Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

$$$$Servo extensions$$$$

Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $$$$Servo extensions$$$$

Dunno if this has come up before but this is my first time on the radio forum..

I find paying 4-6 bucks for a short servo extension is getting a bit old. I would like to know where, if possible, I can pick up bulk servo wire, plus connector housings, pins etc. and crimp tool to make my own extensions and/or extended servo leads. I'm a Futaba user. For example the 3D park flyer I am building needs four extensions, and in my LHS they are [CDN] 5-6 bucks a piece. Soldering/crimping I can handle.

Thx!

Mike D.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $$$$Servo extensions$$$$

www.radicalrc.com

www.servocity.com

Something you can do is just buy the wire and not get any connectors. Cut the servo wire in the middle and solder in however much additional wire you need.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try Radical RC. Pricing and freight is reasonable and they operate like a real business.

Bill
Old 08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, that I have done. Thanks for the links. Seems my LHS extension prices are not that out of liune looking at the servo city prices and converting $. Hmm.

Mike D.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

The make-your-own price is about $1 US for each connector plus 50 cents per foot for the wire. You will also need a crimping tool, which will set you back around $20 as I recall. Also, you will probably waste the first connector learning to make the crimp.

I enjoy making my own, but if you don't need a bunch it is probably cheaper just to continue buying them. RadicalRC will make them for you to custom lengths for a decent price. Their quality seems to be excellent.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carrellh has given you the best advice, solder in a long enough splice and do not use the extension. Extensions can get you in trouble. If the connector is buried and not mated/demated frequently, it can corrode and create a high impedance connector. You will suddenly start getting unexplained glitches in a formerly good working system. You can use any stranded 20 or 22 gage wire for the splice. If you insist on the nice soft and flexable stuff, you can buy the bulk wire at most hobby shops but any wire will work and be much more reliable than an extension.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with Rodney, it is best to avoid extra connectors. They just add contact resistance and another place for a failure.

If you have good soldering skills you can also replace the original lead at the servo with a longer one. Open the back of the servo and solder the new wire onto the circuit board.