Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 AM
spyder0069

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.

I use all JR equipment. Replaced my XP652 computer radios with a new 6102 computer radio. Twice now I have bumped the power switch putting it in my flight box leaving the radio on and once I left it on accidentally while setting up a new plane. Each time resulted in a battery brought down to zero volts. One battery had a cell that went zero. The next seems to be ok after cycling a few times. SOOOO. I don't understand why a computer radio that can show you the battery voltage doesn't power off after the voltage drops to .9v per cell protecting the battery. Nobody is flying when the batts hit 7.2v anyway and even in the cheap 4 channel noncomputer radios they have a beep when they get low so they are capable of it too. Seriously, how was this missed? They have the capability of turning off the tranmitter when you hook the dsc cable up so really they only need the rest of the radio to go into a sleep mode.

Also, I one time had a old futaba fm 6 channel radio (probably a conquest series). Had a 3 position switch for the flaps. Allowed me to have no flaps, half flaps, full flaps. My 6102 has all or nothing. I don't want a dial either. The 3 position gave you an exact setting. We're suppose to move forward aren't we?

Oh yeah, no timer on the 6102 either. [>:]
Old 02-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why don't all radios have this feature? Add on if you have one.

Keeping the price down I believe.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

here is my thought...

you say
Nobody is flying when the batts hit 7.2v anyway
while nobody SHOULD...how do we know nobody is.....

now, the "not too intellegent" flyer who does fly with the batteries too low is flying along...on the edge of mental and electrical control.... and the radio shuts off all by itself, the plane now continues on its merry way with no control straight into a school playground, loaded with kids...

Now what?

if you are a radio manufacturer, would you EVER do anything to even remotely open yourself up to that potenital liabilty?

I think not
Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 AM
BaronSchwab

^^ exeter_acres made a good point. I would not want to be liable.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Jim_McIntyre

An audible "low battery" warning should address these issues.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:07 PM
carrellh

My Futaba transmitter beeps when I turn it on. Hopefully I would notice that if I accidentally hit the switch.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

First part of the post answered the question...
JR equipment
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 PM
spyder0069

Cost would only change by a nickle. A simple mosfet would handle it. As a manufacturer I would put in place a set voltage that when the transmitter was turned on if the voltage did not exceed (say 8 volts) the rf transmitter would never power up. Therefore it would not only prevent a flight with a low pack from starting but would also allow the disconnection of the pack once it dropped below the 7.2v. This gives one plenty of time to land if in mid flight. Low battery beeps are great but I can't hear them in my basement. I suspect there is a defined voltage that once dropped below the rf transmitter becomes ineffective anyway. And if one wanted to get picky have the option in the computer display and set it to default to off so that covers the manufacturer but also allows us to turn the battery protection on.

"While nobody should"...

Exactly. Why doesn't the manufacture prevent this? Gun manufactures put a safety on a gun so that the owner doesn't shoot themself accidentally. Same concept.

Just thoughts.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

very good point that exeter_acres points out. to improve on this idea like spyder said you can put a mosfet chip to not turn the rf signal on if battery voltage is below a certain point. But for safety I'm sure they would be able to make it not shut off the rf signal if voltage drops below the cutoff voltage after being powered on. Instead of shutting off the signal, they could sound an alarm allowing for a safe landing. And to Farther improving on that idea, maybe they could make the radio go into a sleep mode (if you will) if the transmitter is turned on and a certain amount of time passes without any stick inputs.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I also think that it would be nice for radios to have a channel scanner for the channel your on to prevent those intentional and accidential shoot downs. But that doesn't seem to mater much now as the new Spectrum radios would fix this problem.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:30 AM
spyder0069

The new synthesized transmitters do have the channel scanner. Won't help you if someone turns on a cheap radio and shoots you down though. The specktrum radios are a good start. However they have limited range and are only for park flyers due to this.

Yes the sleep mode that activates when the sticks have no movement after a duration is perfect. Better patent that one! :^)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

I have two different Futaba transmitters that can be set to shut off if no stick or switch movement occurs after a set time. I have mine set to turn off after 30 minutes with no movement.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 AM
SuperAirborne

Dear Spyder0069:

I have an XP6102 (actualy X2610, which is the same TX but only the non-USA version). My Tx does turn itself off when the battery voltage drops below 8.0V. An audible battery low warning is given when the voltage drops below 8.9V.

Regarding flaps, you do know that you can assign certain swicthes to certain function??? If you used the rocker switch next to the trainer button on the left hands side for flaps, your flaps would be completely propertional. Or you could use the rocker switch on the right hand side. This would give your flaps three positions, like on your Futaba. Don't use the toggle switches at the top of the TX for flaps, unless you only want two-postion flaps, eg flaps down and flaps neutral.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

1) All transmitters should have flight timers or power on timers that beep after a preset time.

