Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FMA Direct service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 01:17 AM
gfletch1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMA Direct service?

Anyone have any experience with FMA Direct servicing radio systems? My good buddy sent them a JR Tx (ham band) to check out and match up with a new FMA receiver. They've had his radio for two months now and he seems to be getting the run-around when he calls them. Comments, suggestions, hit men!!??
Old 01-16-2002, 11:28 AM
ec121k

Default Service

Bought a bunch of servos at last years WRAM show and one was DOA. I sent it back to them and had a new replacement in less than a week.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:52 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default FMA

FMA's servo's are junk. My buddy bought 2 new 100 oz ones for his ailerons on a 88" One Design. The Futaba 9303's were developing slop and send them back to Futaba to get rebuilt. He bought the FMA so he can fly. 3rd flight both aileron servo's stripped and he crashed.

Why would he send a radio to FMA? Just buy the reciever and the right crystal. No need to match it up. It would only require tuning if his channel was at the extremes, like 12 or 60.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:06 AM
gfletch1

Default FMA

I don't why he sent it to FMA. He runs on the Ham band. Maybe for that reason. He thought he had a glitch in the transmitter, but I would have gone to Hobby Services. He hasn't heard anything from FMA since he called them two weeks ago. At that time the gal he talked to seemed more worried about getting paid than in completing his order. It's over two months now and he doesn't have his transmitter back or his new receiver. She told him that he receiver has to be tuned to the transmitter! DUH!!!

Are you listening FMA?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:55 AM
ec121k

Default Ham Band

He is correct. On the HAM band, the receiver must be optimized to the transmitter.

Check out Radio Rumblings in R/C Report April 2000 if you have it. Pete Waters explains that if you are on the 53Mhz the specs are wide band but 50 Mhz is narrow band. If the transmitter is on 53 and narrow band, it could be off slightly in one direction but still within the channel. The receiver could be off slightly in the opposite direction and therefore affect operation/range.

I'd suggest that if the guy can get his equipment back, send it to KMI or Radio South. Both reputable shops. My personal experience has been with Pete Waters. He turned my system in less that a week and he had to order a new RF section for one of my receivers. Very reasonable cost too.

My FMA servos work just fine so far.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:32 PM
turbines
My Feedback: (9)

i bought a quantum receiver from them and the service was great! the receiver was for my ACE MP8k on channel 4 FM. this is a ham band 50mhz. it has 200 ft reception on the ground and antenna all the way down. as far as problems with service i would call or email Fred Marks there he is the head cheese and is very knowledgeable about his business. he has to be to stay in the ring with the big three.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:51 AM
ec121k

Default FMA

I certainly will go on doing business with FMA Direct. (According to my wife, Fred should not expect too much business from me)

Can't wait to see some of the new "high end" transmitters that are in the "pipeline" from FMA. If that first offering is any indication, the "bang for the buck" will be in their products.

Tony
Old 01-22-2002, 09:26 PM
Ed Smith

Default FMA indirect

I purchased a digipulse fast charger from them. It lasted only six months and stopped working. I sent it back. They said it was not repairable. A battery charger not repairable?? This indicates to me that they do not have repair or service facilities on their premises. If their stuff stays working you are probably OK. But forget service.

They then informed me that the digipulse was no longer made. I could have my money back or for another $70.00 upgrade to the supernova. I bit the bullet and upgraded. I asked them to make it clear on the shipping papers that it was a warranty repair and no charge. Of course they did not. It cost me another $40.00 in taxes and duty to get it out of Canadian customs. I will never deal with them again.

I should have known better. This is the first and last time I have purchased one of these supposedly lower priced, "direct to the consumer" products.

Ed S
Old 01-23-2002, 12:47 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FMA Direct

gfletch1, Fred Marks e-mail address is [email protected]

Why don't you gather all of the facts and send them to Fred. He is good about responding or at least I have found it to be so.

That's a bunch of bunk about a receiver on 50mhz having to be tuned to a specific transmitter unless that transmitter is known to be off frequency. In that case, the transmitter needs to be fixed first. I have a Futaba 8UAF transmitter and have several receivers from Futaba, and HiTec on CH06. When I bought these, none had to be tuned to the transmitter. The narrow band receivers use the same tight tollerances that are used on the 72mhz band as are the transmitter modules. It sure is too bad that HiTec went out of the 6 meter business. I guess not enough business.

Has anyone tried one of the FMA 50mhz receivers?

Ken
K5VYL since 1959
Old 01-23-2002, 12:57 AM
gfletch1

Default FMA problem

Thanks for the info Ken. I will pass it on to my disgusted friend. I don't know why he chose to send his JR Tx to FMA except that he was ordering a new Rx from them and wanted to be sure the Tx had no problems. It would seem to be a straight forward deal, but he has gotten the run-around on the phone and hasn't heard from them in weeks. It's well over two months now since he sent the Tx in. I'll bet he will e-mail Fred Marks right away. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2002, 03:31 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FMA Direct

gfletch1, I'm wondering if you didn't get the complete story from your friend.

