Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which transmitter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Toker41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which transmitter??

Is there a TX that I can use with all my planes? One that I can program to memory the trim settings for each plane? Is there one that has a programable frequency (channel) so that I wouldn't have to have each plane on the same channel? I have 2 gas planes and 2 parkflyers already, and figure it makes more sense to buy one radio that will grow with my hobby instead of a new TX with every plane.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 AM
RVman

Default RE: Which transmitter??

polk tracker III
www.polkshobby.com/index1.html
Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure about all of the available tx's, but most have synthesized modules available so you can select the frequency you want. BUT you must decide on which shift you want, i.e. JR is positive shift, Futaba is negative shift so their tx's and rx's won't play with each other's products. I don't know anything about the above mentioned Polk...

edit info:
One other thing, IIRC park flyers may use an entirely different frequency band, 27MHz I think? You can buy a synthesized module from Futaba in 50MHz, 72MHz, or 75MHz but I don't think you can go from 72MHz to 27MHz with any of them. You may want to verify the frequency band your park flyers are using.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also the Hitec Eclipse and Optic6 will allow several different model setting to be held in memory and, if using the Spectrum Module, covers all frequencies. They also have programable shift selection.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hi Toker 41.

You should look into what is used most in your surroundings - then chose a top-set or a set near the top and you will be well served.

And yes - most modern wellknown makes have the synthesizer - technology as an option or as standard.

If you choose something in FUTABA - JR range you will find a variety of possibilities to your service - fx tx's with memories for a whole lot of models.

My own choise was a Graupner MC 24 ( which is a clone of a JR ) with 40 memories - and it was chosen because of ease in programming and because those who i fly with used such equipement ( help to programming ).

And in the top end of each make you could be satisfied.

KR

hld - OY-9901
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do you want your planes on different channels? Do you want to fly them all at the same time?

The world is full of transmitters that let you store settings for several planes (trim, mixes, expo, end points, ...) My JR has place for 10 models. Not sure how many the rest handle.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
rctrax

Polk's tracer III will hold 99 models in memory, is fully synthiscised and will work with any FM rx out there.These are only a few of the attrabuts of this rig. a Also it's a steal at 200.00 fo tx,rx charger,swich harness and one servo. For a top of the line computer radio I don't know where you are going to do better. The only other radio out there that will do as much or more costs 2500.00
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
marvm

I didn't want to log-jam my last query with too much interrogative, however, I think, being a junior birdman, another, related question for this thread might involve servos, and there consideration when selecting a transmitter.

In a cursive way, in my research on transmitters, I've seen "stuff" about servos, their properties and their communication with the receiver...and perhaps...I'm wondering, even the transmitter? From my 8th grade ham radio days...decades ago...I remember a bit about transmission of signals...nothing contemporary; though, myself, binary, hexidecimal and digital (computer programs or computer circuits) have had a long and occasionally prosperous relationship. I know that the receiver has serveral sections to it, obviously, two come to mind, the input/output with the transmitter, and, the input/output with the servo.

Then, there's digital vs. analog. It seems like most stuff these days is pulse-coded, and I think that might even apply to EITHER digital or analog signal transmission. And, if these transmissions follow the normal logic of analog vs. digital, then safety, security and other noise related factors are respectable and sensible reasons for using digital transmission.

But, for a new person to RC Helicoptering, what do we need to know about this kind of stuff as we go through our individual change and growth in this fun and challenging "sport"? In simple, block diagram form, what are the considerations and things to look for when selecting transmitter, receiver and servos? And, maybe, even some 'why?' explanation that would be simple for us downy-birds to digest?

P. S. I apologize for the double carriage return/linefeeds in my last post...
Old 03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
marvm

PLEASE NOTE: For some reason, my first reply to this thread didn't make it across the air waves to the forum. However, my second reply did. So, to preclude any confusion, here's my first reply:

I'm hoping this thread isn't the wrong place to pose another subject related question...

Coattail Subject: Futaba 9CHP Super FSS (with Synth Module) and, the E-Flite Blade CP

My question: Can there be a marriage between the Futaba 9CHP Super FSS (with Synth Module) and, the E-Flite Blade CP stock 4-in-1?

The situation and wonderment:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Futaba 9CHP Super FSS, with the Synth Module and R319DPS receiver. I plan on setting the receiver aside until a shiny new T-Rex SE V2 shows up in my reality. In the meantime, my desire is to use the Synth Module powered 9CHP Super with my E-Flite Blade CP.

I've been doing some research on the web, and have heard a lot of interesting stuff about using the Blade CP with the 9CHP Super FSS (with the Synth Module). Being in the early "still disoriented" stages of the RC Heli experience, I certainly feel qualified to ask what may be some dumb questions. Soon, I may be able to tear-down, build-up and adjust the mechanics on my Blade, blindfolded...well...I may be stretching it considerably...but, the truth is, I haven't focused on the electronics end much, cuz the mechanics and tuning are a pure delight to play with.

Some of the things I've heard:

One guy says I need to buy a Berg crystal for the 4-in-1 unit on the Blade in order to use the Synth Module equipped 9CHP Super with it. Another guy says you can't do it, period. He's tried everything (including talking to the Futaba folks), and he can't get it to work with the Synth Module. He was able to plug in a Frequency Module on his 9C and then it worked.

