Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Programing Ultra Stick with Futaba 7C?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programing Ultra Stick with Futaba 7C?

I have an Ultra Stick 40 here that I'm wanting to program with a 7C radio. Actually a guy from my field wants me to program it for him. I have got the airbrake, also known as CROW but I can't get the other things he's wanting to have done. I'm hoping someone will come across with the same setup with the Ultra Stick and 7C. I hope I can find someone that could just read what they have.

He want's the following done:

1.) CROW (up ailerons, down flaps, down elevator mixed in)
2.) Elevator to flaps
3.) Aileron to flaps (they work together to there you have one long aileron on each wing side)
4.) Flaps work in conventional way (up, and down by switch or on turn knob)

He did have one thing incorrectly set up on the plane. If you are looking at the wing from the bottom, the horn are supposed to be pointing out on each side. (On left side, they point to left side and right side for the right servo horns.) He had the inboard left flap horn pointing in, while everything in ok. This is how it's supposed to be, from looking in the Ultra Stick instruction manual. I switched that and there's nothing wrong now.

He has his channels set up like this:

1. Right Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder
5. Right Flap
6. Left Aileron
7. Left Flap

If you have a different setup, where the channels are not the same at above and you have everything working like he is wanting (the CROW and everything) just tell me and I will switch what the channels are.

I really hope someone can help. I don't want to let him down.

Thanks alot

~Michael~

EDIT: for more addition words or words changed
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
pojarnii

Default RE: Programing Ultra Stick with Futaba 7C?

Mike,
I have the exact plane and radio. I would like to be able to do the same things you're looking for so I hope someone will have some more ideas.

For now I'm using the set up from the Futaba site, [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-7c-q774.html]Futaba 7C Setup[/link].
It duplicates most of those functions but not all. I'm out of programmable mixes and I'm new to a computer radio so any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I have this radio and unforntuanly you are not going to get all of these features with the 7C radio. The 7c is incapable of ailerons to flap. the programing is not in the radio and even if you try to mix it in it does not work properly. I found this out after I bought the radio. for these functions only the 9c or better radios can do this.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
iflynething

Well, I guess me and the guy will have to move up to the 9C. Oh darn!

Everything else I can do though, except the aileron to flaps, right?

What set up do you have pojarnii? The guy who is wanting me to program this gave me all those papers like what you linked too, but I just can't figure out how to get everything set up. I followed what it said on the paper, but I can't get everything worked out.

Hope I can figure out something!! Thanks for the help so far though!

~Michael~
Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM
pojarnii

It took me a couple of tries running through those set ups but I did finally make it work. On the 3 pos "G" switch I have set middle is normal ops, up is flaperons mixed with elevator, down is speed brakes. On another switch I have flaps up/down. Flaperons on the rotary dial. I also have the dual rates set up (still rolling too slow, I have to play with that). I still have some work to do to figure out how to set flaps up/down and ailerons opposite.

I flew it today and it flew well, nice flying plane. I had some winds to deal with so I decided to see how slow I could go. Dropping flaps really slowed things down, nice steep approaches and landings. Lowering flaperons had similar effects with slightly less control and a tendancy to tip stall. Lowering flaps and flaperons and I was flying backwards. It was pretty cool.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 PM
rccrazedman

pojarnii do you mean crow (up aileron and down flap ) you need to figure out ? the futaba website helps out with that one . You need your flaps in channel 5 and 7 go to paramaters and Null out channel 5 turn your airbrake function on because the airbrake in not assignable and is on the three position in the down position. now you have the down flaps and the elevator setup right there. then you need two mixes to set the flaps. one mix is Ofset as master and 5 as slave and set rates as desired. then the second is also Ofset as master and channer 7 as slave again set rates as desired and you will have the crow with up aileron and down flaps. Let me know if I can further assist you .
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
rccrazedman

yes iflynething. You can do all you have mentioned except for the aileron to flap. you do have all the channels plugged in just as I do. I wish I got the 9c instead. I love my new 7c. Just not for this plane. this plane is the reason I bought the radio in the first place.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
iflynething

Thanks for the help.

Another problem I'm having is when I have the 3 pos up and only up is when I can make both flaps go down. If I have the 3 pos switch in another position then just the right flap goes down. I'm just having alot of problems with just having down flaps on one switch, flaperons (that's where you have the aileron and elevator go up or down at the same time, right), and then the CROW aka "Airbrakes"

I just can't figure everything out!! Thanks for ya'll's help so far though!

