Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anybody using FMA Direct Servos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 02:14 AM
George in TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using FMA Direct Servos?

I was just looking at the FMA Direct web-site and they have some pretty impressive looking (statistic wise) BB metal gear servos listed for approx. $34 a pop. Any of you barnyard aces out there using them and if so how is the reliability and lifespan? I'm tempted to order about a dozen or so, but sure would like to get some feedback on them first. Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:53 AM
ec121k

Default Servos

I have 10 FMA servos but no metal gear or BB type. I have 300's and 350's. None of their newer series. Mine are on par with the S148's and others. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of Fred's products. They stand behind them too. (And it's an American company near Baltimore).

I also have a Magnum 8 receiver. About the same price as a Futaba 127 DF and generations more advanced. .5 oz., about the size of 2 stamps and auto-shift (Futaba, JR, Airtronics, HiTec) without lifting a finger.

He's also the one that designed most of the Ace R/C equipment a number of years ago and the Ace Micro-Pro transmitter is still one of the most advanced (Except maybe the Multiplex) around. They bring quite a premium price on the used market.

Good Luck,
Tony
Old 01-22-2002, 11:39 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default FMA SERVO's

I have been using the coreless servo's 3501M and 3601M. Work just fine. I did have a little slop in one that I was using on aileron. Changed out gers and OK now. Not bad for the money but there are better servos out there. I have been flying these on 1/4 size 1.4 engined airplanes. The nylon geared ones are very smooth but if you are worried about stripping the gears go with the metal geared ones... but they are heavier by about .5 oz.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:27 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Default FMA

I have used the high torque metal gear servos. Pay attention to the longer cycle time. This is noticable.. I fly a pair on my Stinger 1.2 and the elevator response is slow due to this long transition time. FMA does call this out in the specs. for the servo. The metal gears were noisy and didn't appear very smooth. They are still flying, and I can't hear the noise in a vertical hover.. but they will be replaced for faster servos. Hope this is helpful.. Jim
Old 01-30-2002, 02:14 PM
George in TX

Default Thanks fellas!

I would really like to thank those that responded with their comments on the FMA Direct servos. I thought there would be many more replies, as I also thought there were many users of the FMA servos in the RC hobby.

From what I have seen it appears that they change models/series very frequently, as many of those I've read about are no longer available. The FMA Direct web-site does not have a search feature which is really a bummer.

Thanks again guys, your comments were very much appreciated.

George in TX
Old 01-30-2002, 10:25 PM
ec121k

Default New series

George,

Be advised that most of the servos you see in the FMA site are the new ones introduced within the last several months. That is why you don't see the numbers we talked about.

I'll be looking at them up at the WRAMS show next month and will be buying some there.

Take a hard look at their receivers. I think they're a great buy.

Tony