Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 5625s causing radio lockout ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 05:31 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hitec 5625s causing radio lockout ...

I have now crashed a brand new raptor heli 3 times (over $200 in damage per each crash .. ) due to radio lock out .... Before my last crash, i changed everything out since i was having these problems !
- rx
- battery
- switch
- gyro
- even tx !
- etc ...

I am now changing out the servos ! I am puting in non digital Hitecs ... I know of at least 2 other people whose 9625s caused radio lockout or glitching, both causing a crash .....

has anyone else had such issues with the 9625 servos ? i know of the full deflection issues, but what about the servo causing the whole radio to lock out ? its so bad on my heli, that this happened less than 20 feet from the TX last time !! .....

Wojtek
Old 11-22-2002, 06:39 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woj

The servos in of themselves cannot create radio lockout as you suggest, IMO...
One can fail, several failing simultaneously just doesn't happen.
In any event It's unlikely they're generating any RF noise that would cause a lockout, in fact I've never heard of this happening.

Are you using PCM or PPM modulation?

More than likely the problem is in the mechanics somewhere.

It is possible your battery pack is defective or inadequate.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:11 AM
wojtek

I changed everything, including the battery pack.... servos are the only thing left i can think of ... I even tried 3 diferent frequencies ...

Wojtek
Old 11-22-2002, 07:28 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, then, as I suggested I'd be looking at the mechanics there are numerous possible sources of RF noise. more than any other type of RC machine that I can ponder... Look for any metal to metal connections that maybe vibrating, this is the most common source.

PPM or PCM?

Provide the machine setup, i.e mechanics, radio, RX, battery size and voltage, if PCM RX settings for fail-safe event.

Can you describe the scenario that lead's to the demise of the ship, are there similarities?

Replacing the servos is a good idea, but if it is something else your out more time and money...
Old 11-22-2002, 09:13 PM
wojtek

here is exactly what happens .....

- radio is set to hold all positions (SERVO) on failsafe, and the throttle gets brought to idle .....

- i fly a few circuits with the heli, and after a while the radio locks out...
- engine goes to idle (as per failsafe settings), and all servos hold position ..
- once engine is at idle i am forced to start an auto rotation,
- radio kicks in, and heli throtles up again, and back up it goes !!
- same thing starts again ...

- after trying to land it a few times , it crashes ............

this is very frustrating ...

Wojtek
Old 11-22-2002, 09:19 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the 5625s in my Raptor without any problems. Have you modified your receiver antena in any way?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you regain radio control once the engine is at idle?

Sounds to me like you've got some intermittent metal-on-metal contact taking place somewhere in your bird. YOu throttle up and [something] vibrates loose causing RF interference, which sends your rx into hold, which lowers the throttle, which stops the vibration (and the interference), so you regain control and raise the throttle, which causes the vibration, etc.

I had a similar situation with my Rap - lots of weird glitches and holds. I changed out *everything* radio-related - rx, servos, gyro, antenna, etc. I tore the bird down looking for bad bearings, loose bits, etc. No luck.

I finally tried swapping out the wonderfully powerful Webra .35 and Weston pipe for the original TT .35 w/ stock muffler. No glitches! I pulled off the stock muffler and stuck the Weston onto the TT - hey-presto, glitches. ***!

Turns out that one of the baffles inside the pipe had cracked loose and was vibrating - this was the source of all my problems. I replaced the pipe with another one, put the Webra back on and its been smooth sailing ever since.