Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is it smart to fly with Hitec servors in My bigbird?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is it smart to fly with Hitec servors in My bigbird?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
luv2fly2
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it smart to fly with Hitec servors in My bigbird?

I just bought a Jtec 40% extra 330 and it came with Hitec servors in it. Now while the plan has had only about 30 flights on it I am being told to take the hitecs out and put Jr servors in it. I have been told that the hitec is going to burnd up and crash my plane. Now while I have seen this happen to one plane is it true for all big planes. I run hitec in my small planes and have no problem.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Is it smart to fly with Hitec servors in My bigbird?

which Hitecs?

I fly them in my 30% plane..... 5955's and 5945's and ne'er a problem
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Hitec 5945's almost exclusively and have never had a problem. 5 of the ones I have live in a Gp Gene Soucy Extra with well over 200 flights both sequence and mid to brutal 3D maneuvers
Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
luv2fly2
My Feedback: (66)

I am using 5945s but I see in your plane and like I said in my small planes I have had no trouble, but it was only one per control. This 40% has two and three per control.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own. I have nine 33% or larger RTF and every one of them use Hitec, 5945's. I've never had a problem and I was still flying while many that used JR's were crashing.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I prefer another brand, the failure rate of any type of servo depends largely on the care expended during the installation. A poorly installed "gang" due to linkage binding and over loading can, and will, cause any product to fail. An installation well thought out and checked to locate and eliminate issues will have a much longer lifespan and proportionally greater performance levels. Whenever multiple servos are used to drive a single surface, faster part wear should be anticipated and more frequent checks made to verify the servo(s) condition.

Other that the above, any product that's man made has a potential for failure, and we as users have to take the time to assure that each unit is working properly prior to the first flight. And each flight thereafter. Basically, chose a product that suits your needs and exercise the care necessary to assure success.

Pat
Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Bob Laine

Silversurfer, I wish life was really that simple. When servo cases warp when under load, Installation won't prevent that design flaw.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You're right Pat, my only radio related crash was when a Hitec 545 failed in the right wing of my BTE Venture 60. I have been using JRs for about 10 years and no failures.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Bob Laine

Hobbsy, Sorry about the goof. I wasn't thinking. I use a lot of JR servos with my smaller planes, no problem. About three years ago I used the JR 8611 servos in a giant scale plane, and crashed due to the case warping on them. I understand that problem has been solved now due to a redesign of the case.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No problem sir, I am going to be getting some large servos soon for a Bruce Tharpe Super Flyin King. I am looking forward to building it.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:04 PM
RTK

Since I have not flown my 5955's I can not make any comments on there reliability. But I do know they have less gear slop out of the box than any of the (16) 8611's I own.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Tired Old Man

Bob,

Thank you for the clarification. I can't vouch for the new case tops, but so far JR has never lied to me. Judging from past experience the veracity of their statements should not be in doubt. I did not then or now want to get into a "who's better" type of discussion. Just to let ya know, I lost a plane to the other guy. Haven't had a problem to date (other than one self induced) by the new guy.

My opinion anymore is use what has treated you best in the past and that which you have the most experience with. It's a comfort level thing. Affordability should not be part of the equation. If it is the user is in over their head and should step back for a moment and reconsider the fiscal effects of a possible airframe loss, from whatever reason.

Aside from that, test each component as best as you can and verify that the intallation was done correctly with minimal resistance, while always paying attention to pre and post flight checks. Follow that course and any servo used that fits the required standards should work fine. No one can guarantee that every product will work perfectly every time.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:15 PM
RTK

There has been a test done here on RCU with a few manufacturers servos. The results will be interesting to say the least.
If you want a preview, go to the Cirkus forum and see what has been said. Make sure you read to the end, as there are/is explanations of a few problems/concerns encountered.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

Silversurfer, I wish life was really that simple. When servo cases warp when under load, Installation won't prevent that design flaw.
Yep...and installation doesnt make servos lock over for no reason either
Old 01-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I copied this from the Cirkus forum. I personally use whatever the job takes be it JR, Futaba or Hitec and have had few problems with any of them plus I have about 12 5945s.
Now, I've got a dozen 8611a's on my new airplane. I was just in the setting up stage where I finally got all the throws dialed in. I did the old servo test method.. you know, throwing the sticks up, down and all around manually. Did this for about 10 minutes when one of the ailerons stopped working. I found one 8611a locked. Disconnected that one and found the other two were free wheeling but not doing anything. So, all went back to Horizon. Apparently, one servo froze (motor) and that in turn, caused the amplifiers on the other two to go out. Brand new, out of the box. Go figure.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Bob Laine

AndyT, Just as Silversurfer said, "Careful detail to installation and centering all servos to each other is very important to any installation that one expects to be successful. I( know just as many guy's that use 8411's, and 8611's without any problem. The reason I prefer Hitec, servos in my planes now is because I am so heavily invested in them. (over 75 5945'S) And, I have finally learned to use the programmer to set them up correctly. I would have no hesitation to using any of the major major radio Mg's servos today. I just wish that they would all get together and color code their wires the same, and make all servos compatible from one brand to another.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine
. I just wish that they would all get together and color code their wires the same, and make all servos compatible from one brand to another.
Agreed!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Tired Old Man

I don't think I've ever been this politically correct in my life. What a pain in the a--!!

Flipping the coin over, I've had brand new servos from the other manufacturers lock over in a single servo installation on two separate occasions. Go figure... Essentially it doesn't matter who makes it, s--- happens.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 AM
car147

Used both Hitec 5945's and jr 8611 on all my large petrols.. no probs whatesever, dont go with the Hype, go with what your happy with.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:23 PM
more power

I assume your using a futaba radio that will match to the hitec servo connections , on any high torque servo you must use a 6 volt battery for the best response , for better speed and torque . have used many high torque hitech servos and with a Y connector ,a 6 volt battery is a must , multible in line servos draw a lot of power a 1500 mil battery is a good choice on any acrabatic air plane you will have a lot of servo use. so be safe and have extra voltage and amp hrs have fun
Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
VKGT

I have all Hitec servos in one of my 30% Planes and don''t really have too many problems. Around 100 flights or so, I''ve definately noticed some slop in some of my MG servos (645s)
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
BigSTIK40flier

Wow 2 year old thread up dug up, But at least it still has a purpose.

IMO, Id trust Hitec servos over any other brand. I will admit I have had servos fail from hitec, but they have always given me warning long before so. Unlike Ive seen many JR and futabas suddenly just quit. [:@]
Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

I have bee useing 5955's, 5645's and the Tower sold (Hitec manufactured) TS-170 TG with no problems whatsoever in 25-27% planes with no problems.[)]
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

You should ONLY use Hitec servos in your big bird if you want:

[ul][*] great realibility[*] great longevity and the option of Titanium gears[*] to save money normally spent on bying a "name"
[/ul]