~Michael~
Old 10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
iflynething

Could someone please tell me everything they have for programming and what switch they have it on. I'll just copy what you have put into mine.......have you had success with everything.....

I'm wanting one control for just airbrakes (CROW), say G in the up position, then I would like to have just the flaps on one control.........it would be nice to have them just on the turn knob so the guy can adjust the amount of flaps he uses, and then for the elevator to flaps. I'm not quite sure what he means by this one. The flaps go down and the elevator the same a little to compensate for the balloning effect.

Just what do you guys have for your setup and I'll just copy what you have and whatever switches you're using also.

~Michael~
Old 10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
rccrazedman

ok I will get back to you on this. I will give you a total programing rundown as I have set in my radio. I am not at home right now so I can't take out my radio.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 PM
iflynething

Thanks that would be grat, and you have everything that he is asking for except the aileron to flap where they both move for a long aileron, right?

I hope I can get this done soon, no rush though. I think the guy I'm programming it for is wanting it back to go flying....but I guess he can wait....

~Michael~
Old 10-08-2005, 02:03 AM
rccrazedman

This is how my radio is setup . I have on switch E in the up position full flaps. ( the Limitation is that you cannot adjust the flap on channel seven for anything less then full flap). I have on switch G (three position) in the center position is normal operation, In the down position is elevator to ailerons, (because your working with flaperons you will have elevator to ailerons instead of flaps) and in the Up position I have crow (you can adjust the amount of deployment of the ailerons ind flaps in the airbrake feature and in the rates of p-mix 1and 2). I have on the VR dial ailerons move up as spoilers. (as being barn door ailerons I don't want to cause a tip stall so I do not lower them) switch F can be setup as a trainer, snap, or throttle cut switch. Switches A, B, and D can be used as separate switches as dual rated for elevator, ailerons, and rudder, or two switches set for different controls, or all controls on one switch, your choice. Keep in mind I have the ultra stick 60 and your working with the ultra stick 40 so your rates my not be the same as mine. I also just have my radio setup and no motor on my plan so I didn't fly it yet.

My only difference in channels where I have my controls plugged in is that channel 1 and 5 are my left wing and channel 6 and 7 are my right wing. maybe I'm backward form the norm I don't know.

Programming goes as follows:
Basic menu :
model i set to my type of receiver and then named my model USTICK in model memory 1
dual rates I have my dual rates set to switch A as ailerons and elevator. I have rudder set for max throw and no low rates.
sub trim I have none set on any channel
reverse (different setups will yields different setting depending on how servos are mounted blah)
are as follows: channel 1 Normal, channel 2 reversed, channel 3 reversed, channel 4 reversed, channel 5 reversed, channel 6 normal, and channel 7 reversed.
End points (again your numbers are probably not going to match mine)
channel 1 left 108% right 100% channel 2 up 108% down 88% channel 3 up 100% down 100% channel 4 left 112% right 135% channel 5 up 108% down 0% channel left/down 106% right /up 102% channel 7 up 108% down 0%
Parameters channel 5 Null out channel 7 assign to switch E

Advanced menu:
p-mix 1 offset to 5 rate -75% assign switch G in the up position
P-mix 2 offset to 7 rate +75% assign switch G in the up position
p-mix 3 offset to 5 rate -100% assign switch E in the up position
flaperons function turn on no DIFF second aileron channel assigned to 6
flap trim function on rate 1 0% rate 2 +100%
A-brake function turned on Elevator -20% flaps +75
Elevator to flap turn function on assign switch G in the down position
Flap to elevator Inhibited.
V-tail Inhibited
elvon inhibited
aileron to rudder inhibited ( I flay using both rudder and ailerons so I prefer this to be off)
and snap I did not setup.

that ends the programing portion. If you run into any programming problems let me know. and please let me know how your first flight went.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 AM
rccrazedman

Now I'm courious if I flop channels 1 and 5 over to the right wing and channel 6 and 7 over to my left wing if I could get that flap adjustment on channel seven using the switch. Nope can't do it.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
iflynething

Wow, that's alot of information. I'm at someone else's house so I'll have to decode what you said, and see if I can get something to work...Thank alot for that information

~Michael~
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
iflynething

One thing I have to make sure before doing is how you have your servos horns on. Looking at the bottom of the wing, with the ailerons and flaps pointed down, do you have: the left side servos horns pointing left (to the outside part of wing) and on the right part of the wing do the servo arms point to the right?

