Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

reverse polarity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Edge 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse polarity?

I just did a really bad thing. I plugged a fully charged 5 cell receiver pack with a hitec connector into a futaba receiver backward. It was only in for a fraction of a second before I removed it. I have tested everything over and over and it works fine. The battery is showing normal voltage and the receiver works flawlessly.
What problems would this cause? Does a futaba receiver have polarity protection? The connector on the battery got a little warm, but everything works fine now. I really hope I didn't fry anything!!!! Anyone have advice?
Why can't hitec make a non reversable plug?!?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:34 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: reverse polarity?

Was this a three wire plug or connector? If so worry not.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Edge 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was plugging a regular hitec rx battery directly to a futaba 127 receiver to setup the radio.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultra Stick
Why can't hitec make a non reversable plug?!?

Be very careful what you wish for as whomever is on top in sales in any quarter may actually wish to to return to brand incompatability. Its taken far to many years to acheve at least plug compatibility with three majors. Hitec (S), JR and Airtronics (Z) with Futaba also being compatable by cutting of that silly tab.

In my opinion the days of any of the manufacturers attempt to control their customers spending by the use of proprietary plugs or refusal to provide modulation shift select are over. Information is so much more readily avaliable.

John
Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, on the Futaba 127 reciever, if you plug the battery connector into the battery slot reversed, you put a dead short accross the battery leads as the third connection (what is normally the signal lead) is jumpered directly to the plus--center terminal--of the receiver printed circuit board. I've seen this mistake burn up the switch harness on three different planes. Had you plugged the battery into any other slot, no harm would have been done. Usually, when this mistake is made, the receiver is seldom damaged as the switch wireing burns out before the circuit board copper strip does. Yes, IMHO, this was a dumb design error on Futaba's part.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:17 AM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: Ultra Stick

I was plugging a regular hitec rx battery directly to a futaba 127 receiver to setup the radio.
Three wire plug/connectors use the center pin for positive and the black or brown for negative while the white/yellow/orange is the control signal. Reversing the plug should have NO adverse effect on your RX. Internally the there is NO polarity protection for the RX.

FWIW: The Hitec plug is polarized, same as JR and new Airtronics. You simply plugged it into a Futaba RX which is not designed/shaped to prevent reverse installations of this type plug.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:53 AM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Unfortunately, on the Futaba 127 reciever, if you plug the battery connector into the battery slot reversed, you put a dead short accross the battery leads as the third connection (what is normally the signal lead) is jumpered directly to the plus--center terminal--of the receiver printed circuit board. I've seen this mistake burn up the switch harness on three different planes. Had you plugged the battery into any other slot, no harm would have been done. Usually, when this mistake is made, the receiver is seldom damaged as the switch wireing burns out before the circuit board copper strip does. Yes, IMHO, this was a dumb design error on Futaba's part.
Rodney

This is interesting.... Is this specific to the 127 only?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be great if all the RC radio manufacturers would follow the lead and standards set by Futaba because they are truly the standard of the industry. They are the world leaders in industry innovation, reliability and standards.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mglavin, yes, as far as I have seen, the Futaba 127 is the only one that does this although I have not opened up and checked many others. It is easy to verify for yourself, just remove the receiver from its case and look at the wiring on the pc board.