Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Does crystal manufacturer matter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
+c0re-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does crystal manufacturer matter?

I'm looking at a cheap and basic radio set, which comprises an e-sky 6ch transmitter, negative shift futaba (72mhz), and a hitec micro electron 6 receiver, which is futaba dual shift.

I have two questions actually,

1) will these two items be compatible?

2) Do I have to buy a specific brand of crystal for this tx/rx or will any set work? I see helihobby sells e-sky tx/rx crystal sets, wondering if that will work in this rx?

Thanks for any help with this.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Does crystal manufacturer matter?

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly but; in general you need to have the same manufacturers crystal in the receiver as the one who made the receiver/ i.e. use a Futaba crystal in a Futaba receiver, an Airtronics crystal in an Airtronics receiver etc. You can not legally change out the crystal in a transmitter in the USA without having it checked by an authorized service center to make sure it is withing the band limits with no spuriouse transmissions. And yes, different manufactures use different crystals as there are several different receiver designs; some may use a Hartly oscillator, some a Colpitts or some other configuration so the crystal cut and frequency determining components can vary.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:37 PM
+c0re-

Wow, so you're saying in the USA, I can't just swap out my Tx crystals to change my band? (as you can in Europe).

Thanks for the info, as I understand it now then, if I have an esky transmitter, and a hitec Rx, I must get a hitec Rx crystal in a matching frequency to whatever the Tx shipped with?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 PM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

I went to my LHS to buy a crystal for a Futaba R127DF receiver.
He sold me a Hitech crystal which he claims work just as well.

I have my own reservations about doing this so let me know what others think.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: +c0re-

Wow, so you're saying in the USA, I can't just swap out my Tx crystals to change my band? (as you can in Europe).
Correct. If you want to change the Tx frequency, you need to send it to someone who can confirm it's still within specs and adjust if needed. This is not just the US, several other countries have the same requirement.
Thanks for the info, as I understand it now then, if I have an esky transmitter, and a hitec Rx, I must get a hitec Rx crystal in a matching frequency to whatever the Tx shipped with?
Yes, and you need to be sure that you get the correct Hitec crystal, they make several different kinds.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: CrashGaalaas

I went to my LHS to buy a crystal for a Futaba R127DF receiver.
He sold me a Hitech crystal which he claims work just as well.

I have my own reservations about doing this so let me know what others think.
Some people will sell you whatever they have even if it's not right. Return the Hitec crystal and buy the proper Futaba one from someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Crash is your plane worth more or less than the 2 or 3 extra dollars and few days wait to get the correct crystal?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 AM
+c0re-

Thanks for the info guys, very much appreciated.