Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7.5 Volt Switching Power Regulator?

Old 12-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Justabeginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.5 Volt Switching Power Regulator?

Does anyone know who makes a switching power regulator that can handle up to 5.2 amps at 7.4 volts?

I am toying with the new Hitec 5995TG digital servos, and they have a stall power usage of 5.2 amps at 7.4 volts. I am not sure if I will push these servos to that point, but there is that chance.

An adjustable voltage would be ideal (in case I want to push a "little" past 7.4 volts).

Also, any wiring info on powering these servos with the regulator, while controlling them with my futaba PCM receiver would greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

-Brian
Old 12-27-2005, 08:38 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

Default RE: 7.5 Volt Switching Power Regulator?

You would have to use a y-harness with a switch and a battery with 7.2 volts on one side and a servo on the other side with a voltage(NOVAK) regulator going to the receiver to regulate the power to run the receiver. The receiver can't handle more than 6 volts and 3 amps. This servo is a special servo not for rc usage. The servo would work better if it has 2 servo leads to control it. One for the power and one for signal. The other problem with that servo is it has 180 degrees of rotation. You would need a radio with EXP to turn down the travel or get the programmer to do it. NOT a practical servo. I think you want it for the amount of torque it had?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Edge 540

If it's for a plane get the 5955. No difference in price.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Justabeginner

Thanks for the information. I have already purchased some of the 5995's at the recommendation of the hobby shop. The do seem to have the speed/torque rating that I am looking for.

Unfortunately finding a switching voltage regulator that can handle up to 5 amps is proving to be a challenge.

Still looking.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitec does not recommend the 5995TG be used at 7.4V in aircraft applications. That said SmartFly has a regualtor that will meet your needs if I recall.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:03 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

ORIGINAL: Justabeginner

Thanks for the information. I have already purchased some of the 5995's at the recommendation of the hobby shop. The do seem to have the speed/torque rating that I am looking for.

Unfortunately finding a switching voltage regulator that can handle up to 5 amps is proving to be a challenge.

Still looking.
They saw you coming $$$$$$ Those servo are for special applications only. NOT airplains.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I know this post is almost a year old, but I too have scored a 5995TG for less than $100(including S&H!)

ORIGINAL: R.Robinson

You would have to use a y-harness with a switch and a battery with 7.2 volts on one side and a servo on the other side with a voltage(NOVAK) regulator going to the receiver to regulate the power to run the receiver. The receiver can't handle more than 6 volts and 3 amps. This servo is a special servo not for rc usage. The servo would work better if it has 2 servo leads to control it. One for the power and one for signal. The other problem with that servo is it has 180 degrees of rotation. You would need a radio with EXP to turn down the travel or get the programmer to do it. NOT a practical servo. I think you want it for the amount of torque it had?
I intend to use this servo in a RC truck and I know you guys are airplane guys, and probaly don't know much about ground (pistol) radios, but I hope one of you can help me. I have a Futaba 3PK with the ability to program EPA. Will it be possible to reduce the turning arc with the EPA programing function with a ground pistol radio?