Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XP6102 or Hitec Optic 6?

Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 AM
mctribe18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XP6102 or Hitec Optic 6?

We're looking for a first (6 channel) computer radio, and can't decide between the JR XP6102 or the Hitec Optic 6.
They both rate much the same in the reviews. Purchase price aside, would anyone like to comment which way to go? ie is either one easier to use than the other?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 AM
ozextra62

Default RE: JR XP6102 or Hitec Optic 6?

Personally, I would go with the Optic 6. It has great features for the money, like assignable switches and I have never had an issue with any of my Hitec gear in 10 years of using it. I owned one JR and vowed and declared I would never buy another one. Lost count of the number of times it was serviced. I don't intend to bag any particular brand as you will find happy owners and dissatisfied owners with any brand. I actually use Multiplex now and it is awesome.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The JR has assignable switches too...

What do you want to do with it?
Can you get lists of features or manuals (I think at least the JR manual is available as a download somewhere)?
Can you get them in your hands to try the feel?

I have JR 2610 (the 35MHz version) and the only thing I am missing is a flight timer and I am currently doing OK without it.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't going to use many of the programming feathres, either radio will be fine. I have a couple of 8103s and have examined a buddy's 6102 and, except for a few mixes and timers (which I don't use) they are pretty much the same. The good thing about the 6102 is you can turn the gear switch off and use channel 5 for mixing, which I do a lot of.

My flying partner (he builds and I fly) has several Hitechs and, personally, I think their programming and the way their features are set up, especially on the Ecllipse, are not very good. JR's programming is straight forward and the way you do it hasn't changed for years. They have added features along the way, but the basics are still the same as the original Galaxy, the first computer radio.

Go to the 2 web sites and download the manuals. Reading the Eclllipse manual is something else. Maybe the Optic 6 is better, but I see a lot of JR owners using the extra features while the Hitech owners seem to do less.

Finally, if you ever want to get a ham license and go to 50MHz, JR has ham equipment while Hitech does not.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: mctribe18

We're looking for a first (6 channel) computer radio, and can't decide between the JR XP6102 or the Hitec Optic 6.
They both rate much the same in the reviews. Purchase price aside, would anyone like to comment which way to go? ie is either one easier to use than the other?
Here you go ..... check out this comparison [link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/Optic%206%20comparison%20chart.htm]here[/link]
Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
MikeMayberry

Another factor to consider is the JR is on a fixed 72mhz only channel, where the Optic uses a module so it can use the Synthesized Spectra or future 2.4Ghz module. The best value is to get the version #158723 that includes the Optic TX and Spectra module with the RX only for less than $200.

Mike.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
pilotpete2

mctribe 18,

I second mike on that one, Hitec was stating last weekend at the WRAM show that their 2.4ghz full range module based system will be out in 6 mo. I believe the Optic 6 is the only 6 Ch in it's price class with a removable Rf module
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 PM
rustleruss
My Feedback: (3)

This may help or not but i just bought a jr xp 6102 and i am learning what i can do with it now i love the easy programing i was a hitec guy but when i seen what this babe can do i decided to get the jr
Old 03-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I have the Eclipse 7 and and have been using it for about a year, well last night i spent 600 bucks for a JR 9303 With the synth module and PCM reciever.
The Hitec is very limited on mixing options, my had the optic 6 and got rid of it for the JR 8103.
If I was you id ditch the 6 channels and get a 8 channel, it dosnt take long at all to grow out of the 6 channel radios.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 AM
rustleruss
My Feedback: (3)

Well for one i do not need a 8 channel for the type planes i fly my 6 channel is just what i need
to many people have large radios they do not need "they bought a large channel radio because someone told them how nice they were or maybe later on you may need more then 6 channels well i do not. i spend a hell of a lot on RC every year but none is useless or because someone told me too because thats what the gang uses hehehehe lollol!BS

"small world"
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dealspeed
If I was you id ditch the 6 channels and get a 8 channel, it dosnt take long at all to grow out of the 6 channel radios.
It all depends on what you want to do, or what you see yourself doing within a couple of years.

More than 6 channels is indicated, if you want, turbine jets; scale planes with retracts, flaps and stuff; or big gliders with 4 servo wings.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: rcguyme

This may help or not but i just bought a jr xp 6102 and i am learning what i can do with it now i love the easy programing i was a hitec guy but when i seen what this babe can do i decided to get the jr
That's interesting, especially considering that the Optic has more funtionality than the 6102.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/Optic...on%20chart.htm

Mike.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 AM
mctribe18

Mike - can you elaborate further on "more functionality in the Optic"?. What is it like to use? I've not seen a 'live' one yet. I've handled a JR at our club and it really is comfortable in the hands.

Tribal loyalties aside (we're novice enough in the hobby not to have any), all our looking around hasn't been able to separate the the two. It seems the the JR may be easier to use (read: program), but here in Australia, the Optic 6 (sans the synthesizer) is $AUD150 ($111USD) cheaper than the JR, so that's as good a reason as any I guess.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:34 AM
mctribe18

Apologies Mike - I forgot to mention I went to the comparison chart, but to be quite honest I didn't understand what some of the features were (I haven't flown helis or gliders yet).
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
MikeMayberry

My comment is based on the fact the the poster seemed to indicate that he bought the JR beceuase it can do more than the Optic when that is not true. Both are fine radios, but the Optic does offer more... FOR LESS!

Some of the features that are very well received are the three timers, dual elevators, full trailing edge camber/reflex (Gliders), and the fact that it is module based which can use our Spectra synthesized module and future 2.4Ghz module.

I would recommend you search on "Optic" and see how happy the users are with this radio; especially the ease of programming. Most people that comment that it is hard to program have not spent any time with it.

Mike.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:51 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

JR is the BEST........HANDS DOWN WINNER ! [sm=punching.gif]