Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Metal Servo Gears Wearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 11:55 PM
ptarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Servo Gears Wearing

I read on Hitec's site that although metal gears a much stronger, and less prone to stripping, they do wear down and create "slop" inside the servo quicker than plastic gears. Does anybody have trouble with metal gears wearing down? How long does it take(with regular use). Just curious how often I should check them. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:21 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Metal Servo Gears Wearing

Originally posted by ptarp
I read on Hitec's site that although metal gears a much stronger, and less prone to stripping, they do wear down and create "slop" inside the servo quicker than plastic gears. Does anybody have trouble with metal gears wearing down? How long does it take(with regular use). Just curious how often I should check them. Thanks.
That's one of the drawbacks of metal gears. I stopped using metal gears for that reason and that is why JR came out with a different version of the 8411, I think the 8411A with plastic gears
Old 12-23-2002, 07:53 AM
ptarp

Hmmm....I am leary to use non-metal gear servos(even if they are high-torque) on surfaces with extreme throws b/c I have seen two great planes go down at my field because of stripped servos. Are the helical(spelling?) gears good, or is that a fancy name for plastic?
Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

if you don't like the metal gears use the coreless servos they work alot better and last longer,depending on your application.I have been using the Hitec 605's and 645's for years and am on second and third season with ones I have now and will have to replace the 2 that are on my flaps for my Ziroli p-47.They are getting sloppy.I will replace them with coreless.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by fryfly
if you don't like the metal gears use the coreless servos they work alot better and last longer,depending on your application.I have been using the Hitec 605's and 645's for years and am on second and third season with ones I have now and will have to replace the 2 that are on my flaps for my Ziroli p-47.They are getting sloppy.I will replace them with coreless.
I'm I missing something here, what does Coreless have to do with sloppy gears, metal gears or plastic gears?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:38 PM
fryfly

the new mp gear in the coreless servo according to Hitec is GUARANTEED unbreakable.the mp gear helps with lash on the gear train which ultimately reduces wear and sloppiness in the gear itself.My buddy has started using them in his giant aircraft and they are holding up considerably better than the standard metal gear 605's and 645's that we have been using for the last 3 years. If you go to this site it will explain the workings of the coreless servos I am talking about.These servos are within the price range that most modelers can afford without going digital, I believe they are a good deal

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/MPgear.htm
Old 12-23-2002, 01:45 PM
fryfly

hey aerografixs before you jump me about the 645's not bieng around for three years I know that,but all they are is the old 615's in a new package with a new name so essentially/basically they are the same.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Forgues Research

hey aerografixs before you jump me about the 645's not bieng around for three years I know that,but all they are is the old 615's in a new package with a new name so essentially/basically they are the same.
Jump you????

Not me, I didn't know about the 645's, besides I don't use Hitec. But now that Hitec bought out Multiplex, we will have to have mutual respect
Old 12-23-2002, 02:26 PM
fryfly

didn't mean anything bad on that remark I just thought I better catch myself on the statement before someone else did.Sorry! Are you using the Multiplex stuff? How is it?
Old 12-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Forgues Research

didn't mean anything bad on that remark I just thought I better catch myself on the statement before someone else did.Sorry! Are you using the Multiplex stuff? How is it?
Yes I have been using Multiplex for over 20 years.

Very hard for me to change, I can't find anything else that I would like. Not saying the others aren't any good, just that, well, not for me.

I use the TX MC 4000 with all IPD receivers and all digital servos.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:51 PM
fryfly

thank you,I just might have to try the stuff especially now that Multiplex and Hitec are one,I have often thought about using the Multiplex line as they look, according to specs the same if not better in some applications as Hitec.Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

But now that Hitec bought out Multiplex, we will have to have mutual respect

This is the first I heard of that merger. When did it happen and does anybody know if both brands will remain?

Wiz
Old 12-23-2002, 04:09 PM
ptarp

Hey guys, I just cheked out the servos I just bought, two HS-625MG and they too are using the "new" MP gear system. It looks as though the gear is metal with a plastic coating to reduce wear. I guess its not just their coreless models. Hopefully this will help reduce wear
Old 12-23-2002, 06:13 PM
fryfly

correct that is exactly what the mp gear is suppose to do but I didn't know that the other servos had that also,I thought only the coreless were using them. BONUS !!! sounds like a little extra protection for the standard servo's as well. Thanks for the info, greately appreciated!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:15 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Mike Wiz

This is the first I heard of that merger. When did it happen and does anybody know if both brands will remain?

Wiz
Mike,
There are quite a few threads on the subject, here is one;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...883&forumid=27]