Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode 1 Flyers, UNITE!!

Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mode 1 Flyers, UNITE!!

I use Mode 1 for planes and Mode 2 for helis.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:43 AM
panzerd18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I am starting out in this hobby and the guy at the Hobby store sold me Mode 1. However in Australia it seems most are Mode 1 compared to the USA where most are Mode 2. My dad being a left hander wants to fly Mode 3 being the reverse of Mode 2.

I will see how I go. My old AM futaba 2 channel was Mode 1 on my sailplane however that was a long time ago.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Volfy
I learned to fly RC pretty much on my own and I chose Mode 3 (mirror image of Mode 2) because it felt the most "natural".
That's what I meant when I said that some people's "hand/eye coordination just liked it better."

You fly, you have fun, 'nuff said.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Mode One

A Friend of mine this Saturday said his Futaba radio is computer switchable from Mode to mode and includes all; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3 and Mode 4. The springs for elevator need to be moved to the new elevator stick. It's my understanding Mode 3 is a left handed Mode 2 and Mode 4 is a left handed Mode 1. I find this interesting! It means that although the US is dominated by Mode 2, other countries are still using Mode 1 and the manufacturers still feel it worthwhile to help the left handers out! At a time in history, where it seems conformity is stressed as the norm, some manufacturers see benefit in providing options!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Some background on two of the mode configurations:

Mode I

Mode I is an evolution of the old non-proportional reed systems that had separate spring loaded toggle switches for aileron, elevator, ruder, throttle and trim. The elevator switch was on the left side of the TX and the aileron switch was on the right side. The switches were used in a flipping action to create proportional like control. RCers that had been flying reeds wanted the controls on the new digital proportional radios laid out with the same stick configuration so it was easer for them to make the transition. We had a guy in our club that made the transition from reeds to Mode I digital proportional and continued to flip the sticks on the TX for years. In the US, many of the old timers that made the transition from reeds to Mode I are getting pretty old (late 60s mid 70s) nowadays and you don’t see many of them flying anymore.

Mode II

Mode II is an evolution of the early attempts to have one stick for ailerons (in some cases rudder) and elevator on the same control stick like used in full scale 1:1 aircraft. There were many early admits with this concept going all the way back to the escapement systems and the early analog proportional systems. The single channel ghost system used one stick as well. When digital proportional systems were developed Mode II was setup similar to those single stick systems but with ruder and throttle on left stick so the right stick would function the same as the existing systems. And the other direction was the pure single stick with aileron, elevator and rudder but not many of them were sold although there were a few top flyers that used them.

In the early days of digital proportional radios you could order a Mode I or II radio but eventually Mode II became the standard in the US and most all radios are shipped as Mode II. The early digital proportional radios could be mode switched pretty easy but as the computer radios evolved the switch over became more complex. But with some of the latest computer radios with control and switch assignment the switch over is becoming easer.

During the early days of digital proportional radios there was always a lot of debate among RCers about the advantages and disadvantages of the modes but I seldom if ever hear anyone discussing it anymore. Most of the RCers in those old debates were pretty sure their mode was the best, and after many years of listening to them I’m convinced it has a lot to do with how each person’s individual eye/hand brain processing connections are wired. Kind of a right brain and left brain thing! Mode II seems to work best for the majority of flyers but there are some people that are wired for Mode I and they do best with it.

After all the debate is over, nirvana for RC flyers is to be totally locked in with your aircraft so you are one with it and through your visual link feel it’s every move.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Mode One

8178, Unsure why you thought we all needed a history lesson here. I can't argue with what you have stated; however, maybe you didn't read page one of this thread. Being an old timer, (I'm 55) and flying mode 1, I sorta know how the modes came about! I don't think it has anything to do with being right or left brained, though! My opinion is you fly what you were taught! By the way, radios are still available in Mode 1 and 2 from your manufacturer. Maybe even mode 3 and 4, also. You just need to send them back to be converted. This spring I sent my Airtronics VG6000 in and all it cost me was shipping to Airtronics.