You said: "At that time the gal he talked to seemed more worried about getting paid than in completing his order. "

It makes me think that when the receiver was ordered there was not the proper payment with the order or something to that effect. I don't know why the gal was worried about getting paid unless she had her doubts. It makes no sense to me that a company which spends as much money as FMA does on advertising and promotion at shows would decide to jerk around a customer just for the fun of it. Sometimes untrue innuendos can make it around the world while the truth is tying its shoes. It sure seems, from what you have said, that you may be missing some vital information.

Good luck,
Ken
Old 01-23-2002, 06:08 PM
gfletch1

Default FMA

Ken,

Arlin sent his Tx in to FMA to be checked over??? along with an order for a new Rx. Accepting the statement that the Rx would have to be tuned to his Tx. When he last called FMA, about three weeks ago, he was told by the lady on the phone that "You know we will need a method payment for this". He told her that if she would call him when the order was ready for shipment, he would give her a credit card for the balance. Regardless of the facts surrounding this deal, the amount of time that has passed with no contact by FMA is inexcusable! Arlin is beginning to worry about getting his Tx back!!! Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Kelly Ferris

My name is Kelly Ferris, Customer Service Manager for FMA Direct. I would like to take a moment and respond to the statements made by gfletch1.
I agree that there were situations of delay in reference to this customer's request. One being that the receiver the customer wanted to purchase, was a special order, a receiver we do not stock.
I followed company policy when I contacted the customer and explained to him that we do not place an order, or a special order, without a form of payment
There were other delays as well in our warehouse. FMA just moved the warehouse into a new facility which put repairs about three weeks behind. I am happy to report that the move is almost complete.
I have contacted the customer directly and all business matters have been resolved to the customer's satisfaction.
Thank you for your time and know that I, as well as FMA Direct, put our customers first.

Sincerely,

Kelly Ferris
Customer Service Manager
FMA Direct
Old 01-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Ed Smith

Default FMA Direct response.

Ms. Ferris,

Nice words I am sure. But I still had to pay extra to retrieve my goods from Canadian Customs because of incorrect paperwork. After I specificaly asked for the goods to be described as "Warranty Return, no charge'. which it should have been.

Ed S
Old 01-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Kelly Ferris

Mr. Smith,
I have researched your account and found that it was our mistake.
If you will contact me directly at [email protected] or 1-800-343-2934 Ext. #18, I will more than happy to credit you the amount you had to pay.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

Kelly Ferris
Customer Service Manager
FMA Direct
Old 01-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Happy customer

I have been a loyal and happy customer of FMA's since day one of their business. I have dozens of their servos, seven of their receivers, numerous batteries, switches, gyros, a Super Nova 250s and one of their new transmitters. The performance of all this equipment has thus far been exemplary. I'm building a Lanier Giant Stinger which will have FMA equipment from stem to stern.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:27 AM
gfletch1

Default FMA troubles

Ms. Ferris,

I'm overjoyed to find that the purpose of my starting this post has come to fruition. Thank you for resolving things. I will stand by my earlier startement, however. Your companies handling of this order was inexcusable. Arlin was left with no information about why his order wasn't being handled. His impression of your question about payment was that you didn't trust him to pay the bill. If the delay was due to a move of your facility, you owed it to your customer to inform him of any expected delay. Anyone can sell a product. Not everyone cares enough to include service!

Greg
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 PM
ec121k

Default Mistakes

My pencils come with erasers and I'm glad because I have to use them from time to time. You see, even I make mistakes.

Now, what did I do with my order form for FMA Direct? Time for some new servos, batteries, switch harness and receiver for that new plane in my shop.

Later,
Tony
Old 01-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Why isn't

gfletch, I'm curious as to why Arlin isn't standing up and dealing with all this himself. I sure would be.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Ed Smith

Default FMA Responds

Since reading the posts on this Forum, Ms Kelly Ferris, Customer Service Manager for FMA has contacted me. FMA will reimburse me the full amount that it cost me for Customs clearance. This closes this matter to my satisfaction.

The measure of an organization, or even an individual, is not that they never create problems. It is how they solve the problem that counts.

Ed S
Old 01-24-2002, 02:30 PM
gfletch1

Default FMA

Arlin is one of those guys that wouldn't squeel if you stepped on his toes! He is a super friend and flier but is very meek when it comes to dealing with other people. After discussing this matter with him many times since November, and seeing his growing concern, I decided to butt in and see if the power of the net could help him out. I talked to him last night and he is a happy camper with the way things worked out. Or at least he will be when he gets his radio back!