Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Throw problem on dual flap servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw problem on dual flap servos

The torque rod flap installation on my FK sucks - too much slop (could be my fault). To correct I tossed two servos into the wing. I'm using a Y connector to join them, and this is a great set up, except for one thing: the splines on the servos are out of sync just slightly, so when the control arms move, one flap is extended about 1/8" lower than the other because of the slightly different arm movement.

Is there any way to get these two servos perfectly synchronized?

I'm using a JR9303 with DS811 servos for the flaps. I've tried to see if I could figure out a way to set up the servos on separate channels so I could adjust them individually, but could not figure out a way to do this. Is there a mechanical way to get these servos aligned perfectly?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
RVM

Default RE: Throw problem on dual flap servos

Hmm cool I got the flaps on separate channels (5 & 6), now I just gotta figure out how to get the throws straightened out. I'd prefer to do this mechanically but oh well. Let me see if I can get all this done before my battery dies. I need a Li Ion tx battery. :/
Old 07-08-2006, 01:38 AM
RVM

Ok, I got it all working, but there is still a problem. No matter how I set the start and end points for the servos, the middle throw is WAY off between the two flaps, by about 1/2" - 3/4". Even if I get the full up and full down positions perfectly even, the middle position is always wayyy off. I thought it might be the control horns not being in the same spot as its counterpart on the other flap, so I checked them and one was off a bit. I ripped the horn off and repositioned it (a pain in the ass, considering I have built-up flaps and the horns are mounted inside the flaps). They are still just as far off as they were earlier.

Any ideas here? My linkage geometry seems correct. The servos seem correct both in the computer and with the horns installed. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:18 AM
sandal

Hi RVM,
I have two suggestions.

1) expo. Use expo to raise or lower the "midrange" of one of the channels. The end points will remain the same.

OR,

2) curve. Mix the slave flap channel using a curve instead of a percentage of the master channel. Then you can set each point of the curve manually, and make the throw equal to the master channel.

Both suggestions are probably a shot in the dark, but it might improve things slightly... Another solution could be to leave it as it is, and program an offset mix on the aileron channels, to sort out any trim changes when flaps are used.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Try asking "Danny At JR", in the sub-forum of radio,transmitters, etc, forum..am sure he can resolve your problems.....
Old 07-08-2006, 12:44 PM
RVM

Hmm, did not know I could adjust the throws on a curve. I thought that feature was only on the throttle. Let me go ask Danny. Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:53 PM
RVM

New thread here.