Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Trainer Cord....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Shapedlocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Cord....

Hi,
Can u help me, me and a friend would like to hook our transmitters up with the trainer cord,,, we have a futaba trainer cord and i have the futaba 6x super(a field force 6 i think) and my friend has one of Futaba skysports models, MY manual tells me what to do, and then tells me to take out one of the transmitter modules. This to means openeing her up and de-soldering all the r.f stages, and of course we dont want to do that. THERE MUST BE A EASIER WAY or the manual has got it wrong, Our transmitters are compatible and we have the correct cable,
Can someone tell me what to do plz...
Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:26 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Trainer Cord....

I think what the manual is saying is that you have to take the Crystal out of the "buddy" box. In fact you can probably take the battery and antenna off of the "buddy box" to assure it doesn't transmit a signal.

Mike
Old 10-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Prboz-RCU-delete

Default Trainer Cord....

I am currently using the buddy box system with 2 JR radios, My master is the radio I use most of the time when we fly and the slave is a 72 mzh (Illegal in Australia 36 mzh here) without an aerial or crystrals the only thing it has in it is a battery.

Prboz
Old 10-23-2002, 06:17 AM
olivier

Default Trainer Cord....

Hello there,

For the slave transmitter, the only thing to do is to remove the crystal, that's all. Removing the crystal will then disable the HF-part of the transmitter, nothing will be transmitted, and no danger of burning the last step-power transistor.
If you use the original DIN-DIN Futaba trainer cord, then do NOT switch on the slave transmitter, it will and must be powered by the master transmitter.

For more info about buddy box principles, have a look at my website TX2TX.

Happy flights, happy learning sessions,
Olivier
Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 AM
Prboz-RCU-delete

Default Trainer Cord....

Not sure about the futaba but the jr slave is powered by it's own battery it won't work without the battery.

But yes when you plug the lead in it turns itself on.

Prboz
Old 10-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Steve Lewin

Default Trainer Cord....

That's right, a JR buddy box needs a charged battery. Futaba/Hitec/Sanwa don't, they are powered from the master transmitter. And as several people have said removing the crystal is all you need do.

Steve
Old 10-23-2002, 03:08 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trainer Cord....

You do not have to remove the crystal on the slave for Futaba or Airtronics, just do not turn on the slave transmitter. If you are using the Hitec trainer cord with either Hitec or Futaba/Hitec combo, you don't have to remove the crystle then either. it is only when you have the HiTec as a slave with a Futaba master and Futaba trainer cord that you have to remove the crystal in the slave (Hitec) unit. Note that the HiTec cord is marked on the ends, one for master, other for slave.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:16 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default Re: Trainer Cord....

Originally posted by Shapedlocket
MY manual tells me what to do, and then tells me to take out one of the transmitter modules. This to means openeing her up and de-soldering all the r.f stages, and of course we dont want to do that.
Just to clarify this part, push a couple tabs and pull module out - your not desoldering anything! Esentually the same as pulling the crystal on non-module equipment since the crystal is in the module.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Shapedlocket

Default Trainer Cord....

well friend i have not looked in the tx, but from experience removing the tx module means de-soldering r.f stages or at least 1 of them, but thanks anyway
Old 10-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Shapedlocket

Default Trainer Cord....

By the way guys thanks for the help, this weekend all being well we shall be trying it out.
many thanks again..
Old 10-24-2002, 09:50 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default Trainer Cord....

Originally posted by Shapedlocket
well friend i have not looked in the tx, but from experience removing the tx module means de-soldering r.f stages or at least 1 of them, but thanks anyway
Your confusing the instructions for a modular radio with your need to go tearing into your non-module radio. When is the last time you saw a radio manual suggesting you tear into the guts of your radio and get into the soldering?

"To remove the module pull the module outward while pushing tabs toward the center"

Instructions from Futaba modular radio manual. If you don't have a modular radio it's tough to remove the tramsmitter module.