Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

quick question about transmitter/receiver compatibilty

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

quick question about transmitter/receiver compatibilty

Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 PM
itspuddingtime00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about transmitter/receiver compatibilty

Would it be possible to use a transmitter with more or less channels than the receiver had. For example if I wanted to use a 6 channel transmitter with a 4 channle receiver, would it work given that they are both on the same channel. Also do you need to buy the same brand receiver to have it work with your transmitter. Like if I had an airtronics transmitter, could it work with a futaba reciever on the same channel. If you used an off brand receiver could you replace the crystal to work with any transmitter? Would the range be cut down at all or are there any side-effects? The reason I'm asking this is both the cost of direct replacement receivers and the size. I'm starting to get into micro cars and also mini planes and parkflyers. I have a 7 channel transmitter, and it would be pointless in my eyes to spend 80-100 bucks on a direct replacement receiver that would have 4 extra channels, unless absolutly necessary. Sorry if I'm a bit n00bish, I'm not very educated on radio gear and compatibility. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: quick question about transmitter/receiver compatibilty

You can use a seven channel transmitter with any receiver that has up to seven channels. The thing you must watch if mixing transmitter brands and receiver brands is that both have the same shift. In the USA, Futaba and Hitec use negative shift while Airtronics and JR use positive shift. You can now purchase both transmitters and receivers that are shift selectable, either with switchs, jumpers or software programming, just make sure they are set up to match. However, if you go to PCM versus PPM (often mistakenly refered to as FM) then you must match both transmitter and receiver brands as the codeing on PCM varys.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:28 PM
itspuddingtime00

That clears things up, thanks for the reply.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
nk1851
My Feedback: (33)

Similar, related question - I'm told that some transmitters are compatible with certain receivers, and similarly, certain crystals are compatible with certain transmitters/receivers.
Where can I get info on which brands of receivers can be used with specific transmitters?
Thanks in advance for your help.