Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode 1 or mode 2?

Old 12-26-2002, 01:11 AM
Dave_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 or mode 2?

I have never flown and need to choose a mode to learn. Some people have said it'll be hard to change once you've mastered a certain mode. I want to start off on the right foot and use the best mode suitable for me.

I am right handed. Have done a lot of stick flying with MS flight sim using a joystick, with throttle controlled by left paw. I practice with FMS using 2 joysticks (haven't got a radio yet) and swap between mode 1 & 2.

I'm leaning towards mode 2, with FMS it just seems easier/more logical to work the throttle on its own stick (assuming little rudder use), and elevator/ailerons on the other. FMS being only a simulator and a free one at that, is it good enough to learn on? or will it just teach me bad habits?

In Australia 90% use mode 1, therefore easier being a student/teacher. So I'm left with the dilemma of 'to go or not to go with the herd', what should I do?

Merry Xmas
Dave
Old 12-26-2002, 06:42 AM
Mayur

Dave,
I suggest Mode 1 since most fliers are flying on that mode. Theres nothing as easy or difficult in either of the modes, its just a matter of getting used to it...
Old 12-26-2002, 08:38 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use which ever mode feels best for you.
80:20 mode 1 rule appears to apply in Australia, NZ, UK, Asia. I believe many of those who started with a simple 2 channel set with cars, boats or slopers/gliders which have split stick graduated up to four plus channels retaining the elevator on the left and primary turn control on the right.
USA is the opposite and 80:20 still applies but with most on mode 2. Same as driving on the left, neither is perfect and is what feels most natural to you and for the USA market the single stick mode 2 TX was reintroduced by Hitec and then Futaba.
If you choose the popular Hitec computer series (Laser, Flash 4 or 5X or 7ch Eclipse), your instructor can use either a computer Hitec or Futaba transmitter because the inbuilt programme compensates for either mode. I use an Eclipse to teach students on either mode 1 or 2 without any problems.
regards
Alan T.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:29 AM
digger.10

This same topic was discussed a few weeks ago in the beginner forum here , some interesting points on the topic were raised..
Old 12-26-2002, 02:34 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are good fliers as well as bad fliers flying either mode. Go with the majority i.e. mode 1 in your case. After that decision is made, the rest is practice, practice, practice...........
Old 12-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I fly mode 2 because it is popular in the USA. I think mode 1 is better for precision flying because you have the aileron in the left hand and the rudder and elevator in the other.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Mayur
Dave,
I suggest Mode 1 since most fliers are flying on that mode. Theres nothing as easy or difficult in either of the modes, its just a matter of getting used to it...
Most flyers use Mode 1 ?? where are you from.

I love Mode 1, but I fly mode 2, its a question of choice, but to say that most flyers are on MODE 1 ......
Old 12-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Gary Retterbush

Originally posted by Geistware
(snip)
I think mode 1 is better for precision flying because you have the aileron in the left hand and the rudder and elevator in the other.
Now you tell me!! No wonder all us fighter pilots have trouble flying precision manuevers!

Just joking of course.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:22 AM
FrancisG

Default Go Mode 1

I suggest going with Mode 1 for two reasons. The first is most of the people in your area fly that mode and you will get more and quicker help. Second, Mode 1 feels more natural when flying precision. I can say this for a fact because I used to fly Mode 1. I switched to Mode 2 because most of my friends here in WA State fly that mode and I wanted to be able to share my airplanes with my friends as well as fly theirs.
- Francis
Old 12-27-2002, 10:25 AM
Dave_M

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I'll be going with the flow and learning with mode 1. Now I just need to get that Debonair finished!

cheers
Dave
Old 12-27-2002, 10:38 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think positive Dave. You'll be Cruisin'Dave rather than Crashin'Dave pretty soon !
Old 12-28-2002, 06:12 AM
Mayur

Roger,
I said that based on Dave's first post. He is from Aus & according to his post 90% of the people fly mode 1 there!
cheers,
Mayur
Old 12-29-2002, 03:38 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if I had it to do over again I would choose Mode 3. It is mode 1 backwards. The gimbals are the same as Mode 2 but the controls are throttle/ailerons on the left and the rudder/elevator on the right.

Ivan Christiansen flys mode 3 and if he wants to fly a futaba airplane that is setup for mode 2 he just pushed a couple of buttons and it was changed to mode3.