Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flaperons Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 01:51 AM
flyboy2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons Don't Work

I have a Futaba TXAS, which I have attempted to program for flaperon function. I've read the manual several times and everything seems to be hookedup right i.e. CH1 to right wing servo CH6 to left wing servo. When I flip the flaperon switch nothing happens. Neither aileron moves up or down. What am I not doing correctly?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:13 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

I've only played with this on the bench, but the flaps only work by turning the CH6 knob.

When you mention flipping the switch are you talking about the one for elevator to flap mixing?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:34 AM
toyking23
My Feedback: (4)

I had the same problem. I went to the Futaba home page, there is a FAQ section. Here is what I copied from there for my radio. Hope it helps.

8U Radio System FAQ

I am a little confused with how to set up the flaperons on my 8U so they will act as both flaps and ailerons. Can you explain how to set it up for both a 5-channel and a 7- or 8-channel receiver?
Sure! Before anything else, lets understand the AIL2 function in the Parameters menu. ALL this function does is allow you to change what CAN be the second aileron servo's control from 6 or 7 -- normal for flaperon or aileron differential -- to 5&6 — used only when you are using a 5-channel receiver. This function DOES NOT turn on twin aileron servos.
To "turn on" twin aileron servos, you need to decide if you want to use flaperon or aileron differential. Flaperon uses channel 6 for the second servo and lets you operate the two aileron servos in unison as flaps; aileron differential uses channel 7 for the second aileron channel and does NOT allow flap action from the twin aileron servos. The rest of this FAQ helps you to set up and to use flaperon.
First, is your receiver 5 channels, or 6+?
If 5 channels:
___ Press the 2 basic menu buttons.
___ Arrow up or down until you get to PARA (parameters).
___ Cursor over until you get to AIL2. The screen is blinking 6 or 7.
___ Press the minus key to change this to 5&6. This will now allow flaperons to use channel 5.
___ Press the 2 basic menu keys to close the menu. Continue below.
For 6+ channel receivers or 5 channels after steps above:
___ Press the 2 advanced menu keys to enter the basic menu.
___ Arrow up until you get to flaperon. INH is blinking. Press the + key to change to OFF or ON.
___ Try your aileron stick. Do the servos move properly? If not, go to servo reversing and reverse the backward servo and come back here.
___ Press the + key and move your aileron stick the right. The right +100 is blinking. Move it left to make the left side blink. Adjust the aileron (and flap by cursoring over) travel endpoints here if desired.
Now that your ailerons work as ailerons, lets get the flap portion of your flaperons functioning as well.
Do you want to operate your flaps from the knob? or from a switch? or would you like to operate the knob as solely a flap trim (its intended function) and then operate full flaps from a switch?
To operate the flap trimming knob:
___ Press the up arrow to go to FLPTRM (flap trim). This is where you determine how much throw your flaperons will have when acting from the flap knob ONLY. Set the desired percentage. Turn the flap dial to the left and right to see the flaps drop this prescribed distance.
To operate the flaps from a switch:
You can use airbrake function, which will also give you elevator response as well automatically if you desire.
___ Press the advanced menu buttons.
___ Arrow up until you reach ABRAKE
___ Press + to activate it
___ Arrow over once, and adjust the desired throw of the aileron servo
___ Arrow over once, and adjust the desired flap servo throw
___ Arrow over once, and adjust the desired elevator throw (set to 0 if no elevator response desired)
___ arrow over once, and set a delay, if desired, to drop the airbrakes more slowly
___ Arrow over once. The stock setting is switch C, manual response. If desired, you can set it to respond to switch C AND to be progressively responsive per throttle stick movement by pressing + when MANU is blinking and then put the throttle in the desired position and press the +/- keys together to set the position.
Another way to operate flaps from a switch, or to give a second switch setting for a different amount of flaps:
___ From the advanced menu, arrow up until you reach an available PMIX (one which says INH in the upper left)
___ Press + to make it active
___ Arrow over once
___ Press + key until master channel says OFS (for offset)
___ Arrow over once
___ Press + key until second channel says FLP
___ Arrow over once
___ Press the + key until the desired % of flap is set
___ Arrow over
___ Leave link off
___ Arrow over
___ Set the desired switch
___ Arrow over
___ Set the desired switch position
That's it!
Old 01-28-2002, 02:41 AM
flyboy2
My Feedback: (1)

flatfour, I'm referring to the switch on the top right side of my radio marked as ELE-FLP. Is this elevator to flap mixing and has nothing to do with the flaperon function? I incorrectly thought when I flipped this switch the flaperons would work(ailerons and elevator would go down). You mentioned the CH6 knob is how the flaps work. Do you mean the CH6 Flap Trim knob next to the ELE D/R switch? I thought this was only to trim the flaps and didn't realize this is how the flaps are engaged. Is this correct?
Old 01-28-2002, 03:05 AM
DK64

yes, a friend of mine has the same radio as yours and the flaperons work by using the flap trim knob. although, you may be able to use a mix from channel 6 to a switch then use the knob just as you said (as a flap trim knob) and when the switch is flipped it will give you full flap travel. sorry,I can't tell you how to do it because I myself use JR and not Futaba.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:19 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

I am doing this right now as I type.
Radio 6XAS

With the radio in a "factory default" condition.
Aileron stick moves CH1
Flap trim knob moves CH6
Combinations of switches have no effect.

Change FLPR function from INH to ON
Aileron stick moves 1 and 6
Flap trim knob does nothing
Switches have no effect

Next change FLTR function from INH to ON
Aileron stick still moves 1 and 6
Flap trim knob moves both 1 and 6
+/- reverses action of flap knob
% controls total flap movement

Swtich ABRK function from INH to OFF
Airbrake switch now controls flaps and elevator
Flap trim knob still moves 1 and 6
You can set airbrake percentages for flaps and elevator
seperately.

Change 6 arrow 2 function from INH to ON
Flap trim knob now moves 1 and 6 along with 2
Function set to INH after this test.

Change 2 arrow 6 function from INH to OFF
ELE > FLP switch on top right now active.
When switch is on flaperons respond to elevator stick
Function left enabled, but switch turned off.

I also have a 7U super and seem to remember
a mix to set flap action to the throttle position.

If I understand what you want to do, it looks like the airbrake switch will get you the results.

Jim in Chicagoland