Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Interference NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Blackdog
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Interference NEED HELP!

Here is the situation. I'm getting sporadic radio interference on a set up I have in my 60 size yellow cap. The radio is a JR 652 with an R700 FM receiver. With the antenna down on the radio the elevator and rudder are moving back and forth. It's happens on ONLY the rudder and elevator. It doesn't happen all the time either. It's driving me crazy! I figured it was some type of interference inside the house so I went outside in the yard and It still does it. The receiver was recently checked out by horizon, because it was crashed 2 months ago. I even changed out the receiver and it still glitches. I know the radio is fine because I fly another plane and a heli on this radio with no problems. The glitching happens anywhere from 2 feet away up to 20 feet away.

The weird thing about it is that I'll be walking around my basement or outside to make it glitch and it won't. Then I'll continue to walk around and it starts glitching again. So I go back to the same location where it made the plane glitch and it does it again. One other time with the radio on and plane on of course, I put my hand in front of the radio between the radio and the plane and the rudder and elevator started deflecting, then move my hand away and it would stop, put my hand back and it started glitching again. My pull/pull setup on the rudder is not touching my elevator push rods. I'm using a Electrodynamics servo reverser for the dual elevator pushrods.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I need your help on this situation. It is greatly appreciated.

Blackdog
Old 10-15-2002, 12:17 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the ED servo reverser from the system. You can hook up one elevator or both with a Y just for testing. I had used ED buffered servo leads in the past, but with a new WC II Tx, I have had to pull the ED stuff from my last two planes. All kinds of glitching before - rock solid afterwards. I also use two elevator servos and mix them with the Tx - allows for micro adjustments.

Dan
Old 10-15-2002, 03:31 AM
Blackdog

Default Any other suggestions??

Thanks Dan I will look into changing out the servo reverser. But I don't know if that is the problem. I used this exact setup in my last cap with no problems.

It's a weird interferance problem though. Why is the elevator and rudder going crazy when I put my hand in between the radio and the plane. I was able to duplicate that situation 2 times. Other than that I'm waving my radio around in my front yard and It glitches. When I move again it stops then I go back to the spot where I was able to get it to glitch and it moves again.

The neighbors must thinks I'm nuts doing this dance in the yard around a model plane with a device in my hands

Please more suggestions!

Blackdog
Old 10-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Blackdog

Default Any one out there??

Does anyone have any suggestions besides what Rcpilot suggested? Not only is nobody responding to my post here, but I also posted this in the JR direct support forum and the Rep is not responding there either and he has been on a few times to respond to other posts.

Blackdog
Old 10-16-2002, 10:21 PM
thomasb

These problems are royal PITA to resolve, so be patient. Please provide a full inventory of R/C gear model numbers, including things like servos, gyros, and ALL other R/C accessories that you installed.

What cable lengths are between each servo and the Rx? Describe the battery pack (cell count and mAH). Is the pack on an extension?

The little details matter, all the way down to antenna routing. The cruel thing is that radio gear that worked fine in one model may act up in the next -- the exact installation will impact EMI/RFI issues.

Have you attempted to isolate the problem by disconnecting all the servos (except rudder and elevator) and then plugging each back in, one at a time, to see when things go nuts?

At ANY place do you have metal pushrods touching other metal objects (control arms, throtter arm, horns, etc.)? Look carefully -- assume nothing.

We RCU'ers may not be able to offer a solution, but perhaps something obvious will jump out. We just need a bit more info.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Blackdog

Default THANKS

Radio JR 652
reciever Jr r700 and Jr r600
All Jr 537 servos.
Elevator Electrodynamic servo reversing y
standard switch
antenna routed out the side of the fuse not touching anything.
battery 6mah Jr battery no extension.

The glitching occurs sporadically. not all the time. I've changed out the reciever to the R600 from the r700 and even try my old Jr 226 reciever. It's not the reciever. I took the servo reverser out and used a buffered Y, still glitched. I even switched out the radio to the JR622, stilled glitched. I swapped cyrstals from both radios one on channel 36 the other on channel 24 still glitched. I've try everything.

What I'm finding is that it only happens at certain locations in the basement and when outside in the neighborhood. For instance standing in the middle of the street about 50 feet away with the antenna down it's fine. I'll walk around and maybe 3 feet away from my previous postions the rudder and elevator start deflecting. Same thing when in the basement only at certain locations.

I've only been living in this neighborhood and house for the last year and have set up 3 planes in that time with no problems. My conclusion is that it is interference from with in the neighborhood. I have never noticed this problem before because it happens only in certain spots.

I pulled out one plane that I have futaba radio gear on and went back to the EXACT location where my JR gear glitched and I was able to get the Futaba gear to do the same.

Thanks

Blackdog
Old 10-17-2002, 12:49 AM
thomasb

Sounds like you have it under control then. Drag the model out to an open field and range test the heck out of it. I typically expect 100' or more with the antenna fully down so that the lowest segment is all that is exposed.

As far as interference around the house, it often is NOT from a radio transmitter. The evil sources include oil fired heating systems, triac controlled lights, gas discharge lighting, and just about everything in between. In other words, don't just look for a radio tower -- EMI/RFI takes other forms as well.

If your field tests still hint at a glitch problem, then isolate the problem down to the basic components. This is a painstaking process and requires the patience of a saint. Once you identify the problem a fix can be devised.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 AM
Blackdog

Default Thanks appreciated

Thanks for your response. It's greatly appreciated.

Blackdog
Old 10-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the plane out to your flying field and do the normal range test . You may be overloading your Automatic Gain Control with the transmitter too close. If you get a good range test odds are you are AOK .

So where is the CLOWN who used to say JR had super duper special high tech top secret alphabet soup circuits to prevent this ?
Old 10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Darryl

I suppose this is with the antenna down? Try this..place the aircraft in question on a cardboard box or something which holds it of the ground (outside) about a foot..see if still glitches? Extend antenna and see if it glitches?? move away from the aircraft and see if it glitches. Possibly RX is suffering from swamping (to close). I suspect motor is not running with all these tests???? Try rerouting RX antenna..make sure RX antenna is not broken, make sure RX antenna is not coiled up. A lot of radios will seem to glitch when sitting on the ground and TX very close by. Good luck Darryl
Old 10-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Blackdog

Default Thank you all very much

All these test are with the antenna down and motor not running. I gave it the ultimate range test at the flying field with the radio antenna down and the reciever antenna on the outside of the fuse on the opposite side I was walking away from it. I put the radio near my stomach and walked away from the plane with my back to the plane. It glitched about 30 feet away. When I turned around and faced the plane the glitching stopped. I continued to walk away from the plane facing the plane up to 100 feet away with no glitching. I walked circles around the plane about 75 feet away with no glitching.

The weather was bad so I didn't fly it. I'll range test one more time and fly her this weekend.

Thank you,

Blackdog