Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Selecting a 6 CH radio, Which one??

Old 05-05-2006, 10:35 PM
1480dwd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting a 6 CH radio, Which one??

I would like to buy a 6 CH radio but I am unsure of which brand and which model is the best.

I am flying both nitro and e-flyers. Money is no object.

I really like the Optic 6 by Hitec being able to switch freq. when ever you want, but it kinda looks like a cheap, not well built radio.

I also like JR radios, they look better built. And Futaba has its name to back it up. But I don't know much of anything about any of them. I am a certifed NEWBEE.

Could someone please give me a little insite, a little advise, a little wisdom, a little knowledge.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:10 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Selecting a 6 CH radio, Which one??

Pretty much all of the major brands are equal quality. Here are the ones I can think of in a few seconds.
Hitec.............Futaba...........Airtronics
JR.............Polks Hobbies........Multiplex

Now, you say money is no object. If that's the case, you might as well blow off these "toys" and buy the latest and greatest whiz bang 10 to 14 channel unit. The Futaba 14MZ is probably the 'be all / end all' of RC transmitters as of today. It will set you back around $2300 but you're not likely to outgrow it.

Seriously though, any of the major brands that has the features you want will last a long time and likely will not give you any problems. If you'll be in an RC club and working with an instructor, getting something compatible withe his equipment would be a good idea.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Tequesta

Go to the field or the hobby shop and give all the different tx a try. I like the feel of the optic 6, Polk and the Jr Tx. I fly with a neck strap so balance is important to me. What ever you get, make sure you thoroughly go over it ie: range check battery life... It is not hard to find something bad about any radio, so search with a grain of salt. I sugest to buy something you can grow into. Like the optic 6, Futaba's super 6, or 9c better, or the polk tracker 3. Personally I think the futaba looks cheaper than the Hitec optic 6, and the tracker 3 is just ugly but a great value.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:02 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

If money is no object and you want a nice radio you can use for a long long time, look at the JR 9303. At Chief Aircraft you can get one with a synthesized TX module and a synthesized RX and 4 x 811 digital sport servos for $599.

If you want a quality radio for very little money and you don't need any more RXs or servos, you can do like I did... I bought a JR 8103 for $369 from Chief (free shipping) and I sold all the stuff that comes with it for $200... so I got an 8 channel radio with curved mixes, 10 models, 3 aircraft types, etc... for $169. Can't beat it anywhere.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:44 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

For a certified newbie, 6 channel radio is a good way to expand without too many switches to worry about.

The JR 6102 is a 6-channel radio that is versatile and easy to program. I have a 7-channel version of that, and it has fulfilled all my needs. This 6-channel is especially awesome, because the channels are flexibly assigned. For example, an aerobatic plane that needs 2 aileron channels and 2 split elevator channels but no retract, the 2nd aileron uses the flap channel and the 2nd elevator can use the gear channel. The switches are custom assignable too.

One thing to keep in mind is that nowadays the trend is to add flight packs and using just the same transmitter. So the quality and cost of available flight pack is a consideration factor. JR has quality.

Futaba 6EXAS will work too. It's just not as nice to program. Futaba's flight packs seem to be decent too.

But the Hitec Optic's scan frequency is really nice. It also comes with Karbonite servos, which is much less slop (free play) than the standard servos that JR or Futaba provides.

JR needs to go to $330 7-channel to get scan select feature:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP7612

Futaba you are looking at $500 9-channel system that offers this feature.

I would recommend the Optic 6 even though I have no experience with it. After flying for a while, the transmitter appearance don't matter anymore. What matters are functionality.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
YakPak

Guys,

I am thinking about buying a Futaba super 9 channel radio. However I do not understand the difference between FM and PCM. Could someone give me hand?
Thanks
YakPak
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: YakPak

Guys,

I am thinking about buying a Futaba super 9 channel radio. However I do not understand the difference between FM and PCM. Could someone give me hand?
Thanks
YakPak
The Futaba 9C can tranmsit in both FM/PPM and FM/PCM.

Different encoding methods to deliver the signal. PCM has a fail safe setting that will set the controls to a predetermined position if you lose signal. PCM receivers tend to be larger and heavier than FM/PPM receivers. FM/PCM is brand specific. FM/PPM is not.

Can't tell you much more than that.

9C Super can do both but if you want to use FM/PCM, you have to buy a Futaba PCM receiver that will specifically work with the 9C.

If you go FM/PPM You can use many brands of receivers. I have a 9C and I use all Hitec receivers.