2) All receivers should have a method to check signal strength to make range checking more precise.

3) All transmitters should have a low voltage alarm.

4) It would be nice if all transmitter antennas had the ability to be tilted up to a 45 degree angle.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
spyder0069

SuperAirborne:

That must be a added feature on your transmitter because mine drained the battery all the way down to 1.5v. My Duratrax Ice charger cycled the battery and it seams to retain 5/6 of the original charge/discharge ma but I still may replace it. It did take several false peaks before the battery came back to life. I know about the rocker switch but from my experimentation this is really no different that having a proportional knob. When you click the rocker it goes one notch at a time just like the trim rockers. When I was flying a plane with flaps I prefered to have 2 separate exact postions for flaps and then of course the flaps off position. I don't want to count the clicks of the rockers. I thought both rockers acted the same but I'll have to revisit the radio setup to know for sure. Maybe I have to unmap the toggles or something?

Geistware:
I like the signal check strength idea. It would be neat if the receiver had an LED and when the transmitter was turned on and you did a antenna down range check the led on the receiver would green for ok or red for too many signal losses.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the automatic shutoff feature it could be added quite simply to shutoff at a certain voltage if the sticks aren't moving. If the sticks are moving beep, if not shutoff. As far as cost most the new computer transmitters would just need to be programmed and have an output port free to turn off the mosfet chip.

Actual manufactures cost to implement certainly less than $5.00. Most computerised transmitters are sold on preceived value that has little to do with manufacturing cost. Look at the features available on the Polk to get an idea of what can be available for a low price point.

I like Giestwares ideas.
John
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 AM
snotbaby

I have a JR sx600, Is it possible to change the flap snap-switch to a proportional dial?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
paulcarnes

I guess I'm nobody! Last summer my Riser 100 was spec height when the transmitter battery decided it was on its last cycle and my radio started beeping. The transmitter read 6.7 when I got the glider back on the ground. Control was not good but there was enough to get me down within walking distance. A cut off would have resulted in a lost plane. On the subject of "beeps", my hearing is not the best and even one engine running at the field will prevent me from hearing a warning beep. I wish they would make them a little lower frequency for those of us who don't hear the high notes anymore!

ORIGINAL: spyder0069

I use all JR equipment. Replaced my XP652 computer radios with a new 6102 computer radio. Twice now I have bumped the power switch putting it in my flight box leaving the radio on and once I left it on accidentally while setting up a new plane. Each time resulted in a battery brought down to zero volts. One battery had a cell that went zero. The next seems to be ok after cycling a few times. SOOOO. I don't understand why a computer radio that can show you the battery voltage doesn't power off after the voltage drops to .9v per cell protecting the battery. Nobody is flying when the batts hit 7.2v anyway and even in the cheap 4 channel noncomputer radios they have a beep when they get low so they are capable of it too. Seriously, how was this missed? They have the capability of turning off the tranmitter when you hook the dsc cable up so really they only need the rest of the radio to go into a sleep mode.

Also, I one time had a old futaba fm 6 channel radio (probably a conquest series). Had a 3 position switch for the flaps. Allowed me to have no flaps, half flaps, full flaps. My 6102 has all or nothing. I don't want a dial either. The 3 position gave you an exact setting. We're suppose to move forward aren't we?

Oh yeah, no timer on the 6102 either. [>:]
Old 02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys aren't asking for much. I would like an ear bud receptacle with the transmitter telling me which switch I touch. If I touch the dual rate aileron switch, it would call it out in the ear bud.

By the way, it takes a lot to change a 10 cent part. When you consider the cost of changing a production line, rewriting the instructions, retraining personnel, plus the time and cost loss of stopping a running line, it can be considerable.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:54 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

You guys aren't asking for much. I would like an ear bud receptacle with the transmitter telling me which switch I touch. If I touch the dual rate aileron switch, it would call it out in the ear bud.

By the way, it takes a lot to change a 10 cent part. When you consider the cost of changing a production line, rewriting the instructions, retraining personnel, plus the time and cost loss of stopping a running line, it can be considerable.
Ed. the 14MZ does just that. It has a receptacle for a headphone or earpiece, and you can create and assign sounds to every switch on the radio. Done.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:51 AM
JNorton

Now let's get it a price mere mortals can afford.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Ed,
Get the Futaba 14mZ. It will do that for you if you program it to do so.

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Old 02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
RTK

The 9z has a low battery cut off, but it warns you way in advance of shutting down. It also has an adjustable timed turn off when not in use.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Mac_Man_UK

All JR Radios have a low battery warning. Usually set to 9V as standard.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

All JR Radios have a low battery warning. Usually set to 9V as standard.

Yah but we were talking about actually turning off the transmitter if the sticks weren't being moved.
John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.