Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hitec HS635 servos in Excelleron 90 --Trust em ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HS635 servos in Excelleron 90 --Trust em ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HS635 servos in Excelleron 90 --Trust em ???

Quite a while back I bought the Hitec Karbonite gear 635's for my excelleron 90. Since then there has been a lot of negative on the reliability of the Karbonite gears and output shaft failing under normal conditions. I did see where Hitec feels they should be limited to 12# aircraft or less. Excelleron 90 comes in at about 9#. Are these servos just for very mild Sunday afternoon flying ?? Rated for 83.32 oz.in. @ 6 volts as advertised. It seems they should handle the Excelleron 90 which calls for a minimum of 65 oz.in. servos. SHOULD I TRUST THEM?? Any experience with them will be appreciated. By the way, there are no metal gear replacements for them, and I hear Hitec will not accept returns on them even for another exchange servo. ( perhaps they don't want their " junk" back.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hitec HS635 servos in Excelleron 90 --Trust em ???

I had a bad experience with them. They all stripped out on a 120 sized aircraft. I'd use the mg servos on anything above 60 sized aircraft. Since this crash landing I always over size my servos and use only mg on anything over 60 size..

ORIGINAL: Robert Bauer

Quite a while back I bought the Hitec Karbonite gear 635's for my excelleron 90. Since then there has been a lot of negative on the reliability of the Karbonite gears and output shaft failing under normal conditions. I did see where Hitec feels they should be limited to 12# aircraft or less. Excelleron 90 comes in at about 9#. Are these servos just for very mild Sunday afternoon flying ?? Rated for 83.32 oz.in. @ 6 volts as advertised. It seems they should handle the Excelleron 90 which calls for a minimum of 65 oz.in. servos. SHOULD I TRUST THEM?? Any experience with them will be appreciated. By the way, there are no metal gear replacements for them, and I hear Hitec will not accept returns on them even for another exchange servo. ( perhaps they don't want their " junk" back.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:13 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Hitech servos have a HORRIBLE failure record. Saving a few dollars on servos is no bargain when you crash an airplane with them. Spend the extra bucks and get good name brand servos.

If you want to know the facts, just do a search on this fourum "Hitec Servo Problems" , then do a search on "JR servo problems". You will see that Hitech servos are MUCH MUCH more likely to give you problems and fail than good quality JR servos.

The vast majority of guys that spend thousands of dollars on RC jets use JR equipment. Lots of guys that dont know much will say hitec is fine etc. etc. Its easy to talk a big talk, but when the money is at stake and guys have thousands of dollars invested in a model and are on a "professoial" level, you will see them using JR servos....
Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Hitecs don't have that bad a reputation. Yes there are several posts about problems with them, and maybe more than other brands, but there are also many, many more Hitec servos out there, than all others combined. On a percentage basis, I bet they all rate about the same.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: TLH101
Hitecs don't have that bad a reputation.
On a percentage basis, I bet they all rate about the same.
TLH101 is vey wrong. Hitec servos have a huge problems compared to JR. So a search in this forum on "Hitec Servo" then do a search on "JR Servo" You will see a huge percentage of complaints about Hitec servos, while very few people are complaining when talking about JR servos. Its well documented and there for everyone to see.

Its easy for any one to talk and say "they are all the same" or "hitec is fine" but when real money is on the line, and you see guys flying RC Jets at rallies, 85 % of them use JR grear. There is a really good reason for that.... You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap servo, you gonna have problems, period.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
TLH101

You have already had one thread deleted for passing blatent incorrect info.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Texastbird

So according to Jettpilot, I'm supposed to not worry about what happens to my transmitter output when I change the crystal without retuning, but only buy his favorite overpriced Jr servo because of his scientific study of the failure history of the Hitec brand.....
I apologize in advance for writing this, but this troll got under my skin from his last thread (deleted).
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
JettPilot

Did you see a reason posted as to why that thread was deleted ? There was NO reason posted, again a blatent LIE by yourself and a to confuse the issue. You seem so desperate to discredit everything I say, but you have not posted one FACT or logical arguement. The best you can do is lie and misrepresent the facts. Thats pretty pathetic TLH101
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

So according to Jettpilot, I'm supposed to not worry about what happens to my transmitter output when I change the crystal without retuning, but only buy his favorite overpriced Jr servo because of his scientific study of the failure history of the Hitec brand.....

