Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What is " DSC an abreviation for ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM
mar345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is " DSC an abreviation for ??

I'm looking at a switch harness that say " DSC compatable" for a replacement for the one that came with my Airtronics VG 6000 radio. Don't know what DSC compatable means. Can someone tell what DSC is an abreviation for so I can figure out if this switch is suitable for my system. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:08 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is " DSC an abreviation for ??

DSC = Direct Servo Control. It allows the servos to be controlled directly by a transmitter via a DSC cable connection to the receiver. In other words, the transmitter is not transmitting, and this translates to lower Tx battery power consumtion. Very useful feature for plane setup. Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2005, 11:09 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: mar345
I'm looking at a switch harness that say " DSC compatable" for a replacement for the one that came with my Airtronics VG 6000 radio. Don't know what DSC compatable means. Can someone tell what DSC is an abreviation for so I can figure out if this switch is suitable for my system. Thanks.
The switch harness will work as far as turning the receiver on and off and allowing you to charge the battery. The previous response described DSC. This part only works if your transmitter and receiver are DSC capable and if you get a DSC cable to connect the transmitter to the switch harness. You'll have to check your manual to know if your equipment has DSC capability.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:48 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

so dumb shi% connected is all wrong mean the guy who is training
dip
DSC thing that make u go hum!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Eric.Henderson

"A switch can be DSC or not". What that means is that the wiring on the switch will carry the signal encoding to the reciever.

An example of a non-DSC switch is one with only two wires. This will not do the job because there are only positive and negative wires to the battery and to the receiver. The charging-jack may still take a three wire plug.

Positive
Negative
Signal

BUT no signal will ever reach the receiver.

A DSC switch will have a third wire that is not switched on or off by the receiver switch. There will be a third lead three-wire lead coming from the switch for the charger to use. This may also be an integral socket in the switch.

It is easy to test for DCS capability. Set up a receiver and a servo with the switch and battery connected. Plug in the DSC cord into the radio and the charging lead of the switch.

Turn on the receiver switch. The radio should be able to command the servo.

I think that both JR and Airtronics activate their tansmitter logic with the DSC jack working as a switch. They don't transmit any RF in this condition, but they send a command signal through the DSC cord. The receiver still needs its own power, so you have to switch on the battery-to-receiver connection. If the DSC does not work then there is usually no continuity in the signal-wire of the switch. i.e. Non DSC.

I have seen this open-signal-wire-situation many times when a two-wire battery voltage regulator is put between the switch and the reciever.

[I often use the DSC to set my engines when the frequency pin is busy or if the board is closed at, for example, a contest.]

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Eric.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
mar345

Thanks guys. I think I get the picture. Getting back to my question, the VG 6000 is "NOT" DSC capable. So will this DCS compatible switch still work with my system which is not DCS capable??? or should I get a standard switch harness??
Old 12-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes the switch will work with Airtronics!
ORIGINAL: mar345

Thanks guys. I think I get the picture. Getting back to my question, the VG 6000 is "NOT" DSC capable. So will this DCS compatible switch still work with my system which is not DCS capable??? or should I get a standard switch harness??
Old 12-27-2005, 09:20 PM
bentgear

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

so dumb shi% connected is all wrong mean the guy who is training
dip
DSC thing that make u go hum!

Is there a translation available for the above???
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yeah the sanford and son thing its put your word her ie dip, dumb smuck connected or something like that[X(] if you are on the buddy box u are the dsc person