Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie's best radio system choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
arboesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie's best radio system choice

I'm making the jump out of the Parkzone flyers and into the 'real' plane world. I've never flown ailerons before. I'm on a limited budget and thinking about the E-starter for my first aileron plane. My problem is the radios are confusing...what goes with what, who has the best, do I need to start with 'dual rate'? I'm thinking of just a 4 channel system. Should I buy the transmitter only and then get a flight pack (gws) or should I get a 'combo' of transmitter, receiver and 3 micro servos? Help!!!! AB
Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Newbie's best radio system choice

Most of the lower priced units are not available as transmitter only.

All of the major brands offer excellent quality so “best” comes down to getting what fits your needs rather than going for brand X over Y.

As far as dual rates, none of the 4 channel units I found through Tower or Horizon have them.

The Futaba 4EXA is a 4 channel computer transmitter available with micro receiver and 3 micro servos for about $140. This transmitter can store settings for 4 models in memory. You could buy flight packs for 3 more planes and use 1 transmitter to control all of them.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKSB5**&P=0

The Futaba 4YF is about $100 with 2 micro servos. A 3rd servo adds about $15. You save $25 but give up a few nice features.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAE8**&P=0

Hitec, Airtronics, JR, and GWS all have good offerings at similar prices. Prices vary based on what receiver, servos, and batteries are either included or excluded. I chose Futaba for myself mostly for compatibility with my instructor’s equipment. All of the major brands are in use by our club members and they all work great.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Newbie's best radio system choice

IMO, you can't go wrong with the Hitec Flash 4X or 5X. There's a lot of bang for the buck there. It's reasonably priced and has a lot of computer features. I believe they're even offered in electric configurations.

Dr.1