I NEVER claimed to do a scientific study... The best you can do is MISQUOTE me and lie to make your point, thats pretty Pathetic Texastbird...

I gave people factual information and a way to SEARCH FOR THEMSELVES. The best you can do is misquote me and misrepresent what I say...

Texastbird, you obviously need a lesson in ETHICS. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM
TLH101

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Did you see a reason posted as to why that thread was deleted ? There was NO reason posted, again a blatent LIE by yourself and a to confuse the issue. You seem so desperate to discredit everything I say, but you have not posted one FACT or logical arguement. The best you can do is lie and misrepresent the facts. Thats pretty pathetic TLH101
Here's a quote frome a moderator(minnflyer) concerning that thread:
"It doesn't look to me like you were being censored. Your post was deliberately telling people that it's OK to do something that is clearly illegal in the US. And yes, that is against RCU policy. "

You may want be very careful about calling me a liar in a public forum.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve got to ask Jett, how long have you been modeling, what size planes do you model any GS planes, how many Hitec servos do you own and how many of them have failed? Do you have any first hand experience with Hitec servos or are you regurgitating others woes and hearsay?

I can guarantee you your assertion is erroneous with regard to Hitec servos. Its true many modelers report problems with Hitec servos, but as noted Hitec offers the widest product line cross-section of any OEM and produces/sales more servos than all the other OEM’s combined, accordingly we hear more reports of problems. There are other factors at play here too, most notably as you so knowingly surmise there is the purported value of a name brand associated with cost and status…. Hitec programmable Digital servos play a large role in the internet brow beating, the programming and implementation of these servos is largely misunderstood IMO. This leads to the belief of product shortcomings and disgruntled users. Additionally many users are moving up to digital servos and simply do not understand the proper care and feeding requirements of these high power servos, this together with inexperience in linkage setup, mechanical ratios, ganging, radio programming and implementation of the correct product in GS applications supports the disproportionate number of problems are to be expected. We often find problems are not of the servo in of themselves but the installation and or components used.

JR servos have their fair share of problems; you don’t hear as much hysteria about this simply because most users aren’t vocal of same. I suspect it’s a secret to those that have little experience with these things, but those in know are aware of same.

Let’s stay on track here please. Comments specifically of the Karbonite servos are in play. While this other stuff is entertaining its going no where fast… If you must please start a new thread and leave this one in peace.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

I have pasted the reply I got from the Hitec

RE: 635 HB servos in Excelleron 90 Will they stand up - 8/31/2005 12:06:48 AM

mglavin
Community Moderator

Certified

Status: online The servos perform at the advertised specifications. The gear-train can withstand these ratings as well. Unfortunately as I noted previously there are other variables at work above and beyond the servos rated torque specifications.

While the Karbonite is very resilient to wear the material is very hard or brittle and does not hold up well to shock loads induced by buffeting or pulses transferred in to the airframe from the engine and flight loads, model specific. Ailerons adsorb a lot of energy from the airframe and in part support the flying weight of the model therefore the loads are greater per square inch than others IMO.

I am not familiar with your model, but did locate some info on it. The model appears to be more of a precision offering than a 3D beater with oversize surfaces. The 635HB's should be fine on this model. As with any servo attention to proper linkage geometry is paramount. Use the shortest servo arm and longest control horn/arm pivot point plausible for the MAX throw needed. This provides reasonable linkage ratios and enhances precision and or resolution.

An exchange policy is likely in place of the dealer you purchased the servos from, weather or not they will accommodate you is entirely between the dealer and purchaser.

Michael Glavin
RCU Community Moderator
Hitec * Multiplex Support Representaive
[email protected]