Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8U Super Transmitter Use in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 PM
ravenwingz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8U Super Transmitter Use in Australia

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a Futaba 8U Super transmitter from someone in the US. I have recognised that the transmitter is on 72Mhz, channel 36. Is this frequency/channel combination legal for use on aircraft in Australia?

If not, is it possible to purchase a module that enables the transmitter to be legally used in Australia?

Cheers,

Lewis
Old 10-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Stiks

Default RE: 8U Super Transmitter Use in Australia

As far as I know, No you can not legally use it. We are 36mHz frequency, the channel part is irrelavent if you have a different frequency to start off with (at least that's my understanding with frequencies someone, else with more experience please chip in). As for the conversion it would probably cost the same as if you bought it here anyway. Plus if you need to get it bandwidth tested it might be a hard task to have done seeing that it is not a legal frequency or a bodge job.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
FlyinBrian

Does the Tx use an RF module? if so you can buy without the 72 Meg module and buy a 36 Meg module in Aus
Old 10-22-2005, 08:36 PM
ravenwingz

Does the Tx use an RF module? if so you can buy without the 72 Meg module and buy a 36 Meg module in Aus
The Tx does use an RF module, however I don't think that there is a genuine futaba module available in 36 meg.

As for the conversion it would probably cost the same as if you bought it here anyway
The transmitter is no longer manufactured (I was planning on purchasing it second hand). Futaba have more info about it on their website [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/discontinued/futj80.html]http://www.futaba-rc.com/discontinued/futj80.html[/link].

After reading through the FAQ's on the product I have also discovered that Futaba do not support aftermarket RF modules and therefore claim that insurance would not cover any accidents if they were to be used. [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q93]http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q93[/link]

I am pretty sure that these transmitters are in use throughout Australia...whether legally or not I do not know.

Cheers,

Lewis
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please realize that the information on the Futaba-RC website is written by the North American Support center for Futaba. That information may or may not be valid outside of North America.

You should contact your regional distributor of Futaba products for local information.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 AM
XJet
Banned

We've got a guy flying one of those transmitters in our club. It was originally on 36MHz but he fitted a Hitec 72MHz module and flies it with several different receivers (Futaba, Polk Seeker, etc) with absolutely no problems.

It would seem very likely therefore that you could use a Hitec 36MHz module in the one you're getting from the USA -- if you can't find a genuine Futaba one.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:13 PM
BaronSchwab

Futaba does not make a 36MHz module, but the Hitec module do work in the 8U althought Futaba does not like you to do so. They say it voids the warranty but considering the age of the 8U it may not be under warranty. Also on those there was a soldering problem on the diode I think. It effected the models that had a 5 as the first digit of the SN.