Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Dual Elevator, Aileron and Flap servos with the 9C

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Elevator, Aileron and Flap servos with the 9C

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Elevator, Aileron and Flap servos with the 9C

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a new airplane (Super Flying King) setup with a Futaba 9C radio, and a Futaba 9 channel R319DPS receiver. I know that for the dual elevator servos I want to use the "Ailevator" function using channels 2 and 8, and for the dual aileron servos I want to use the "Flaperon" function using channels 1 and 6, but I'm not sure how to handle the dual flap servos! Should I use a custom mix using say channels 5 and 7? That leaves channel 9 for my smoke pump! This is my proposed configuration:

Channel / Function
1: L. Aileron
2: L. Elevator
3: Throttle
4: Rudder
5: L. Flap
6: R. Aileron
7: R. Flap
8: R. Elevator
9: Smoke

So, is this the way to go - use the Ailevator and FLaperon pre-programmed mixes, and one custom mix??

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Dual Elevator, Aileron and Flap servos with the 9C

Yes if you want to be able to use the ailerons as flaps or spoilers.
If no, then just mix the ailerons and then a mix for flaps.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or if the flaps are to be just flaps and nothing else, why not use a "Y" harness?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It is easier with seperate channels to adjust each flap for differences in geometry or servo position.
ORIGINAL: flycfii

Or if the flaps are to be just flaps and nothing else, why not use a "Y" harness?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right. [8D]
Old 09-09-2005, 03:23 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use my 9C for gliders set up on Flap2 mode for 4 wing servos. I use crow/butterfly with flaps down/spoilers up and elevator compensaion. Acro plane profile calls this airbreaks.

If you want to use ailerons for spoilers in the airbreak set-up, that is a preset mix. Flapperons not needed as far as I know.

If you have flaps, why you are you trying to set up flapperons? You don't need flapperon set-up to have ailerons on separate channels.

1/7 ailerons
2/8 elevators
3 throttle
4 Rudder
5/6 flaps
9 Smoke

That should work as long as you don't need landing gear switch.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 AM
ezflyr

Hi,

Well, I'm just trying to take advantage of the pre-defined mixes, that is all. For example, the "Ailevator" can be used for dual elevator servos, and if you don't want aileron interaction, the aileron mix is set to 0% - works great! I have done a similar thing for the dual aileron servos using the "Flaperon" mix. The problem I am having now is trying to get the flaps setup using a one of the user-defined mixes, and assigned to the 3 position switch 'C'. I want the flaps to be 0%, 50% and 100%, but I can't seem to make that happen. It seems straight-forward, but I'm having all kinds of problems getting it to work correctly []

John
Old 09-09-2005, 08:17 AM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John:

Here's a method to acheive how you want the flaps to function:

Here's step by step:

Step 1: Assign Channel 6 to SW C.

Step 2. Change Endpoint of CH 6 to 20% when SW C is in the UP position (as a starting point).

Step 3. Change Endpoint of CH 6 to 20% when SW C is in the DOWN position (as a starting point).

Step 4. Place SW C in the CTR position.

Step 5. Mechanically adjust flap linkage so that the correct Intermediate setting is achieved. i.e. 20ΒΊ

Step 6. Place SW C in the UP position

Step 7. Adjust endpoint so that the Flap is in the Full Up position (0ΒΊ).

Step 8. Place SW C in the DOWN position.

Step 9. Adjust endpoint so that the correct Full Down setting is achieved. i.e. 50ΒΊ

Step 10. Go Fly!

In effect, one uses the intermediate flap position as the centre point (in reality an ofset centre point) and adjusts the other ends to suit. No mixes required.

Dennis

Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 PM
aeajr

DP01,

Problem. He has an aileron in ch 6, not the flaps, which is probably why he is having all the problems.

EZFlyer

The 9C assumes Ch6 as the master flap channel. If you have an aileron in that slot, then the flap mixes are going to try drive that aileron, not the flaps. After all you have flapperons set which just confirmes this. But you would not enable flapperons on a plane that has flaps.

I think you should forget flapperons. You are creating a huge amount of complication for yourself because you have enabled flapperons on a plane that has flaps. The two don't make sense together.

BTW, why would you have ailevators set up if you are going to set the aileron interaction to 0. That defeats the whole purpose of the mix, however if you get your ailerons in 1&7 and flaps in 5&6 then it won't matter.

1&7 ailerons
2&8 Ailevators
3 Throttle
4 Rudder
5&6 Flaps
9 Smoke, or whatever.

I would reset everything and start over. I just did that with one of my gliders. I had fooled around with the mixes so much I had messed up everything. I reset and started over. Now it all works great.

Use these slot assignments. Don't use flapperons. All should work properly.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
ezflyr

aeajr ,

Thanks for the reply! The reason I am using the "Ailevator" mix is because the manual describes this method for dual elevator servo airplanes (approx. page 50). As I learn more about the 9C (this is my first complex model) I gather that there is more than one way to achieve a particular result. It seemed to me that the 'Flaperon' mix was a good choice for the dual aileron servos, but it seems like this one might be causing me a problem. I'm going to reset everything and try your channel assignments tonight!

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:48 PM
aeajr

An alternate would be to create a new profile. Keep what you have.

I think you will find that things will work better for you this way.

Get the servos into the suggested slots and build a new profile. Then you can always go back if you like.

Love that 9C