Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Give the Matchbox it's own power supply?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Give the Matchbox it's own power supply?

Okay maybe this is a dumb question but it seems to me that with all the emphasis on power supply requirements, I have to ask for opinions since this is my first venture into the multiple servos on a single surface issue.

I've got an Edge I'm setting up with the dual aileron servos. I've got big digitals in the tailfeathers, but was concerned about the power drain from mismatched servos in the wings and my lack of experience, so those servos are high speed coreless analogs. The matchboxes have a short input lead with instructions to keep that lead length to a minimum, and to only run NiCads. So obviously they're worried about current draw.

Now I'm going to be running redundant Duralite plus batteries and I'm not concerned about the NiCad only warning since I've read a bunch of posts on that, but shouldn't supplying the matchbox with it's own power so that the power for both servos does not have to go through that single lead, be a no brainer?

But I've read a number of posts from people who don't run the separate power supply to the matchbox. Some mounted in the fuselage and some mounted in the wing root as I was thinking about doing. So what's the answer, do I need the separate power supply for the matchboxes, or is it just a good idea?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Give the Matchbox it's own power supply?

It's not clear from your post WHERE your using the Matchbox.

Are you using it on the dual aileron coreless servos? Or the digitals on the tail?

I've never used a battery on a Matchbox, but I can't see where it would hurt either. You wouldn't need a BIG battery to run 2 servos. You might consider a medium sized battery if your running 4 digital elevator servos on this matchbox or 4 coreless ailerons servos.

But, again, it's not clear where you are installing the matchbox.

It is going to add complexity to the system if you power the MB with a seperate battery. You'll have to put in a charge jack and charge it seperately.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I have two matchboxes, one for each wing running two servos per matchbox, the tail servos are one per surface controlled and run directly to the rx, so none needed there.

I have two 2800 Duralites for the rx/servo power and was planning on setting them up isolated from each other in case of a problem with one. So yes, it would definitely be more complicated to run a separate power feed to the matchboxes, that is the biggest reason I'm wondering if it's necessary.

Since there will be a total of three batteries when the ignition is included, each with it's own charge jack, I'm not inclined to add a fourth battery and charge jack just for the four wing servos
Old 01-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd just run the Duralites and use the jumper on the MB units. You got plenty of battery power.

If you are worried about that little extension lead on the MB not being able to carry enough power for both servos--just make your own HD lead with 22ga wire. I've done that before, rather than install the battery for the MB. It's lighter, and a 22ga lead should carry enough power to satisfy 2 coreless servos.

I know the directions tell you to use that short lead on the MB in order to keep signal clarity. I've run my MB 18" away from the RX before using a 22ga lead. I wanted the MB in the tail where I was using it on dual elevator servos.

I wonder if you could use a bosted extension for purposes of running the MB in a location far away from the RX?