Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Expert Radio / Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert Radio / Transmitter

Is anyone familiar with the Expert Radio / Transmitter... I know someone who has one and it is set up with Futaba Receivers, radio and switch in the G connector... He says that it is FM DC.... I have not looked at it but would like to know if the radio is a good safe radio and who sold it and when... I was not aware of any radio in the old Futaba G connector that was FM... Thanks...
Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Expert Radio / Transmitter

The World Engines Expert radio was made back in the 60s-80s. It's basically a good radio. The case is a little large, and it's a little heavy compared to our more modern units. If yours has the "battery check" push button switch, disable it. They tend to short out. I believe the battery pack is 9 cells, also. Or maybe it's 7, I don't remember, but it's an odd voltage. I had one of these radios way back when, and enjoyed it a lot.

Dr.1
Old 03-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Richard39

Sounds like a odd radio indeed... Do you remember if it was FM DC? also did it have the old G connectors? Thanks..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Waco Driver

The Expert was made by Hitec and marketed by World Engines and subsequently Indy R/C in the late 80's. It was a decent system with a solid r/f link, a dual conversion FM r/x, and is compatible with Futaba receivers. Early servos and r/x had Molex connectors (white) which were not compatible with other manufacturer's plugs. Later units had Futaba J compatible plugs. T/x used a 9 cell battery. I am still using several airborne Expert systems and I still use the Expert t/x for winter flying. I can scan the manual and send it to you as an attachment if you send me your email address.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Richard39

Waco Driver.... thanks for the good information... I have sent you a pm with my email.... My friend's radio has G connectors so I would think that was before the development of the J connector....
Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I don't think Futaba ever made a dc receiver with G connectors. It is probaly not a 91 reciever.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Richard39

I will check on that... What is a 91 receiver.... Is it possible that it is a Hitec receiver with the G connectors?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Dr1Driver

"1991-type accepted". That's when the odd channels were added and narrow band TX/dual conversion Rx came into being. Old radios that are "91" cannot be used. Most clubs will not allow them, and they are illegal unless they were updated back then. The FCC mandates they can no longer be updated. The whole RF section must be changed out. Old Tx that have been legally updated carry a gold rectangular sticker on the back of the Tx case. These radion as legal to use. Radios manufactured after 91 do not carry this sticker, but are also legal to use.

Dr.1
Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Richard39

Yes, you are right.... I have always just called them Gold Sticker... This one is Gold Sticker.... I will check it out Wednesday and see for sure what all is with it and why the G connectors... Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 AM
juanes1969

Guys I have an Expert radio system that a family member gave me, it was new, never used it, but the batteries went bad and messed up the radio inside. Do you know if there is someone that can fix it? I have the receiver and Tx, the batt charger and 4 or 5 servos. He lost the manual, but everything looks good except the Tx as explained above.
Any help is welcomed
John
Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Richard39

Juanes I have the Radio and 3 servos... just got it today in a swap with a friend... It works great and my friend only changed radios to move all of his airplanes to a Futaba 9C.... I do not know of anyone that works on these radios but you could check with "Radio South" ( I believe) My Expert Radio does indeed have the normal J connectors ( it had the small charger converted to G just for a switch as every thing else is normal Futaba J). I have the receiver also... If you are interested in my radio just let me know.... I will sell it very reasonable... It is channel 46, what frequency is your radio?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:42 AM
onepern

I had one got it new in 91 a 7ch Fm narrow band unaversal plugs still use the servos to day they plug into my futaba j plug receiver you just have to make sure it is the right way around as the plug will go in ether direction