Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servos not centering

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default servos not centering

I purchased a new JR 9303 radio recently and I am setting up my first plane with it. The plane is a Funtana 90. One of the reasons I was excited to get the new radio was it's ability to program dual servos for the same surface control. No longer would I need a reversing "Y" for my elevator. Well when I try to set up my elevator servos, one of the servos doesn't go back to center when I move the radio control to simulate a right turn, after a left turn it does go back. The servos are medium priced standard servos, not digital. Is this common with dual servo setups? Should I replace the servo with another? Are digital servos any better when it comes to centering?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM
stek79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: servos not centering

Yes, digitals are better as far as centering is concerned, but you should not buy them to solve such a problem... some questions:

- are there any friction in control surfaces that makes them hard to move?
- are the servo enough powerful? I've seen some really cheap servos that have really bad centering capabilities... what kind of servo are you using?
- are the linkages setup correctly? When precision is important, mechanical advantage is a must - i.e., control horns and servo arms lengths should be chosen carefully. otherwise a poor setup will exhibit blow-back and lack of precision during flight, especially for 3D one.

Feel free to ask, let us know what is your servo setup...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't post this to start a product bashing, the servos are from a major mfg. and they are not the "discount" ones. They are ball bearing and higher torque than std. I'm using MG High torque servos for the ailerons and they are centering OK. What would be a good servo to use.? I centered the servos when I started the setup and there is nothing binding, everything I'm using is Heavy Duty (hardware).
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM
stek79

Sorry, but if the servo center well when it goes left and does not center well when it goes right, either there is some friction somewhere of the servo is not good enough!

I dont' see other reasons.

Obviously, as I stated previosly, also the mechanical setup is important. What are the control horn and servo arm lengths that are you using? If they are biased towards heavy 3D, certainly the servo should be much more precise in order to obtain precise centering at the surface.

More precisely, what do you mean by servo not centering well? Are we speaking of 2 degrees or 0.2 ???

I don't understand why you are not willing to say what servo do you use, this is a free discussion forum. If you want help, you have to describe more your setup.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
pilotpete2

gnirwin,
First rule of troubleshooting is to isolate the problem. First swap the servo leads, if the problem stays with the same servo and there's no bind, it's bad. If the condition moves to the other servo, the problems in the radio or your programing[>:]