Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14Mz Upgrade file

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 14Mz Upgrade file

Can someone send me the latest Futaba 14Mz upgrade file. I cannot find it anywhere on the Futaba 14Mz site. Also I asked futaba about joining the Futaba users group and was politly told that it is for US residents ONLY. I know we are way way "Down Under" but surely if I have just paid A$3150 for a top of the line radio I should be entitled to top of the line manufactuers support.
Can anyone help??.

regards

Old 04-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Gigaah

Default RE: Futaba 14Mz Upgrade file

There is a Futaba radio support section under this forum. I'm sure they can address your question.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM
TommyWatson

Yes they did, basicly they told me in a very nice way that because i did not buy my 14MZ in the USA, I could not get access to the User group or the Upgrade file. I am going over to the Australian Futaba distributor today (to get a new RX, Mine wont change frequencies), I will ask them if they provide any support (I doubt it).

I cannot see why Futaba wont offer the same level of suport to Futaba owners in the rest of the world.

Has anyone from Europe or the UK tried to access the Futaba users group, Any luck??.

I am really excited with my 14MZ it does some great things (Probably wont make me fly any better) and I would just like to be included in the 14MZ comunity.

Regards

Old 04-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

I know this will sound like semantics, and perhaps it is, however, the 14MZ Flyers Club site is owned and operated by Hobbico, Inc. It is paid for and maintained by them as a service to their customers in North America. The power of the internet makes it able to be seen around the globe, but it is still a value added service for Hobbico customers in North America. Futaba really has nothing to do with it.

Having said that, I am amazed that Futaba itself does not have a world wide accessible website that provides support for users outside North America. But then again, does JR or Airtronics, or Multiplex have anything like that either??

It does seem like something that could and should be done. If for no other reason than to be able to get updates as they become available.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 PM
TommyWatson

I totally agree.
I am very dissapointed with Futaba. I have got all of my other 9VAP, 9ZAP, and many other older models form US sources (Tower or Radio South). I then get a local module.
I seems that futaba is determined to stop this by making the radios country specific and protecting the local distributors. This is an admirable aim, but if the local distributor cannot give us the levle of support we expect and deserve for a A$3500 radio, then perhaps Futaba should take over and do something about it.

I don't blame the local Futaba guys, they are nice blokes, but they spread their time between various models of radio and all the other hobby stuff they sell.

Also each local market is small when compared to the USA.

I am very angry at the moment, perhaps this will subside after I play with my new radio a bit more..

Regards

Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

As one who worked over 30 years for an intenational corporation with service and support requirements worldwide, I have read this thread with more than a little interest. I own Futaba and have for years. I just looked at one of my Tx and it doesn't say "Futuba - North America" and I would doubt that Tommy's says "Futuba - Australia". I would venture to say "Futuba" is probably a Trademark registered worldwide. And I would venture to say they will probably take legal action against anyone who would try to infringe on thier Trademark anywhere in the world. Given they use and sell their trademark/product worldwide, I think it would be reasonable to expect they would service and support their product worldwide. And in today's internet world, from personal experience, the cost is really insignificant. Now they will probably tell you they do, thru thier distributors. And hopefully, the Austrailian Distributor will give Tommy excellent service and he will get his software upgraded. Now, maybe I'm just an old dinosaur who's time has past, but I think if you are going to use and protect the Trademark worldwide, you should support it worldwide.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 AM
TommyWatson

HI Heaterman,

They do offer support here in Australia, However it is not and can never be as good as what is available in the USA. First of all the total ownership of 14mz's here would be less than 50. The Futaba importer is called Toy Traders. They are an excelent company and try very hard to do the right thing, but there is only one technician here in Sydney and he cannot possibly know all the in's and out's of these radios.

The hobbico forum is excelent and should be congratulated, and I understand that they may not like to make it world wide. But surely there can be some way owners of these expensive and complicated radios can get access.

I have since discovered a heli site that has a 14Mz forum which is good.
I also discovered that Cyberheli in Hong Kong sells a RF module that can access ALL the frequencies used all over the world. I am sure Futaba wont like that. And I am equally sure they will tell me that it will destroy my transmitter. We will see.!!!

Regards

Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 AM
tetsa

Hello Tommy,

I also tried to apply for membership at the 14mz forum. I also received a very polite email that said something in the effect of:"unfortunately, since you didn't buy your multi-thousand-dollar radio from us, we are unable to grant you access".

Bollocks. (As, I believe, they say in Britain)

I feel it would be vital to have one (or more) open-to-all 14mz user -forum, were people can swap ideas and tips about how to use this great tool. I probably would need the forum more than others, since I frequently seem to be needing tutoring and quidance in terms of programming any radio...

Tero, Finland

Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

It seems that Futaba's business model is to leave post sale support to the various importers/distributors around the world. Here in the US we have Hobbico who works very hard to service its large customer base. It is unfortunate that others around the globe do not enjoy the same level of support. I do think it is unfair to hold Hobbico responsible or to criticize them for only allowing their customers access to their site. Many other companies that I deal with in my work do the same thing.

But I do agree, as I stated above, that especially with the advent of the 14MZ and its ability to be updated, that Futaba Corporation should give strong consideration to how it plans to service its customer base
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Does any one know the model number of the substitute battery for the 14MZ TX...its supposed to be about the half the cost of Futaba batteries
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

Sony NP-F570 2,200 mAh pack.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 PM
vintageflyer

Really, How hard would it be for Hobbico to grant access for these guys???
If it helps the sales internationally, wouldn't they benifit from that as well?
I really dont understand why manufactures would spend a great deal of money to produce a product and then fail to organize ample funds for customer support for that said product.

DM
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: vintageflyer

Really, How hard would it be for Hobbico to grant access for these guys???
If it helps the sales internationally, wouldn't they benifit from that as well?
I really dont understand why manufactures would spend a great deal of money to produce a product and then fail to organize ample funds for customer support for that said product.

DM
Well, Hobbico does not make Futaba, they are only the North American Distributor for Futaba. I know with the Internet it has shrunk the world, but really, do you expect a company to provide worldwide support when they only market and sell in North America?? I guess you could argue that Tower sells internationally, so perhaps they should support the radios they have sold outside North America.

But I agree, I think this should NOT be a function of a distributor, it should be done by Futaba itself, or at the very least Futaba should have an agreement with all their distributors to provide support.

As it is Hobbico personnel (Bax and Krysta) spend a great deal of time answering questions here on RCU, and they rarely ask where you are writing from. They do however restrict their answers to products that they sell.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike check out Fromeco for battery they have designed a good system.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Try our British Friends at Ripmax:

http://www.ripmax.com/software_upgrade_14mz.asp

Fritz
Old 02-28-2007, 01:58 AM
vintageflyer