Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C Radio

Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM
skyhawk172n
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9C Radio

According to information I have picked up, do not let a cell phone around your 9C w/synthesized module when operating an aircraft. I own 1 each, 9C and Super both w/synthesized module, and have noticed when a phone powers up just before ringing from an incoming call that the servos glitch, and this has been reported in the press. It only occurs when the phone is in CLOSE proximity to the xmtr. Never caused any problems, just something to be aware of.

I fly both helis and fixed wing, and haven't found anything I can't set up that I need.

I use a 2100mah Ni-metal pack because the stock pack runs out in about 3 flights. I still charge after every other flight, so really the 2100's were a waste, but...

Yes, you can convert data from a regular 9C campac to a Super without any trouble. Insert the regular campac into the Super, copy the model data to the xmtr memory (models number 1-10) then follow the directions in the manual for data conversion. I can't remember exact page # but it's on 1 of the first 2 or 3 pages of actual programming info. I haven't yet tried the other way 'round, but regular to Super DOES work.

Roy
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Yes thank you Skyhawy172n. I have just came across that infomation. So to correct my post that I posted before, you cannot transfer info from one radio to another model as in a 8u to a 9c. the only exception to th rule is that you can transfer info from the 9c to the 9cs but not from the 9Cs to the 9C
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

someone was asking about the 9c compared to the 9cs the 9cs has all the features of the 9c plus more model memery and according to futaba website as follows :
Enhancements to all three modes!
Glider Mode

In addition to the Basic offset trim, the 9C Super offers three other offsets (launch, thermal and speed), with camber that can be customized for each.
The four camber mixes can be set up on one screen and programmed to any of the variable dials.
Besides setup ease, the glider mode boasts much more built-in flexibility.
A new G2F-C mix has been added to the G1FLP and G2FLP mixes.
Airplane Mode

The gyro system can be set up for 2-rate (up/down) or 3-rate (up/center/down) with the GYA gyros. It can also be programmed to any switch for normal or AVCS modes.
The Air Brake is now switch-selectable.
Both the Airplane and Glider Modes feature 7 programmable mixes: 5 linear mixes and two 5-point curves.
Heli Mode

5-point Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve now feature a delay that makes for a smoother transition from hover to idle-up and better control.
The throttle hold and idle-up can be assigned to any switch that feels more comfortable for the pilot.
Hi/Low Pitch can be utilized to adjust the curves on the high side and low side for each flight condition.
Choose from six heli mixes: SWH1, SWH2, SR3, SN3, SWH4 and the new SWH3, along with two linear circuits and one 5-point curve.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:24 AM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

You might also want to check with ServoCity (servocity.com). There you can purchase the 9 in versions from the bare transmitter all the way up to complete custom packages. Lets you upgrade to the 9 transmitter without paying for parts of a complete system you might not use!

DT56

Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Futaba 9C Super - about
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk75.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4600
http://www.servocity.com/html/9ca_super_systems.html

Futaba transmitter feature chart
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

Futaba 9C Super has replaced the 9C that I own, though some places still have
the 9C. 9C Super has unlimited model memories via removable modules, 7
User-programmable Mixes + 8 defined mixes, 4 snap roll programs, two servo
elevator support, 4 servo wing support, customizable trainer program and
switch assignability. This is a very flexible radio.

Unless you have a large budget, I would not consider this a first radio. If
you have outgrown your entry level or intermediate computer radio and want a
significant jump in capabilities, take a look at the Futaba 9C Super.
This is an advanced sport radio, or a budget competition radio, that has
virtually all of the features that advanced sport power and sailplane
pilots are likely to need. It has a very strong following.

Channel Synth module for the 9C and 9C Super
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=542

Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 AM
oldtyme

Garyss,

I switched out all my transmitter batteries to the hydramax 1650mah batteries ant
they are great!

Andy
Old 12-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Eric.Henderson

i was wondering if anyone can show me how to take a program from a 9CAPS to a 9CAP ?

