Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

quick crystal question?

Old 11-19-2002, 07:40 PM
daltrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick crystal question?

i'm new and i bought a skysport4 for learning. it did not come with a crystal but it has a sticker on the back that says channel 26, 72.310. i was wondering is this the only crystal number i can put in it or can i use any crystal number i want?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Phil Cole

It should have come with a crystal.

The crystal should not be removable, and is probably under the sticker.

Hook up a battery and servo to the receiver and see if it works.

If it doesn't, take it back.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:58 PM
daltrey

its a futaba skysport 4, the crystal plug in is on the front and there is no crystal in it. i bought it off ebay in a trainer sim package to hook up to my laptop. it does have a sticker on the back saying channel 26, but i was wondering if i could use any channel or if it has to be that channel crystal. i'm new to this and i haven't tried flying my trainer plane yet. i've been learning on the trainer sim first. i know the reciever and transmitter crystal has to be the same channel but i was wondering if the radio needed a certain channel crystal or if any channel will work. i'm sure it did come with a crystal and the person selling it just took it out. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
daltrey
Old 11-19-2002, 08:29 PM
Phil Cole

According to FCC regulations, you will have to have an qualified service person install a crystal and check the transmitter for proper operation. If you are not in the USA, then FCC regulations don't apply.

Great Planes operate the factory service center in the US. They have fixed charges for things like channel changes. www.futuabarc.com

You can also send it to places like Radio South in Florida.

It will probably work OK if you use the corrrect type of crystal on any channel. The closer you are to the original channel the better, provided the radio worked OK before the crystal was removed.

If it doesn't work OK, and your model causes some damage or injury, the AMA could deny your claim.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:36 PM
daltrey

so i can't just order a futaba crystal set and plug one into my rx and the other into my tx? i thought they sold their rx and tx's without the crystals?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:56 PM
d4a2n0k
My Feedback: (6)

Yes you can go and buy a crystal for it but in order to do it legally, you must be a licensed HAM radio operator or a authorized service center. I know it sounds ridiculous but that is the law.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Phil Cole

Originally posted by daltrey
so i can't just order a futaba crystal set and plug one into my rx and the other into my tx? i thought they sold their rx and tx's without the crystals?
Futaba receivers are sold without crystals.
Futaba transmitters are sold with crystals.

If you buy a complete new radio set (Tx, Rx, servos, battery, etc.) then the transmitter and receiver will both have crystals installed.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:59 AM
daltrey

tower hobbies sells the crystal set for 24.99. so i'm just gonna buy the channel 26 crystals and plug them up and see what happens. i live out in the middle of nowhere, corinth, MS and if AMA could even find this place on the map i would be surprised. i'm gonna fly it in my backyard so if any damage is done it will probably be to the ground or the trees so wish me luck.

thanks for the replies,

daltrey park

i got off of ebay,

k&b .40, glow plug, mcdaniel ni-starter and charger, field box, four wood props, engine wrench, extra gas tank to break in engine, futaba skysport4 with futaba 600 mah battery, charger and training sim (fms freeware) with laptop hookup, futaba flight pack, all for under $250. i've had the plane its a royal-air 20t, i bought it about 10 years ago and just now decided to put it all together and try and fly it.