Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 149 DP as Dual receivers

Old 10-21-2002, 01:16 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 149 DP as Dual receivers

Ive installed two 149 dp receivers in a 33% plane, the range check w/ both receivers on is about 20-30 paces, not very good compared to my other plane. With either receiver off the range improves for the one left on, but it doesnt localize to one receiver.

Im interested if anyone else has used these receivers in tandem and if so what range check you get.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 03:56 AM
Giant Scale

I am running 2 129dp receivers(predecessor to the 149dp) and my range with the transmitter antenna down is at least 100 feet. Something is wrong with your setup. Whatever you do don't fly the plane until you figure out what is wrong. With a 33% plane you may want to consider using only 1 receiver. In any case you should be getting much better range than 20-30 feet. I wonder if the problem may lie in your transmitter,maybe the antenna connection is loose..etc. Do you have another transmitter on the same frequency to rule this out?
Old 10-22-2002, 11:38 AM
byoung466

I swappped my module into a buddys transmitter and got the same range of 20-30 paces (which is probably 60-100 feet).

I tried the receiver ive been flying in another plane in this plane last night and got about another 15 feet.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:48 AM
Giant Scale

How are the antennas routed? Are they in a tube or run outside the plane. Do you have any other wires that run near the antenna. Is there any carbon fiber near the reciever?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:29 AM
byoung466

The antennaes are routed inside the fuse along the transition at the edge of the upper turtledeck, one antennae on either side. Initially the antennae were routed next to the rear elevator servo wires, I moved those to the bottom after having this problem. It does have rudder cables running to the back, I could switch those to kevlar.

I have twisted the rear elevator servo wires now and removed some looped wires near the receivers. Seperated the receivers and wires an inch or so more, and shortened some of the servo extensions.

Its interesting that I put my receivers in as per the previous owner, he was getting 150 feet of range. With the changes I have discussed above I have improved my range by about 20 feet, so Im at 120ft. Now I just hope with the engine running I dont have problems, as the throttle and choke servo are within 6 inches of the ignition. I might be moving those next.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:45 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several GS models with Futaba's 149 PCM RX's installed in tandem configuration. It sounds like you covered all the bases.

Have you looked at Futaba's web-site for suggestions on the expected range? Do you have one section of the antenna mast extended?

With any model especially gasser's, I suggest an on the ground engine running at idle and then mid-throttle range test. If you have a substantial difference in range you may have a problem that's generating interference.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:12 PM
byoung466

Well, Futaba wants 100 ft w/ antennae down on 8uap and Im a bit over that now. I just hope it holds up with the engine running I'll be ok with that. First time with a plane this big and dual receivers so Im a little conservative.

Futaba site was helpful, thanks for reminding me of that source. Interesting that my 8uap manual says to perform a range check, but doesnt instruct how or how far. Ive always just went with the antennae down and 100ft or better, but Im used to getting 200-300 feet.

I will swap the new receivers into my old plane to double check range that way.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:41 PM
byoung466

Want to thank everyone for their input. I wound up re-orienting my receivers to be inline with the antennae, twisted all long servo leads, moved the leads to the tail into the bottom of the fuse w/ antennae in top, seperated the antennae as much as possible, shortened the leads with excess length, and removed looping around the receiver.

I wound up with a solid 100 feet range antennae collapsed, with no loss of range with the engine running. And the plane has survived 3 flights so far.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:14 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Make sure the antenna's aren't running parallel. run one from top to bottom in down the lenth of the fuse and vise versa. See if this helps any. Carbon Fiber will also decrease your range.

-Kelly