I didn't want to invest in a Frequency Module if I didn't have to, and from all I've read, the FSS Synth Module equipped 9CHP Super should work with just about any contemporary "receiver". The guy that told me to use a "Berg" crystal, said I needed to plug one of those into my 4-in-1 in order to be able to take full advantage of 9CHP Pitch and Throttle Curve programming for the Blade. Huh? Isn't the "Berg" just an ordinary, everyday single conversion, standard crystal? Just like the one already in the Blade CP? Or am I missing some additional understanding here?

Another gentleman cautiously gave me some advice that sounded like it may apply: Ensure that you can get the right shift. It (the Futaba 9CHP Super...with or without the Synth Module...I'm not sure...) is negative shift, so any rx must be negative shift or have a toggle to go from positive to negative. After that you need to check on dual conversion vs single conversion crystal issues.

Now, here I am, wondering. Is there anyone out there, who understands and/or has had experience marrying the Blade CP with the 9CHP Super FSS (with the Synth Module), without using the R319DPS rcvr? If it can be done, what is really required?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: marvm

I'm hoping this thread isn't the wrong place to pose another subject related question...

Coattail Subject: Futaba 9CHP Super FSS (with Synth Module) and, the E-Flite Blade CP

My question: Can there be a marriage between the Futaba 9CHP Super FSS (with Synth Module) and, the E-Flite Blade CP stock 4-in-1?
I would have started a new thread. Now answers to the original question will be mixed with answers to yours but it's no big deal.

I know nothing about your Heli or the stuff in it but certain things apply no matter what brand or model of equipment.

Your receiver crystal needs to be the same brand as your receiver and it needs to be the correct type for the specific receiver (single or dual conversion, possibly other factors).

As far as what receivers will or will not work with the 9CHP/Synthesized module, that's a good question. Futaba will only assure you that it will work with Futaba receivers. I have read reports that some Berg receivers, and others, do not work with it.

Berg pointed a finger at Futaba saying they needed to change something. Futaba pretty much said, 'it works with all of our current and old receivers so we don't see a problem on our end.'
Old 03-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Toker41

Actually, the new questions are good ones. I would like to learn more about it.
So a buddy of mine wants to sell me a Futaba Transmitter at what I believe to be a fair price. He says it's everything I want except it still has crystals. Isn't there a model that I could just program what ever channel I want so I could use it with more than one recieve even if they are on different channels? I didn't really put any thought into what servos I would need with this, or what kind of reciever. Is it better to buy the whole kit, or is this a good deal for just the transmitter at $75?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
carrellh

Based on the way I interpreted your first post, you do not want to buy the transmitter your friend has.

The only way to have one transmitter that can transmit on channel 20, 30, 40, and 50 (examples only) is to have one with RF modules or one that is synthesized. A transmitter with a regular crystal cannot be changed from channel to channel without being retuned each time.

Hitec Optic 6 and Eclipse 7 are available with synthesized RF module. The Optic has 8 model memory and the Eclipse has 7 model memory

Futaba 9C series is available with synthesized RF module. It comes with 18 model memory and memory modules are available to add more

Futaba 14MZ comes with synthesized RF module and has 30 model memory with flash cards available for more capacity.

Multiplex Royal Evo 9 is a synthesized transmitter with 20 model memories

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 also is a synthesized transmitter with 36 model memories

The Hitec, Futaba, and Multiplex units can be seen at http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-j.html

The Polk Tracker III has the synthesizer built in and it scans the selected channel before it starts transmitting. It has 99 model memory. Available through http://www.polkshobby.com/index1.html
I know 1 person who owns a Polk radio and he likes it a lot.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Toker41

Is there a TX that I can use with all my planes? One that I can program to memory the trim settings for each plane? Is there one that has a programable frequency (channel) so that I wouldn't have to have each plane on the same channel? I have 2 gas planes and 2 parkflyers already, and figure it makes more sense to buy one radio that will grow with my hobby instead of a new TX with every plane.
You may have 4 today but you may have 10 next year and 30 the year after that. So how many is all?

JR 9303 holds 30
Polk Tracker III holds 99
Futaba 9C is unlimited via memory cards

One of those should be enough, but most people find 6-10 adequate.

I can't imagine why you would want all your planes on differnet frequencies.

I have 19 planes and two computer radios as well as a 3 ch Standard radio. All but two are on 40. The other two are on 20 because that is the 3CH standard radio which is my travel radio. Both my Futaba 9C and my Prism 7X have synth modules available, but I have not had the need. I seem to be the only one in the club on 40.

If someone else came in wiht 40, then I might get an alternate channel but I would only use it when that person is there. Otherwise I would fly 40.

Benefits?

Everyone knows I am on 40, so there is an extra layer of protection. People will typically not buy a radio on a channel that a frequent flyer uses and I am there every week.

If you are on all different channels, then you own none of them and no one will respect your channel.

Probably 10 people have synth modules. Each of them fly on 1-2 channels 90% of the time.