The reason I started this thread was to attempt to find other Mode 1 guys out there. It has been somewhat successful.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
aerowiz

hey daboo,

ive been flying since 1986 and i have always flown mode 1. i like it because the club i fly at generally fly mode 2 and that means training is out of my league because i fly the other way. it also means no one else can ask for a go of my planes.....just the way i like it.

i have seen quique fly and he is awesome. mode 1 man. number 1 man!

aerowiz.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

I like mode 4. It puts the rudder and elevator on my right thumb. I fly gliders and launch with my left hand. This setup lets me keep a finger where it is needed. (ailerons don't help much with a hi-start or winch)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:17 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I used to know a few mode 1 fliers like Ralph Brooks and Bob Dunham. They are all dead. This leads me to the conclusion: MODE 2 FLIERS LIVE LONGER!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Jet Doctor

It looks like south of the equator is Mode 1 country. In South Africa any RC pilot older than 40 will probably fly Mode 1 if he has been flying since the late 70's. Most of the new guys fly Mode 2. I fly planes, jets, gliders and Helis on Mode 1. I can fly comfortably on Mode 2 if I stick my left hand in my pocket!!!!!! Mode 1 are Caterpillar drivers and Mode 2 - Porridge stirrers! Anyone seen Curtis with the throttle channel on a knob?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I used to know a few mode 1 fliers like Ralph Brooks and Bob Dunham. They are all dead. This leads me to the conclusion: MODE 2 FLIERS LIVE LONGER!

I knew Ralph Brooke and he was one of the few people I’ve seen that could fly Mode I extremely well. He was a pretty awesome flyer. He flew Orbit reeds and was one of the early flyers that went on to Mode I digital. He was a world champion RC flyer. He slowly lost his eye sight due to diabetes. A sad story for an avid RC flyer and it is too bad so many of the old timers have passed on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13084.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	357021  
Old 11-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Mode One

I hope this statement did not come out the way you meant it: "I knew Ralph Brooke and he was one of the few people I’ve seen that could fly Mode I extremely well". Your exposure to Mode 1 flyers has to be very limited. When I joined my first R/C club, the vast majority of the good flyers and all of the best flyers flew Mode 1!

Mark DeSchane, AMA 59157
Old 12-17-2005, 03:47 AM
bladders1960

If you guys r so desperate to answer whats right or wrong with modes, go fly a real plane, stick, peddles, throttles and flaps. Figure out what feels right in the air, and then program ur TX the same.

Sometimes u just gotta scratch ur left ear with ur right hand

M
Australia
Old 12-17-2005, 04:02 PM
aerowiz

hey guys,,,

as for real aircraft, HELLO, we are not flying real aircraft!

mode 1 is my weapon of choice.

mode 2 is for chicks and people who drive hairdressers cars

aerowiz
Old 12-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Mode One

I have never made any claim about one being better then the other. I flew "Real Planes"! Flying was fun and I wanted to get my commercial and instrument ratings. However no instructor existed locally to help me do this, so I lost interest! Then, every time I landed, I thought; man, I could have bought a lot of neat stuff for R/C with the airplane rental charges I just paid, for an hours worth of flying.

Having done both, my opinion is it is more difficult to fly R/C then real airplanes. The actual control of the airplane, not everything else which real flying entails. Because I have flown real planes, I also think any statement about one mode being more realistic then the other, has little basis.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

When I bought my first mode one unit, back in 1965, it was a Kraft propo..thats why I fly mode one..if it was a mode two unit, I probably would be flying mode two now...I tried to swtich a few years back, but no luck, so I'll just keep flying mode one...I suppose I'm one of these guys that say "You can't teach an ole dog,new tricks...Woof, Woof"..Anyway 40 yrs. at mode one....Hey, no bad deal....Love every minute of it....
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM
4 Stroke Guy

I have flown mode 1 since 1968 also. That includes Bonner, RS Systems, Kraft, ProLine, JR Century 7, ACE, and now Futaba 9VHP and 9ZHP. I have never, never, not once ever bought a mode 1 transmitter. Conversion used to be easy. With the 9V/Z you have to completely disassemble the transmitter.

Tower now offers to sell the 14MZ on mode 1 for a mere $100 US extra. That's really nice of them. It's not like they sell mode 1 all over the world. They have to specially make these mode 1's for the USA!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Raphael

I fly mode 1 because I learned flying using a mode 1 transmitter.