I can make it work the other way but have failed when tyring to copy a program from the super 9CAP (S) version) to the regular 9CAP

Regards,

Eric.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:46 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

ORIGINAL: rccrazedman

nedyob. I never had either radio but reading on futaba site you cannot transfer programming from one radio model to another. you can't even transfer a program from the 9C to the 9c super
Thats partially correct. You can't transfer from the 8u to the 9c however you can do a 1 way transfer from the 9c to the 9c super. Once you format the compac for the super, to put it back in the 9c you need to format it to the 9c.

You also cant transfer between the 9c and 9z as they use a different data format.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:47 PM
aeajr

9CAPS has features that the 9C doesn't have and handles some thing differently internally, so you can't go backwards.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Eric.Henderson

Thank you for the answer.

I guess a manual % for % copy is my next option :-)

Happy New Year to you all,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: aeajr

9CAPS has features that the 9C doesn't have and handles some thing differently internally, so you can't go backwards.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Looks like the 9Cs has fixed the PMix programing problem where the link feature was not always available in a mix.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 AM
aeajr

While the 9C is an extremely capeable radio, there were some things they did that could have been done better. That produced the 9CS. I only wish I could upgrade mine to the Super version. But, having said that, I am quite pleased with my 9C and expect to fly with it for many years to come.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:59 PM
davebart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, thanks for you input on this thread. Let me ask you. I have almost decided to get the 9CAFS from Tower (they have a $30 off sale now) but also considered the synthesized version. I am flying everything on Ch. 50 now so I was going to stay with that. I also considered the JR 9303 but everything I have so far is Futaba so thought it silly to switch. Your thoughts are appreciated.....Dave
Old 12-26-2005, 04:39 PM
aeajr

If you are flying on 50 and don't run into conflicts, then you dont' really need the synth module. The synth adds about 50% to your battery drain, so you will have shorter battery life with the synth module.

I would say skip it. YOu can always get it later.

The 9303 has a great reputation, but at a higher price. Only you can judge if it is worth the extra $$, and why.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are flying on 50 and don't run into conflicts, then you dont' really need the synth module. The synth adds about 50% to your battery drain, so you will have shorter battery life with the synth module.
Hmmm. I would dispute that. I just bought a new 9CAPS system with the FSS sythesized TX module and the R319DPS RX. I charged the supplied 700mAH TX pack for 16 hours for it's forming charge. I turned on the TX and let it run until it started beeping a low battery warning.

It ran 2.75 hours. Not bad for a NiCD pack which is still probably not optimized yet. I don't yet have an RX pack but will likely go with a 1600+mAH NiMH or better since this system will be used in a 7 servo UltraSport 40.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: PipeMajor

Hmmm. I would dispute that. I just bought a new 9CAPS system with the FSS sythesized TX module and the R319DPS RX. I charged the supplied 700mAH TX pack for 16 hours for it's forming charge. I turned on the TX and let it run until it started beeping a low battery warning.

It ran 2.75 hours. Not bad for a NiCD pack which is still probably not optimized yet. I don't yet have an RX pack but will likely go with a 1600+mAH NiMH or better since this system will be used in a 7 servo UltraSport 40.
That is pretty good. Perhaps my understanding of the drain was mistaken.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I am confused about the memory module for the 9C. I have an 8UAF and will be ordering a 9C soon. Tower's web site says that both radio's use the same CAMPAC module. Can you move a module from an 8uaf to a 9c? Would you have to delete the models stored in it for the 8uaf first? Or once a module has been inialitzed for a specific model radio it wont work in a newer model radio? (Where did the spell checker go?)
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Ed knows a lot more about these radios than I do, but I'll offer the info I've seen posted about this.

The radios use the same module but you will not be able to take the module out of the 9C and use it in the 8 once it's formatted for the 9C. I'm guessing you'll be getting the 9C Super and you can't go back and forth between even the regular 9C and the Super.

