Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

R148DF on 6v?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 09:52 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R148DF on 6v?

Has anyone had any problems running a 6v system with a Futaba R148DF without a regulator? I know from experience that the R127DF doesn't like 6v so what about the R148DF?
Old 10-24-2002, 04:53 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6V

I use the 127DF and 148DF both on unregulated 6V packs, no problems with either. Strange that the 127 didn't work for you, it was the first RX I ever used on 6V.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:13 PM
f4ufreak

Default 6volt is awesome!!!!

DITTO!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 07:40 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

I've heard from some very experienced people that the 127DF doesn't like 6v and sometimes will cause the servos to jump around with a fresh charged battery. Don't know the extent of how true this is but I didn't want to chance anything.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:55 PM
f4ufreak

Default R148DF on 6v?

I have been using this type of equipment for quite some time now and have never experienced such a problem.

The only time that problem has occured with me is when a connection on a battery cell had cracked.

With 6 volt systems, the response is very quick and it picks up the slightest movements on the gimbles.

Many times that was confused with servo chatter, interfearence, or "servos jumping around."
Old 10-26-2002, 04:12 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Experienced...

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I have run 2 different 127DF RX's on unregulated 6V from the old style Duralites. And have run one of those on unregulated 6V from 5 cell NiMH. And I have one so far (got more, just aint hooked em up) 148DF RX on unregulated 6v from a five cell NiMH, and it is working fine.

YMMV
Old 10-26-2002, 04:30 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

Cool, no more fears then thanks guys...
Old 10-27-2002, 02:27 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default R148DF on 6v?

There's a little more to the story than the receiver and the battery voltage. It depends on the type of servos you are using and also on the type of extensions. I have had some issues with JR servos when hooked to a Futaba receiver on 6 volts. Also, have had some problems with JR buffered extensions with Futaba receiver and either Hitec or JR servos on a freshly charged 4.8 volt pack.

So for me, I have only Futaba receivers - NO buffered extensions - JR servos on 4.8 volts, Hitec and Futaba servos on 6 volts.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:06 PM
ChuckAuger

Default Servo and leads..

All the servos on the rigs I mentioned were Futaba, the extensions (if used) were home made twisted 22ga.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:45 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Default R148DF on 6v?

Originally posted by WreckRman2
Cool, no more fears then thanks guys...
Isn't that what u said about those servos... *G*

-Kelly
Old 10-27-2002, 09:24 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

Ya no more fears with Hitec servos because I'll no longer use them.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:30 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default rx fried

Guys, I just got a PCM rx back from Futaba after it went dead from apparently a fresh battery charge. I'm using a 6v NiMH pack and now Futaba says only to use 4 cell packs! I can't believe that! Am I to beleive all the giant scale guys out there are running only 4.8v to their servos? That's a big drop in performance from 6V ratings.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:42 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Default R148DF on 6v?

Most of those giant scale guys are powering their servos by a means different than their rx in most cases. Most all of the servo sync's out there include a power source to hook a battery up to instead of running it all through the rx.

-Kelly
Old 10-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Giant Scale

Default R148DF on 6v?

Dave,
I wouldn't trust those futaba receivers, nimh packs,servo extensions..etc I think they are all going to make your plane crash. Maybe there is a conspiracy going on here..first it started with hitec..now maybe Futaba..
Old 10-29-2002, 12:33 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

Na, Futaba is a much better product... at least they have never given me any problems unlike Hitec whose crap fails on the 5th flight costing me my airplane.

If you haven't heard yet I sold all those Hitec servos. If I knew you wanted them so bad I would have sold them to you.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:16 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Default R148DF on 6v?

Im not sure this is the proper place for it BUT, I recently had an elevator half lock up on my PW extra.(on the ground-non digital) rather than blame the hitec servos I went thru everything and found the yellow wire slightly pushed out of it's housing on the servo extension to the elevator half. Once corrected the elevator half was fine and flew all day with no problem. I wonder how many of the lock up servo problems might be attributed to bad servo extensions not fitting properly.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:06 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

Originally posted by smallfly
I wonder how many of the lock up servo problems might be attributed to bad servo extensions not fitting properly.
I my case it was digitals and I was able to get it to act up on the bench with the extensions removed so I took that out as a possible problem. Most of the problems we are hearing about are with the digital servos.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Crashem

Default R148DF on 6v?

WreckRman2,

I'm curious if its not confidential What if anything did Hitec do to make amends or provide an explanation for your problem?

The reason why I ask on this board in the last several weeks I've read several posts were other companies made good on the mistakes and even Perceived mistakes. This is only para-phasing please search if you want exact text..

1. Airtronics guy sends only his radio in for repair Airtronics sends new radio complete with 4 servos rx and battery tells customer sorry and keep existing equipment.

