Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

PCM FM DUAL CONVERSION QUESTION

Old 06-12-2005, 07:51 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM FM DUAL CONVERSION QUESTION

This may have been answered a million times but I looked on the forum and tried a search and I cant find anything. I would like to know if a PCM Tx will work with a Fm dual conversion RX or the other way around, PCM rx with a FM dual Conversion TX?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: PCM FM DUAL CONVERSION QUESTION

Most TX that can transmit PCM can also do PPM
Which one do you have.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:03 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

All new computer radio's will do both. You change from PCM to FM in the radio, but both must match. The radio and reciever must both be the same to work, but you can have two planes one on PCM and the other on FM. I use mostly PCM now because of the value of my planes. Too give you an example. Sunday a friend of mine was at the field with the same brand radio (JR) on FM and I was on PCM. We turned on my radio (PCM) and then his radio, nothing happened. Then we did the same on his plane and his plane went nuts. Wouldn't try this in the air but it shows the advantage of PCM. Dennis
Old 06-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Or disadvantage,,,,,,,,,,, they're both FM.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your question "if a PCM Tx will work with a Fm dual conversion RX or the other way around, PCM rx with a FM dual Conversion TX?" is somewhat ambigious: in the first place there is no such thing as a dual conversion TX. Also, most modern PCM is FM, I think what you mean is "can a PWM (pulse width modulation ) transmitted signal drive a PCM (pulse code modulated) receiver. The answer is no, you must use a PCM (which is also FM) transmitter to drive a P)CM reciever. Not only that, they must be of the same brand; i.e. a Futaba PCM transmitter will not drive any other brand PCM receiver. There is even a mismatch withing the same brands as an old 512 bit PCM transmitter will not drive the new 1024 bit receivers or vice versa. Hitec's new PCM will not drive their old PCM receivers. However, most modern PCM transmitters can be set up to drive a regualr PWM receiver, whether the receiver is single or dual conversion. You also have to be transmitting on the same shift as your receiver. Most Futaba and Hitec are negative shift, JR and Airtronics are positive shift. Check your instruction manual on how to set this up.