Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Increasing 9Cap power output

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing 9Cap power output

I have recently purchased a Futaba 9Caps transmitter, and I would like to increase the power output of the transmitter to the legal limit. Being a licensed individual I am allowed to have a transmitter capable of outputting 1W on this band. This is far below what the 9caps comes from the factory with. Does anyone out there know how I can get this done?

Nmking09

I know that everyone who read the above is wanting to know why I want to do this, when currently the transmitter is capable of controlling planes beyond where I can see them. Well, the answer is, I want to control an aircraft far beyond where I can see it, and I want to lessen the chance that I will receive interference while I am doing this.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Krysta

Default RE: Increasing 9Cap power output

Hi Nmking09,

You may want to check with the FCC before trying to do this...all RC transmitters output by FCC law is not to be higher than 3/4 watt. We at Futaba are slightly below that level to keep our systems legal.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician

ORIGINAL: nmking09

I have recently purchased a Futaba 9Caps transmitter, and I would like to increase the power output of the transmitter to the legal limit. Being a licensed individual I am allowed to have a transmitter capable of outputting 1W on this band. This is far below what the 9caps comes from the factory with. Does anyone out there know how I can get this done?

Nmking09

I know that everyone who read the above is wanting to know why I want to do this, when currently the transmitter is capable of controlling planes beyond where I can see them. Well, the answer is, I want to control an aircraft far beyond where I can see it, and I want to lessen the chance that I will receive interference while I am doing this.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Nmking09

If you figure out how to to do this, I'm just glad you're in a different State from me...

There are enough problems with being shot down by someone flying or operating a tx too close to sanctioned fields without you having a tx capable of even more output. What about YOU causing interference for other modelers?

You ought to consider the possible liability concerns if the thing gets away from you and causes any kind of personal injury or property damage. I know several individuals who are now flying rather large "models" in foreign lands... and they have to try to obtain liability insurance as they've been told they can be held responsible for any damage that might be caused by the loss of the "model" which flies considerably beyond visual range...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Dizzy Pilots

If your a licensed individual then you should already know how to do it.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
jdb000001

Now just how do you propose to control this aircraft if you can't see it?

Note that this will be in violation of the AMA safety code also, so no AMA insurance.

Also, as you are licensed to do this, you should understand that you would have to substantially increase the power level (as in double the output power) to realize any real gain in reception range.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd be more worried about the FAA than the FCC
Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM
jdb000001

The FAA and the Department of Homeland Security
Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

You don't need to see an aircraft to fly it. As for how, I think I'll leave that up to yall to figure out.
Nmking09
Old 03-09-2006, 01:45 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need to see an aircraft to fly it. As for how, I think I'll leave that up to yall to figure out.
Nmking09

'Yall' demand an answer to your question (the answer to which you would already know if you were truly a "licensed individual" without responding to the question of why. Get real, no responsible person would ever contribute to an activity that can put our entire industry at risk.

John
Old 03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I don't know if the channel is narrow enough where a higher output would not cause an adjacent channel interference.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 AM
bipeflyr
My Feedback: (2)

This guy might be trying to fly by a camera installed in the plane.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:43 AM
broke_n_bummin

This guy might be trying to fly by a camera installed in the plane.

Military does it all the time as do I.
If my plane goes 15 feet, it's beyony my line of sight because I'm looking at the monitor.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
tkilwein

The power to distance is not a one to one ratio. I am also licensed and the fines are not worth the benifit. There are other
ways to go, you get a license for another freq band with a fcc license. Beings you have a license you can not claim stupidity
when they bust you. Increasing the output is not a legal way to go. Increasing the receiver sensitivity and tightening up the freq rejection-selection ranges are one way to go. Tuning to the exact tx freq and peaking on it will help some. Tuning the tx output to
the antenea impedance, for min SWR is another thing you could do. This could change over time due to the telescoping antenea
resistance between sections can change due to contamination of oil, dirt etc.
I have checked three of my tx's and they are close to spec. in both freq and power. I feel to peak to max input power is not needed.
Cleaning the antenea sections once in a while is a good thing to do.

Tony
Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please be aware that ALL R/C transmitters on the 72/75 MHz frequency bands require a Type Acceptance. It is not legal to alter the specifications of a Type Accepted unit without going through the Type Acceptance procedure or obtaining a Permissive Change. A Type Acceptance or Permissive change can only be obtained by the unit's manufacturer or their authorized representative. Being a "licensed" individual means nothing in this case.

I, too, am a "licensed" individual, holding an FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License, which means that I am authorized to perform operations, service, and repair upon a very wide range of transmitting equipment. It does not mean that I am authorized to alter the specifications of that equipment.

The 50 MHz band is another thing, entirely, being in the Amateur Radio Service. Those regulations govern what can be done with those transmitters.

The above information applies to U.S. users. People in other countries should consult their government's regulatory agency or ministry for the appropriate regulations.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

nmking09,

Aren't you the same guy who was asking about the possibility of relaying an RC signal over a satelite so he could control an RC plane over 2000 kilometers away? What are you up to? Whatever it is, it can't be good for the RC community.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:07 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The radio/reciever combo can easily extend over 1 mile. Whatever you might need to fly further than that is outside the hobby space.