Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio For Beginner

Old 01-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Patrick-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio For Beginner

I also posted this in the electrics forum:

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. I recently got the RC flying bug when my brother got a Megatech Merlin electric plane for christmas. Now I want one that actually works (The Merlin is pretty bad). I want to stay electric so I can fly in the schoolyard near me. The Graupner Tipsy looks like a good bet. I have seen some favorable reviews on the web. My question is this: Should I buy the suggested 3-chan radio at Hobby Lobby (HTR971K)or get a better radio that I could use on future planes? I am already going to have two radios, and I am not looking forward to having to buy another one when I decide I want ailerons. Would you recommend buying a four/five/six channel radio now? Am correct in assuming that I can fly a 3-chan plane using a four or five channel radio? Which one would you suggest? I surely don't want to spend more than $200-250 on it.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 01-04-2002, 06:04 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Patrick,

Well, you got the r/c bug that has hit us all. If you feel that this is a hobby you will want to continue in then buy the best radio you can afford (maybe one step higher than you can afford). You can fly a single channel airplane on a 9 channel radio. Extra channels
just mean you can drive that many serperate functions at once, dont have to use them all on every plane but it is nice to have the option too. Most people will need a minimum of five channels once they have progressed past trainers (ie: retracts, flaps) and some will require more depending on type of aircraft. Get as much radio as you can afford so you wont have to purchase anouther system down the road, it works out cheaper in the long run.

Welcome to the world of R/C, now the addiction starts

Todd
Old 01-04-2002, 07:59 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Firstly I would say find a local club and see what radios the instructors use.

Look at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

to find a club close to you.

Then buy whatever brand radio the majority of the instructors use. It makes no sense buying a JR radio if the instructors only use Futaba.

Then after making the brand choice I would also suggest buying as much radio as you can afford. Definitely do not buy the 3-channel system.

At a minimum you will need 4 channels. Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder.

Then a little bit further down the track you will want 6 channels to add retracts and flaps.

If your budget is around $200-$250 as you mention, then you will also want to buy a computer radio. This way you can have one transmitter and store model configurations in memory so you can fly more than one plane from the one transmitter (1 at a time of course! )

When I started out I bought a Futaba T6XAs and am now wishing I bought something better. It cost me around $230 when I bought it.

Moving up to a better radio does not only add more channels, but it adds programming features in the radio too. My 6 channel radio has enough channels to fly a heli but it is a little lacking in the heli programming department.

Another tip! When I started I wasn't very interested in helis. Now for some reason the bug has bitten me and I want a heli. So it is even more important to get the best possible radio as you never know where this hobby will take you and it is a real annoyance having to shell out more cash to replace something that you should have bought properly in the first place.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:45 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Well said Mav!....Good points...
Old 01-05-2002, 01:44 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Beginner radio

If you want to spend about $150.00 check out FMA Direct's T80RF system. Click American Flag to enter the products display
Old 01-18-2002, 04:53 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beginner

Patrick, you have to ask yourself, if you think that you will stay in the hobby. If you think you will, then buy the most radio you can afford ! It's the RC variant of murphy's law :

Just when you think you don't need more channels/functions, you WILL fall in love with a model for which you need more !

Michael
Old 01-18-2002, 04:57 PM
I'llflyit

Default check local field

Excellent advice Maverick!
I chose to buy a JR radio for learning with. I went down to my local flying field and almost everyone is using Airtronics. The club I belong to owns an Airtronics buddy box to. I wish I had Mavericks advice then, my learning curve would have been cut in half!! If you have someone already to help you, find out what radios will slave to his. If you don't have someone to help, take a trip to your local club and find someone. Very good advice !!!!!