Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9ZAP PROGRAMING MADE SIMPLE????

Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 AM
dmparri
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9ZAP PROGRAMING MADE SIMPLE????

Are there any sources out there that offer a simple programing guide for the 9Z? The manual must have been written by Futaba engineers assuming the user knows a fair amount about set-up to begin with. Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 9ZAP PROGRAMING MADE SIMPLE????

Well I can sympathize with you...

I just went through this last November and about the third day into trying to figure out how to accomplish triple rates for my Funtana left me ready to chuck the thing I was so frustrated.

I can offer you a few tidbits, but I was not able to find any kind of aftermarket book like you can for the 9C.

The Futaba website FAQ is your friend and a great place to go after giving the manual a brief run through. Don't get too hung up on trying to understand everything completely at first, or get all your questions answered the first time through either. You'll be back to it frequently as you get to understand the radio better.

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9z.html

You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you'll memorize a few of the abbreviations right off the bat and you'll learn to recognize others as you get used to the radio. Conditions are your friend, don't be afraid to use them. When you get close on a model, copy it to a blank slot so as you continue to make changes you won't completely screw it up and not have a copy, but that's not bad advice for any radio.

Don't let it get to you like it almost did to me, ask questions here, there are some people here who know that 9Z really well.

It's a great radio and will do so many things you won't believe it. Once you get the basics figured out and can speak reasonably good Futaba acronym, it's pretty easy to setup a new model or make changes...
Old 05-13-2006, 01:00 PM
stek79

A wonderful tutorial, albeit not know to many, is available on futaba web site:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/futz8592-9z-manual.pdf

It covers some basic settings plus some very complicated setups! You'll be amazed about what can be done with this radio.

If you have some particular question, just ask, I've played with the 9Z a bit...perhaps we can start a 9Z programming thread
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 AM
LSP972

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Zeeb said, what you seek is not available; except for the tuorial stek mentioned.

Don Edberg was alledgely going to do a comprehensive "how-to" for the 9Z, but I guess he never got around to it.

As Zeeb said, do not try to absorb everything at once. This is a complex radio; I've been using one for four years now and am still learning things.

Now that it is "gone" (production actually ceased in 2004), the pool of knowledgeable 9Z users is shrinking rapidly, as guys go to the newer technology. As these guys spend more time with their new radio, they will remember less about the 9Z. IOW, you need to gather as much information as you can now, while the 9Z is still relatively common. In another couple of years, only die-hard hold-outs like me will still be using the thing. I just bought another one NIB, so I basically thumbed my nose at the new technology (and scandalous pricing).

I have nothing against new technology; but the 9Z does far more than I can effectively utilize, and I've gotten very comfortable with the interface. Also, the 9Z has a good track record in terms on longevity; I'm betting that, between the two I now own, and given the twenty or so years of flying time left to me, I won't need to buy another radio... ever.

Of course, there is always a silver lining... we'll get a break from the perennial "9Z or 10X?" posts... at least until JR eventually comes out with something to challenge the 12Z and/or 14MZ.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
dmparri

Thanks guys I appreciate the info but I'm thinking about selling it ( let me know if you're interested and it does have a few upgrades )
The 9C Super may be more my speed
Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM
LSP972

Upgrades?????

Such as?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
dmparri

I upgraded the batt pak to a 2500mah NIMH from NoBS or Hangtime hobbies and isn't the FP-TK-FSS module something out of the ordinay?
I bought from a Heli guy ( it's actually a 9ZHP ) I've known a long time because he went to the 14MZ. He bought it new 11/17/99 for 1500.00 ( have all receipts ) and sold it to me for 600.00 last summer I'd take less or maybe work out a trade for a 9C super.
Dave Parrish
Old 05-19-2006, 07:12 PM
LSP972

Okay; better battery and synthesized module. I'm with you. I've got that battery myself...

Sorry, I have two of these radios. But you should have no trouble selling it.