Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba or Jr

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
kgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or Jr

Futaba 7cap or Jr 6103 any thought on wich is better....besides the obvious extra channel price etc.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:33 PM
glowfuel

Default RE: Futaba or Jr

I personally have the JR 6102 and love the radio.

Upgraded from an old JR 631
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
carrellh

As far as "better" that is strictly a personal preference thing.

Go to the Hitec site
http://www.hitecrcd.com/
Click on the picture of the Optic 6 transmitter
Click the link for the "Optic comparison chart"

The chart compares the following
Hitec Optic 6
Airtronics RD6000 Super
Futaba 7C
JR 6102

I didn't see a 6103 listed at Horizon. Was that a typo, or is it a new model?

Compare features to see which one fits your wants and needs. If it's still a toss-up, find a hobby shop that stocks both. Hold them like you would while flying (antenna extended, with neck strap or tray if you use them, etc) and buy the one that feels best to you.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:03 PM
kgs

that was a typo its a 6102 not a 6103
Old 02-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I own a JR 8103 and I love it. Seems like most of the top professionals use JR.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My list of top radios includes JR, Futaba, Multiplex and Graupner. My choice right now is JR 2610 (same as 6102).

It does everything I want it to do (and a bit more). A flight timer would be a good addition to this model. Something like a very complex glider would see me getting creative with the mixes and possibly running out of channels.

Compare features and see which model has what you need/want. There is little difference in quality.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
carrellh

I would try to stay away from any hype the 'top professionals' put out about any brand of radio, engine, etc. They get paid to say something is best.

It truly boils down to features, how it feels (to you), and price. One of the guys in our club has a JR 10X. He was a Futaba user for years but says the JR "feels better" in his hands. One of the other members was flying the plane controlled by the 10X and said it "felt funny" in his hands. He replaced a Hitec Eclipse, that got stolen, with a Futaba 9C after visiting the hobby shop to get a feel for a bunch of the current models.

Most of the people I know are pretty happy with their radios regardless of brand.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I would try to stay away from any hype the 'top professionals' put out about any brand of radio, engine, etc. They get paid to say something is best.
Well said. Its a propaganda war, designed to sway our purchasing decision.

Anyone who REALLY thinks that QQ Somenzini switched to JR because he thought JR was "better" than Futaba... call me. I've got an island for sale.

kgs, I've used both brands. Both are excellent. I'm not familiar with the 6102, but I have a 7C and it is a very nice entry-level radio. About the only thing it lacks is a dual elevator servo program. You'll need a separate mixer unit for that. Otherwise, it will do most anything you need.

Like carrelh said, try them yourself and choose on features/"feel". There is a definite difference in each brand's ergonomics, and that feature is more important than many realize. IOW, if you're not comfortable when you hold the radio, your flying won't be its best.

But as far as quality, precision, etc., is concerned, neither one is better than the other.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
stinger40

Futaba. That is the only brand I use. Nothing against JR, but I just like Futaba better.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I am on my third radio. I have had a Hitec and Futaba. Now I own a Multiplex Profi 4000 which does more than I need but all that I want. I would recommend you buy the best radio you can afford and check out the EVO series from Multiplex. A friend has an EVO 12 and loves it. In hind sight I should have bought the Multiplex at the start.

Carl
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not necessarily stay away, but I'm sure I'd use anyone's good radio that they gave me and perhaps even paid me to use.

In the two clubs I fly with Futaba is far and away the most common, probably 80 or 90%. I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with. It's like Apple vs. Microsoft. After a while you tend to settle in with and think like your equipment and find it "intuitive". It's actually conditioned response.

I found the Futaba 9C very "intuitive" when it came out, but I've heard other brand users bemoan that it is incomprehensible. Depends on your background, I guess. I don't think Futaba, Hitec or JR produce a bad radio. certainly some are better than others within the lines and one comaprable level readio may suit you better then the competition. The only way to choose is to chart out features and highlight the ones you require and desire, then go with either your head or your heart. If you're lucky they both arrived at the same radio.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's about like asking: Chevy, or Ford (or Mopar). Depends on who you ask. Futaba has been my favorites since day 1 (over 30 years ago), and they have always had the right stuff for me.
But like someone else said: it's a personal choice, based on what suits you and your needs best.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Here's the best advice you will get on the subjet:

Most radios in a similar price range have similar features. So.........go to a hobby shop or fun fly and find the radios you have it narrowed down to and hold them in your hands, see which feels most comfortable to you. For example I have small hands so I like the 9c but I've flown just about all of them as an instructor. My friend that flys with JR has big fat fingers and cant get his fingers inbetween the switchs on my radio but the 9303 works out great for him.

Also if you fly with a neck strap take one with you so you can see how it balances etc.

The only other factor to consider is if you have a drawer full of a particular brand reciever (everything else pretty much crosses over) you may want to stick with that brand as many (including ALL pcm) arent cross compatible, though some are.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
-Inverted-

I also had this decision recently. I finally decided on the 7CAP and it will be here soon.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I had that decision to make earlier this year. My first radio was an Airtronics, then my second and third were Futabas. I won't go back to Airtronics since they have all but abandoned their aircraft line of radios. I have liked the JR radios I've used while helping other people at my club, and some people claim the JR uses a more narrow band... but I have not seen that here, so I don't know. I bought a Futabab 7CAP earlier this year and then sold it and bought the 9C Super. I really, really like that radio...