Also, mode 1 flyers are really not alone! I agree that most flyers in the US are mode 2 flyers, but that's not true for every country in the world. Here in Hong Kong, nearly all of us are mode 1 flyers.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: 4 Stroke Guy
Tower now offers to sell the 14MZ on mode 1 for a mere $100 US extra. That's really nice of them. It's not like they sell mode 1 all over the world. They have to specially make these mode 1's for the USA!
I coulnd't quite tell if you were being sacastic, but I sure hope so. The main reason for my choosing Futaba is their long standing support for TX Mode 1 through 4 in firmware/software. I had to open up my brand new 9C to swap the spring & ratchet, but switching from Mode 2 to Mode 3 programatically was as easy as pushing a few buttons. Hitec, JR and Airtronics all require a trip back to the service department as they do not have native support for Mode 3 and 4.

I hope the $100 premium for Mode-1 14MZ is just convenience charge for not having to open up the TX. I am inclined to believe that since they now also sell Mode-1 9C radios.

I also hope that other manufacturers would take a lesson from Futaba and write software support for the not-so-common TX modes. Afterall, it is exceedingly easy. All it takes is retagging a few I/O points. Then there will be little point of this my Mode X is better than your Mode Y arguing. Personally, I don't much care what TX mode the other 1.2 million RCers in the world are flying. As long as I can set up my TX to fly the mode I want, that is all that matters to me.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Mode One

I think I said this earlier in this thread. My latest radio is an Airtronics VG6000. All it cost me to have it converted to mode one was the cost of shipping it to Airtronics for the conversion. They converted and shipped back to me free of charge.

It's my understanding QuiQue flys Mode 1, who other top name flyers fly Mode 1?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
RearViewMirror6

I started out flying mode 2... on the simulator i taught myself to fly mode 4 for 3D. (mode 4 is throttle and aileron on the left stick, rudder and elevator on the right stick). I found it to be a lot easier to harrier roll, hover, torque roll using mode 4. For example.. during a harrier roll.. you set your aileron ATV to the preferred roll rate your looking for.. now you can hold full left/right on the left stick and slight throttle adjustments are all that is needed from your left hand. Basically your right hand is doing most of the work going around the horn inputting rudder and elevator. Now in real life i havent had the balls to fly mode 4 on my big planes.. so i practiced first on foamies. But whats even better.. I now i just got a 9ZAPS/WC2 futaba Tx and i can now switch from mode 4 to mode 2 and vice versa IN FLIGHT! With the flip of a switch!! As far as what mode is best for you.. experiment on the simulator.. get yourself a good TX.. with changing flight conditions... and you'll see what ya like best.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:59 AM
mervmatthews

QUOTE: Hitec, JR and Airtronics all require a trip back to the service department as they do not have native support for Mode 3 and 4.
Well, not so in the case of JR. For the X-388S (and probably the 347 & 378) it is user selectable for all 4 modes. My X-388S manual gives step-by-step instructions for swapping the elevator centering spring and the throttle ratchet/friction strip, plus an explanation of the stick setup for the four modes. I have another X-388S sourced from the U.S. Its manual does not mention mode changes at all. I found that this function had been inhibited in the service menu. Changing SMOD from INH to ACT activated the mode selection function - very simple. Not sure about later models like the 6102 and 8103. The 9XII and 9303 require jumpers on the circuit board to be changed, but any of the four modes can be selected.
Kiwi Merv
Old 04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Mode One

Merv, Doing a little archaeological dig, are we? I started this thread on October 15th, 2005. Your post doesn't answer the question; are you a Mode 1 guy?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
AlW

I started flying RC models in 1970 and yes I fly Mode 1. It took me a couple of years to realize that there was another way! The guy that taught me was Mode 1 and a fantastic pilot so thats the way I learned and I have no regrets. Someone mentioned Ralph Brooke-I knew Ralph very well and flew with him many times-he was really good on the sticks and was the man to beat in his competition days.I would disagree that"HE WAS ONE OF THE FEW THAT COULD FLY MODE 1 EXTREMELY WELL"-we have a number of Mode 1 flyers in this area and some of them are as good if not better than the Mode 2 guys. Anyhow I dont think it matters what Mode you fly as long as you get to the field and do it.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Mode One

I took offense to that remark, also! I started in 1975. The club I belonged to had a vast majority who flew Mode 1. Some, where the best flyers I have EVER seen to this day! I think the guy who made the above statement, simply didn't think about his choice of words.

Us Mode 1 guys are getting fewer and farther between. Hense "Mode 1 Flyers, UNITE".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.