Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Carbon Rod interference

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 12:38 AM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Rod interference

I need to have two carbon rods that will cross, they are close but do not touch. If in the case of vibration will two carbon rods rubbing cause any interference like two metal rods?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Since nobody can possibly say with certainty what it will do in your particular application,
why not take all measures necessary to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place?

This could take the form of building guides near where they cross, to hold them off each other,
or it could be as simple as covering one of the rods with heat shrink tubing or monokote

Always better to be safe than sorry
Old 11-06-2002, 02:04 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the above post, engineering methods to eliminate the potential problem is the way to go.

Vince
Old 11-06-2002, 12:15 PM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by C_Watkins

This could take the form of building guides near where they cross, to hold them off each other,
or it could be as simple as covering one of the rods with heat shrink tubing or monokote

Always better to be safe than sorry
I like the heat shrink idea. In this application I cannot use guides, as it needs to be a straight run. With the stiffness of carbon rods if you force them through guide that is not on their line it causes drag on the rod.
I was really asking the question from an RF point of view though. You always hear about metal but I don’t believe I have ever heard of carbon rods causing interference.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbon fiber rods do not cause interference. However you mentioned the possibility of them rubbing each other, which opens up an entirely new question....I do not know if they would. That is why I would eliminate any possibility of the rubbing.

Vince
Old 11-14-2002, 03:26 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Like anything else if they where allowed to rub together they could fail do everything you can to minimize this potential failure point. Carbon rods do not cause radio interference.