When you first plug in the module to the 9C, it will say something to the effect that it's been recognized and ask if you want to format (or something like that) the module. You tell it yes and I think that will erase the models stored by the 8.

Maybe Ed will chime in again with better information for you...

Oh, the spell checker did not work when RCU migrated to new servers. The button was there for a few days but the spell checker didn't work, so I imagine they just dropped it since it wasn't working. Whether or not it will be back, I've not seen anything posted about it not working, it's disappearance or whether or not it will be back.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
PipeMajor

That is pretty good. Perhaps my understanding of the drain was mistaken.
Actually I don't think you're that far off. The TX w/FSS modules seems to do pretty good. Someone on the Futaba support forum quoted the synthesized R319DPS RX has a drain of 40mAH vs. 10mAH for a crystal controlled R127DF or 13mAH for the R138DP RX. The overall drain of the entire flight pack is likely not that great a difference since the servos would obviously be the biggest contributing factor. With modern PCM synthesized gear and many more digital servos in today's models, the stock 600/700mAH NiCD packs are ridiculously undersized.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Zeeb is right. The campac is the same but the data format is different.

You can do a ONE WAY conversion of the data from a 9C to a 9CSuper. Thats it. No going back to the 9C or you will get the prompt to format it, and you cant move it betwen the 8U and a 9C and do anything with it other than format it. After you format it for the 9C you can use it but you cant migrate any models or settings with it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Zeeb is right. The campac is the same but the data format is different.

You can do a ONE WAY conversion of the data from a 9C to a 9CSuper. Thats it. No going back to the 9C or you will get the prompt to format it, and you cant move it betwen the 8U and a 9C and do anything with it other than format it. After you format it for the 9C you can use it but you cant migrate any models or settings with it.
Yes, this is my understanding.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered the 9CAPS synthisized verson with the R319 reciever. I have been running the Hitec Eclipse for a few years now and wanted to upgrade to the PCM 1024 resolution. I also want to use the dual elevator servo option. Has anyone been running two elevator servos on differant channels? How do they match up? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Oh, the spell checker did not work when RCU migrated to new servers. The button was there for a few days but the spell checker didn't work, so I imagine they just dropped it since it wasn't working. Whether or not it will be back, I've not seen anything posted about it not working, it's disappearance or whether or not it will be back.
Well!, I know I miss it! (need it!)---
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Actually I don't think you're that far off. The TX w/FSS modules seems to do pretty good. Someone on the Futaba support forum quoted the synthesized R319DPS RX has a drain of 40mAH vs. 10mAH for a crystal controlled R127DF or 13mAH for the R138DP RX. The overall drain of the entire flight pack is likely not that great a difference since the servos would obviously be the biggest contributing factor. With modern PCM synthesized gear and many more digital servos in today's models, the stock 600/700mAH NiCD packs are ridiculously undersized.
I was the one that quoted that. The current figures are posted on Tower's website in the notes for each receiver. A little bit of math and you can easily conclude that the FSS module will reduce the flight time of the stock 700MA battery by only about 10 minutes on average. 40ma is nothing compared to the current draw of 7 servos in my Ultra Sport 40.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 PM
PipeMajor

ORIGINAL: Robbidos
40ma is nothing compared to the current draw of 7 servos in my Ultra Sport 40.
Since I don't yet have a battery pack for my T9CPAS w/TP-FSM synthesizer module and the R-319DPS I've decided to go with a 1650 NiMH pack. That way I shouldn't have to worry as much when running 7 servos in my Ultra Stick 40.

We're also negotiating for acquisition of a Toyota Camry Hybrid which comes with a BIG NiMH pack.

NiMH aren't as hazardous to the environment as are NiCD packs. Dave Thacker of Radical RC says 80% of his sales and 100% of what he personally flies are NiMH packs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.