2. GP Pitts ARF manufacturing defect AM Cross identifies problem and states on RCU in a reply to me that if warranty was not voided and customer returns damaged plane GP will provide replacement.

3. Horizonhobbies - guy replaces metric clevis with standard clevis plane crashes guy takes plane to horizon who explain that clevis are metric not standard and this is why clevis failed Horizon then proceeds to apologize for not making this clear in instructions and thanks customer for pointing this over site out then sends guy on his merry way with new ARF

4. Singapore Hobbies guy posts thread where he thinks he is being riped off Singapore hobbies not only apologizes for billing error but sends guy free kit after he canceled his order.

Now I'm not saying people haven't bashed these companies just that these companies seemed to know how to turn a bad situation to their advantage.

Also maybe a forum dedicated to spotlighting the problems and solutions provided by each vendors might be beneficial to the RC Community? If not on this board maybe on ********.net (yours)?

I for one find it more informative to see how a company deals with a problem them hearing 100 testimonals on how great there product(s) are.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:54 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

Well I sent in all my Hitec gear including the RX and 6 servos; 4-5625,1-5945,1-225. One of the 5625 is the one that caused me problems. I was able to bring it home and duplicate the problem several times on my bench. Once Hitec recieved them they said they tested it for 4 hours and not once did it give them a problem. I'm not going to point fingers and say this or that anymore but I am 99% sure that with my own investigations everything pointed to a bad servo. Hitec came to the conclusion that unless they were able to get it to fail, which they never did, then nothing was wrong and Glen at Hitec even said on their own forums, which was later deleted, that I crashed the airplane from lack of ability to fly and just wanted someone to blame.

It ended up with Hitec sending me 4 new 5625's along with my other stuff back. I wasted no time selling them because I felt unless we were able to pin point the problem then everytime I went to fly I would be more concerned about a servo failing again than being able to enjoy flying. I opted to sell all my Hitec stuff and stick with Futaba who has never given me one sign of problems. Now I know that one day Futaba could fail me as well but that's a risk I am willing to take...

Is Hitec customer service all that? Well they did what their warranty says and what they say, we will repair or replace our stuff if there is a problem but nothing will bring back the bird I lost due to that failure.

In a way Hitec did what they said they would do but it wasn't enough to make me feel safe to use them again. They could have sent me 10 new servos and I still would not have used them. If they would have replaced my plane I still would not use Hitec again so there could be mixed feelings with the matter.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Crashem

Default R148DF on 6v?

wreckrman2,

First of all sorry about your loss I was following the thread on the internet fly in and say the pictures. Also thanks for explaining exactly what happened I only got bits and pieces from the other threads since either a moderator would close or edit the posts on these threads

Second, in response to your post specifically this statement

Is Hitec customer service all that? Well they did what their warranty says and what they say, we will repair or replace our stuff if there is a problem but nothing will bring back the bird I lost due to that failure.

Hitec hopefully will learn in todays extremely competitive market place going "above and beyond the call" is becoming the norm as opposed to the exception

I reiterate my suggestion on a forum spotlighting problems and Solutions.

What is your opinion?

Understand that I think this forum would only work if both sides of the issue are aired. And if you post a problem then you are obligated to post the resolution and any retractions if necessary.

I honestly did not like the heavy handed actions the moderators took when your accident happened and personally think they did more to damage hitec reputation then theycould have imagined. I looked at the closing of threads and heavy handed editing of posts as outright censorship and protection of Hitec by the operators of this board. That may not be True but it did appear that way to me. I wonder how many others thought the samething?
Old 10-30-2002, 12:39 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default R148DF on 6v?

The problem with opening a board for this type of dicussion is that most of the time you won't get both sides of the story. It was nice in this case that Mike Mayberry was willing to reply and help in the ways he did but at the same time it's negative feedback and some people prefer not to see that at all. Everyone has different views and this is what lead to the moderators closing the threads. Marc was aware of the threads and the actions the mods took but to be honest I think he let them stay closed because of the negative feedback. Call it protecting your advertisers or whatever, I've made my decision on Hitec and will stick with that.

If you look at it from the manufactors side I am sure they get their share of complaints that are indeed pilot error and not the equipment. We see it all the time at our own fields. I've said it before and I'll say it again if my loss was from pilot error I would have taken the blame and never said anything to Hitec however I know this plane went in from a servo that held position off center holding my left aileron up. It did it in the air and it did it on my bench about 5-6 times. All my testing lead to that servo and after reading of the other cases here too I still believe that.

I wish it was my own fault because I would have no one to blame but myself and I am a man that is willing to admit his own mistakes. Bottom line is something caused that crash and unless I can find the exact cause I will take measures and follow the information my own investigation turned up instead of believing a company that says nothing was wrong and my loss was a result of pilot error when I know without a doubt that pilot error was not the cause of my loss.