Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Using non computer radio as buddy box with a computer radio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using non computer radio as buddy box with a computer radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 05:10 AM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using non computer radio as buddy box with a computer radio

I am going to use my new computer Futaba 6xas as my master and my non computer Futaba T6nfk as a buddy box. When set up like this, does the buddy box work as an extension of the sticks on the computer radio, retaining all the dual rates, mixes, and other setting and functions set on the computer radio.
"or" will it be flying the plane {when the trainer switch is held on} as if it were the only radio, requiring that the potentiometer dual rates on it be set independently of the ones set up on the computer radio ? My main concern is that the dual rates will function the same. Secondary concern would be the programmed mixes etc in the computer radio.

Will it require that the dual rate switches be thrown on both boxes, or just one, and if so which one.

Thanks for your input.

Dwight Hayden
(somewhat confused by the computer radio
Old 10-26-2002, 05:46 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

The T6XA will not retain the dual rates, expo, etc to the buddy box. The 8U and above will but not the T6XA. Sorry...
Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buddy box

I learned on a Futaba Skysport 4 hooked up to a 6XA computer
radio. The 6XA was the master. When the master trainer button is
pushed, it allows the buddy box (Skysport 4) to fly the plane on it's own with nothing transferred over from the master. What you
have to do is fly the plane with the master radio first and get it all
trimmed out without a buddy box connected. When you have it flying the way you like with the master radio, connect the buddy box to it with the cord and match the trim levers of the slave box to the master box. You do this by turning on the receiver on the ground and then pushing the trainer button on the master on and
off to see how much the control surfaces move from the trimmed positions of the master radio to the trimmed positions of the other
radio. Adjust the trims on the slave radio to match the master trims until you get virtually no movement of the surfaces when the
trainer button is pushed on and off on the 6XA. Also remember to
leave the power switch off on the slave radio as it will get all of it's power from the master. I also remove the crystal from the slave radio for safety's sake. Even though the slave radio is "flying" the plane, it's the master radio's signal that is controlling the plane. It's simply "borrowing" the control inputs of the slave radio until you let go of the trainer switch. Concerning dual rates, if both radios have dual rate switches, just make sure that they are set the same, either high or low, or you might get a
bit of a surprise when you let go of the trainer button only to find
out that the once docile "low-rate" flyer is now flying with full con-
trol throws. Sorry if this is a confusing answer, as my ability to put thoughts to paper is not the greatest.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Dave,
A slight correction.
The 8U does not have the function setting on trainer. Only the 8U's and above, but you are correct.

Originally posted by WreckRman2
The T6XA will not retain the dual rates, expo, etc to the buddy box. The 8U and above will but not the T6XA. Sorry...
Old 10-28-2002, 01:58 AM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Well I ended up having to use a y cord on the ailerons in order for the T6nfk Tx to work properly as a buddy box. I had the ailerons plugged in different channels and set to flaperons, which the 6xas does support. Worked fine with the master radio, but when switched over to trainer I would only get aileron movement on 1 side. The older radio, although it has 6 channels will not support ailerons on seperate channels due to no mixing.

By the way, I had a GREAT day at the filed with my new 4*60 with Saito 91. I was nervous as a tomcat in a room full of rocking chairs for the maiden flight, and was sure glad my buddy had my back with the dual controls. I gotta say that 4 star really does fly much better than my trainer did when it is set on low rates. It only needed 1 click of up ele trim, nothing else, and it flew perfect! I think I am gonna LOVE this plane

Thanks guys. and be warned, I will probably have some more ? along the way, as this is my first "confuser" (I mean computer) radio

Dwight
Old 10-28-2002, 07:20 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

A trick you could use is plugging the ailerons in 1 and 7. I understand this works on a 4 channel transmitter (buddy box). Don't ask me why, I don't know!