Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba GY401 Gyro Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:16 AM
richclausen-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba GY401 Gyro Setup

Futaba GY401 Gyro Setup

Do you have any advice on the setup regarding the Futaba GY401 Gyro. My radio is the JR X378. I can use AVCS mode, but HH is just not there. if I input left/Right roll, the nose does not fix a heading (Piont in space), but rather a piont about 10m ahead of the hellie???? roll right = left nose yaw. I must always put in left tail rotor (Nose right).

Im flying on Mode 1 and the gyro is supposed to be selected hh (Heading Hold) or ACVS with the use of the Aux 2 switch. If I select HH the hellie pirrowets violently to the left (nose). AVCS is stable baring the nose tracking about 10m ahead. ANY sideways drift, and the nose turns?

I know hellies need input always, but this ir rediculous.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Richard Clausen
Hong Hong
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39498_20954.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	24620  
Old 12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
tdriver

hi there

to get HH-mode you must turn on the transmitter first,then the receiver!!! the led on the gyro after switching on tx and rx,should flash a few times and then be steady on (HH mode).remember not to give any rudder-stick moves until the led is steady.
the sensitivity (GAIN) at 100% will have highest sensitivity and HH will be on.(try it)
after the gyros led is steady,the tail rotor should have 0 pitch!!
anything else gives wrong movements.if not readjust the servo horn/push-rod. any revolution/acceleration -mix should be set at 0 or off with this gyro, even rudder trim one click to the right/left disables HH!!!

the setup for non HH mode is completely different than with a piezzo gyro. only the gain has to be lowered to get non HH.this can be done with dual rate(50%=HH at 1%).don't use the aux2 switch to disable HH,using the switch will need revolution/acceleration mix and different pitch setup on the tail rotor,and as i said if revolution/acceleration is used,the gyro will think you are giving rudder input all the time.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:13 AM
richclausen-delete

Default Richard Clausen / Tdriver

Hi T driver

Are you saying I must not flip the switch, or must I not use the Aux 2 switch at all?

You wrote:

the setup for non HH mode is completely different than with a piezzo gyro. only the gain has to be lowered to get non HH.this can be done with dual rate(50%=HH at 1%).don't use the aux2 switch to disable HH,using the switch will need revolution/acceleration mix and different pitch setup on the tail rotor,and as i said if revolution/acceleration is used,the gyro will think you are giving rudder input all the time.

Must I just go to the Gyro option on the TX and turn the sensitivity down? At the moment I have them now set at 80% & 20% respectively.

My TX rudder trim is zero.

Its a brand new hellie, and someone said to me that the drift may be because the rotor head speed is changing...its not, in fact I have never had a more consitant speed. Maybe the head speed is to fast or slow ? would this make the hellie drift whilst in HH?

Thanks again

Richard Clausen
(Hong Kong)

Name:	39803_20954.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24621  
Old 12-08-2002, 02:17 AM
richclausen-delete

Default Is this Gain ?

On the X-378 is thes Gain. Im inserting a picture. Im getting very confused. Dome say the gain is this (Picture) others say its the Travel function on the radio, others say its the D/R.

Please shed some light here.

Thanks

Richard Clausen
(Hong Kong)

Name:	39806_20954.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24622  
Old 12-08-2002, 08:34 AM
tdriver

Are you saying I must not flip the switch, or must I not use the Aux 2 switch at all?

yes.
i have the JR 3810 adt,and have disabled the aux2 switch,because the switch disables HH. if you have a setup for HH,then you can't have a second setup for non HH.but to have it work in non HH,adjust the gain from the dual rate switch.if you have the switch at O, off=100% than HH is on with 100% sensitivity,and on= 0% than you have it in non HH mode with 100% sensitivity.
the actual numbers for the dual rate,are from 80%-100% for full HH mode,and for non HH 60% - 70%.THE HH MODE IS STILL ENABLED.it's just that is so less, that it doesn't make a difference!!!!!

don't forget that revolution/acceleration mix must be off!!!!
and no trim adjustment.

Must I just go to the Gyro option on the TX and turn the sensitivity down? At the moment I have them now set at 80% & 20% respectively .

I don't know what exactly these functions are,if they are gain,dual rate or HH on-0ff switch, to do the tests set all to 100%.
if these options are for flight mode,n,1,2,set them to 100% too.

Its a brand new hellie, and someone said to me that the drift may be because the rotor head speed is changing...its not, in fact I have never had a more consitant speed.Maybe the head speed is to fast or slow ? would this make the hellie drift whilst in HH?

if the rotor speed is changing,it does a small but quick 1/8 yaw.but thats no drift.
a high or low speed don't drift the heli,it's only too sensitive/slow in cyclic (aileron,elevator) inputs. a low speed could make the heli yaw 1/8, from a fast full throttle opening.

On the X-378 is thes Gain. Im inserting a picture. Im getting very confused. Dome say the gain is this (Picture) others say its the Travel function on the radio, others say its the D/R.

the foto says "gy",so it is gain.
but i think that's gain for different flight modes,n,1,2.
the travel adjustment for the rudder should be set at 100% on the radio,and then fine tuned from the gyro's knob.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:09 AM
richclausen-delete

Default Richard Clausen

Thank you Tdriver

What you wrote makes good sense. I now cant wait to get out there once the weather clears up. (There is a NE Monsoon here today....Yuck)

Cheers my friend

Richard Clausen
(Hong Kong)
Old 12-10-2002, 03:08 AM
richclausen-delete

Default Richard Clausen

Hello all you budding aviators which have been helping me so muct with my GY401 Gyro.

After many hour of waiting for the rain to stop, I Have finaly mannaged to go test fly the hellie.

I put the ball on the servo arm at just under 18mm, & it works very well. The nose of the hellie in a steady hover in & out of ground efect, was drifting to the right????? Why?

Everyone was telling me DONT TRIM THE RUDDER TRIM AT ALL leave it at ZERO. Well I was flying with friend of mine who flew R/C Aeroplanes. He noticed the hellie's nose always drifting right & sugested left rudder trim. I said, " No the guys in the forum have advised not to do that."

Well then I thought as they taught us at work...Think outside the box. I did just that and put in 3 clicks if left digital rudder trim, and hey presto, she is now as ridged as an arrow.

In all manouvers she is just rock steady, I cant believe it...Thanks Carel Roussouw.

All you guys have been great

Thank you so much for all the valuable input.
Im not sure if you are intrested in Aviation (Fixed wing) at all. Just incase you are, have a look at Air New Zealands B767. She had an Engine failure, and here is the link to the pictures.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/vhrmm/nz767/index

Untill next time.

Richard Clausen
(Hong Kong)

Name:	40175_20954.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	24623  
Old 12-10-2002, 07:12 AM
tdriver

Default Re: Richard Clausen

Originally posted by richclausen
...Think outside the box. I did just that and put in 3 clicks if left digital rudder trim, and hey presto, she is now as ridged as an arrow.
good that it worked for you after all.even with rudder trim.
i tried to give some trim to mine,but the HH mode disabled itself after the first click. (the led wasn't steady on anymore.)

BTW.
interesting fotos!! I don't want to be in that plane when that happened!