)
Exponential
4 Snap Roll Programs
Bi-Directional Mixing
Elevator/Flap Mixing
Flap/Elevator Mixing
Spoileron Mixing
Aileron Differential
Spoiler/Elevator Mixing
Cross Trims
Twin Throttle Option

HELICOPTER FEATURES (without card!)
Exponential
4 Flight Modes
4 Pitch Curves
3 Throttle Curves
Flight Mode Trim Offsets
4 Revolution Mixers
Throttle Hold
Hovering Throttle
Hovering Pitch
High Pitch Trim
Low Pitch Trim

SAILPLANE FEATURES (without card!)
2A 2F E R Template
Flight Mode Switch
Elevator Presets
Aileron Differential
Landing Differential
Aileron/Rudder Mixing
Flap/Elevator Mixing
Camber/Elevator Mixing
Spoiler/Elevator Mixing
Elevator/Camber Mixing
Crow Mixing
V-Tail Mixing

Then , for a few bucks you can expand with a feature card:

Expo for Ailerons, Elev. and Rudder
VTR for Ailerons, Elev. and Rudder
Triple Rate Aileron
Triple Rate Elevator
Dual Rate Rudder
4 Snap Roll Programs
Five Compensation Mixers, independent mix rate each direction
Programable Delays for Comp Mixers
2 Bi-Directional Mixers
Gain Control for Bi-Directional Mixer
Elevator/Flap Mixing
Flap/Elevator Mixing
Spoileron Mixing
Aileron Differential - single adjustment
Spoiler/Elevator Mixing
Elevator/Flaperon Mixing
Dual Elevator Channels/Fun Fly Mixing
Aileron/Elevator Mixing (Tailerons)
Twin Throttle Option
Throttle Hold for Twin Throttles
Cross Trims
Trim Authority Adjustment
Automatic Trim Offset
Dynamic Trim Memory
Assignable Auxillary Controls
Assignable Stick Switches
Programmable Mixing Delays
Programmable Channel Delays
Throttle Stick Position Alarm

but wait, that's the Aero card, you could use the Heli card:

Expo for Pitch, Roll and Tail Rotor
VTR for Pitch, Roll and Tail Rotor
5 Rate Aileron
5 Rate Elevator
5 Rate Rudder
5 Flight Modes
5 Five Point Pitch Curves
5 Revolution Mixers
4 Five Point Throttle Curves
5 Five-Point Tail Rotor Curves
Throttle Hold
Trim Offsets for Each Flight Mode
Automatic Trim Offset
8 Compensation Mixers, (5) multi-point
1 Bi-Directional Mixer
Gain Control for Bi-Directional Mixer
Hovering Throttle
Hovering Pitch
High Pitch Trim
Low Pitch Trim
5 Gyro Gain Adjustments
Programmable Flight Mode Delays
Programmable Tail Rotor Delays
Dynamic Trim Memory
Assignable Auxillary Controls
Throttle Stick Position Alarm

or a Sailplane card:

Expo for Ailerons, Elev. and Rudder
VTR for Ailerons, Elev. and Rudder
Dual Rate Aileron, Elev. and Rudder
2A 2F E R Aircraft Template
2A/2F< >E R Aircraft Template
2A IF E R F5B Aircraft Template
3 Position Flight Mode Switch
Elevator Presets
Aileron Differential
Launch Differential
Reflex Differential
Landing Differential
Aileron/Rudder Mixing
Aileron/Flap Mixing
Flap/Elevator Mixing
Camber/Elevator Mixing
Spoiler/Elevator Mixing
Gear/Elevator Mixing
Elevator/Camber Mixing
Crow Mixing
V-Tail Mixing
3 Compensation Mixers
Dynamic Trim Memory
Assignable Auxiliary Controls
Programmable Flight Mode Delays
Programmable Mixing Delays

and if you need to store models, you can get a card that will store up to 50 models.

What does you FUT 9c do that the Stylus wont????????
Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
blkbird68

Funny how you believe the Tower Website over actual living people who own the equipment.

The info. is on the tower website......all one has to do is read it. I would bet money at this point that there is no Suzie Miller even in the computer of the service dept. at Airtronics.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
hattend

Also, just because you asked...this is off the ATX website.

RD8000- Servo Reversing, Servo Centering, Data Reset, 10 Model Memory, Aileron and Elevator Expo, PPM/INV PPM PCM1 PCM2 Modulation,

RD6000 - ....Trim Step, Model Type, Switch Reversing, Model Copy, Model Reset, Modulation (4 types),

Stylus - ...FM or PCM Modulation

Don
Old 06-23-2005, 10:29 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I have used Stylus for about 5 years now. I used to fly a Futaba 9ZAP. Compared to the Stylus, it was much more difficult to use and not nearly as capable. I got rid of it. The only feature that needs changed on the Stylus in a new version would be allow servo assignment to any channel like my EVO12.

The best feature of the Stylus is the shift select. There PCM is also the fast updating, even better than the new Futaba 14MZ.

Airtronics is working on a new top of the line radio. I can't wait to see it. If it follows there past accomplishments, it should be great.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
blkbird68

Airtronics is working on a new top of the line radio. I can't wait to see it. If it follows there past accomplishments, it should be great.
One thing I hope they keep in the new radio is the battery module. I love using the same modules in my Stylus and M8. I use two "dry" battery modules loaded with 2500mah NiMH's

It would be nice if they had a module to hold lithiums.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.