I just wanted to get this strait, if not then everything will be messed up. Like I said, the guy I'm programming this for had the left flap pointed to the right (if looked at like stated above) but I fixed that so the wing looks like the one they show in the Ultra Stick manual

Thanks again for all the informaiton rccrazedman!

I'm going to get to programming later!

~Michael~
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
rccrazedman

yes. I have my servo linkages all setup to the outside of the wings. That is my right wings flap and aileron linkages are to the right of the servo and my left wing flap and aileron linkages are to the left of my servos. Also all of my output shafts on my servos are all closest to the trailing edge of the wings.

This should be a very close to complete starting point for you. This is because I'm positive your rates will vary from mine a bit because of different servos used, the different sizes of the servo horns and other things. but you should be able to fine tune it form there.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 AM
iflynething

Thanks, I just wanted to clear up everything about the horns before programming. I'll also switch out the channels like you have so I can also have everything right.

Thanks

~Michael~
Old 10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
iflynething

Ok, I got the flaps to work just fine, but they are deploys with switch E in the down pos. When it's up, I have normal operations.

One problem is I can't get CROW. I put G up and I get both ailerons to go up and elevator down a little bit, but I can't get the flaps to go down at all. I have to have G either down or in the middle pos to get the flaps to go down all the way, and that's the only way I can do that.

I have been able get the spoilerons to function when I rotate the dial clockwise. They work jsut fine.

It's just with the CROW. I just can't flip G up and I have up ailerons, down flap, and some down elevator. That's what would be nice to have.

Any suggestions? I put everythign else like you typed and have all the channels switched.

One thing that I have is the programming for the 7C makes the G pos up actually down for the G switch if you holding it. I have it set to where I pull the G switch UP and it's up. When you have the arrows for what switch and what postition then it's oppisite for the G and I think the other. Understad that? I hope so

Thanks for the help so far though.

I didn't set up any dual rates or anything. The guys just said to leave that alone ad he would set everything to his liking. So nothing with dual rates, or even end points for that matter are set.

Thanks again

~Michael~
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
rccrazedman

ok to get your crow to work you have the A-brake where it is hard set to the G switch pulled toward the front of the radio. p-mix 1 and 2 are moving the two flaps downward when you pull the same switch forward. It sounds like you have the p-mix one and two set on in the lower two positions for the mix to be on. (make sure in the p-mix menus you got the triangle in the bottom position on the display. Note that the switch can be set to any position, the two upper positions, or the two lower positions). If the flaps are going up instead of down, all you have to do is reverse the %. The crow is completely adjustable as you can adjust the amount of ailerons and elevator with the a-brake menu and you can fine tune how far you want the flaps to move just by changing the rates in P-mix 1 and 2

I believe I know what you mean about the switch and positions setting. in my radio any switch I want the mix on in the up or back position I set the triangle thing to the top of the display, and if I wanted to switch to turn on flipping it forward (top) or down (Face) then I set the triangle to the bottom of the display this is the same for all of my switches.

One other thing I didn't have programmed in until now is that if you turn on the flap to elevator this will give you elevator movement with the vr dial to the spoilers.

Well this should get you all setup then . of course I will check back here again to make sure you got everything working properly. and if it doesn't get you ready to fly, then I will farther assist you.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 AM
iflynething

I have to thank you so much for your help.

I have everything set up like you said. The flaps are working fine and I can get th CROW to work when I put the spoilerons fully up and then the flaps down with the E switch. I don't even mess with switch G.

I'm going to redo over everything like you said and have everything like you typed down and see if I can get everything right.

I hope I can get this. Thanks again

~Michael~
Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 PM
rccrazedman

ok well I hope you can get it working. I have the crow all set to switch G without playing with the spoiler dial or the flap switch.
Good Luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
rccrazedman

hey just curious did you ever get your friends plane working with the crow ?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
iflynething

I do have everything working, but I just can't get the CROW to work on just one switch.

I have to do he spoilerons turn thing for making them do up, and then down flaps with the G switch in the middle position. I did everythig that you did with in the programming I made the little arrow UP to actually when you put G DOWN (if you're holding the radio) then the funciton will work. I just can't get the CROW to work on one switch. Other than that, everything works just fine: regular flaps going down when you push swtich E down, flap to elevator (up ailerons to down elevator, I think) with switch fully up (again holding the radio and the G switch is pulled UP) and the CROW.

Thanks so much for your help

~Michael~
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
phoenix8

How about a summary with all of the instructions and how they work to do what - please.