Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode 3 Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
rctestpilot1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 3 Radio?

I'm looking to change to mode 3 flying and I was wondering if anyone has experience in this area with regards to the JR10X or Futaba Z series? I know the discontinued 9Z was able to be stick programmed but I'm not sure about the new 12Z or 14Z.

Thanks

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Default RE: Mode 3 Radio?

The 10X can only be changed to Mode 1 or Mode 2. Modes 3 & 4 are a possibility but the trim displays are the wrong way round and CANNOT be changed.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:48 AM
negy1

z12 or z14 mode selectable you just have to buy eather throtle on the right or left stick you then can assigne trims and chanels t o yuo preferences
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I may ask...why mode 3? Any specific reason? I am a Mode 1 flyer...but when I fly helicopters I switch to mode 3...so I can have the cyclic on one stick...and the throttle on my right hand.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 AM
negy1

the reson i fly that mode 4 im led to believe throt ail left stick el ruder right stick is i leant to fly by miself in the 70s itryed to change but the memory bank was implanted by then but the only problem is is when i teach others to fly other modes that when the 12z shines
Old 09-30-2006, 08:24 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Ragz
If I may ask...why mode 3? Any specific reason?
Maybe he's left-handed and that mode is more comfortable. That's my reason.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:35 AM
negy1

no i am right handed to late to change modes after 35 years catch yu
Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR calls a left handed set up Mode3. I have been flying that mode for years and they convert it for me when I buy a new ardio at no extra charge. I know the 8103 and 9303 can be changed since I own them. The older PCM 10 with all manual trims can be changed, but I understand that there is no room to mode the trims to opposite sides. One solution to having elevator on the left and throttle on the right is to go to crossed trims with the elevator trim opposite from the stick. Some pattern fliers use this set up. Futaba, as I recall, calls this Mode 4 or Stick 4.

I believe that Futaba calls Mode 3 what is a left handed or European Mode 1. A normal mode 1 has split elevator and aileron with aileron on the right and elevator on the left. The opposite mode would be aileron on the left and elevator on the right. I understand many Europeans and some Canadians use this mode.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 AM
carrellh

Futaba mode 3 is left handed mode 2. As far as I know, the four modes are standards and do not vary from one maker to another; if the maker actually supports modes 3 and 4.

On a 6xas, you set the stick mode in the menus. The trims move with the stick assignment, so you do not have throttle trim by elevstor stick or anything else strange. You do have to open the case and swap the throttle detent and elevator centering spring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92784.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	533277  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
negy1

i used to have a 9 vap futaba computer radio set on mode 4 from by futaba tectnitions

but the trims could not be changed to suit so i had to be content with them being crossed trimed witch is good in one way as you can trim say elevator with out haveing to take you finger of the stick the down side is when you try to teach someone else it complicates things so its nice to see futabas 12z can cater for all stick and trimm combernations
Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
negy1

yes mate mode 4 is mode 4 even down under i have been flying that mode for over 30yrs its only last year i found out mode 4 and not mode 3
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM
EddieWeeks

On many futaba radios...... if you hold two buttons down, while you turn it on... A new menu pops up and ask Mode 1-4..

Turn off and on, then in new mode... I fly all mode 4.. works great for rolling circle, as the roll rate does not change..

Eddie Weeks
http://www.variablepitchhobbies.com/
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just began the switch from Mode 2 to Mode 4 last night on the simulator.
I could fly OK without crashing, but get mixed up with corrections during aerobatic manuvers. Would have been easier if I hadn't learned how to use the rudder this year!
It just makes so much sense to get the rudder and elevator on the same stick. My biggest weakness was rolling circles, so I hope that this will help. Hope it doesn't set me too far down the learning curve.

My biggest concern is that nobody in my club will be able to fly my plane in case of emergency (such as getting something in my eye or stung by a bee, etc.) I've got a 12Z on order. I think with all that functionality I should be able to program a flight mode that effectively makes it into a Mode 2 radio. Then, with a flip of a switch, others can fly my plane. Anybody tried that?

Dan
Old 10-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can set up the 12Z so that any switch/lever/stick works any channel. The only restriction is the throttle ratchet.

You could possibly set up one model with one stick mode, and then make another model memory of the same airplane in another stick mode. You would have to switch models before flying when you want to swap modes. You can't have it activate just from a switch. Once you set up the functions in the Linkage Menu, you can't use conditions to alter them.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
underdw

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of trying something like this with a 2nd flight mode on a switch that changes the setup from Mode 4 to Mode 2 by:
- Turning rudder dual rate down to zero
- Mixing : Ail --> Rud at 100%
- Turning aileron dual rate down to zero
- Mixing: Run --> Ail at 100%
Think something like this might work?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: underdw

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of trying something like this with a 2nd flight mode on a switch that changes the setup from Mode 4 to Mode 2 by:
- Turning rudder dual rate down to zero
- Mixing : Ail --> Rud at 100%
- Turning aileron dual rate down to zero
- Mixing: Run --> Ail at 100%
Think something like this might work?
That won't work. If you turn down the aileron rates, you'll get nothing because you're telling the processor to take zero input from the aileron control. Same with your trying to dial down the rudder.

It's basically a safety reason so you won't accidentally change the model's main control layout in flight. If your transmitter was borrowed, that person might accidentally flip the switch and have the control layout changed and crash your model as a result.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 PM
underdw

Bill,
After I hit the send button I realized exactly what you stated. I had a thought of another trick. (feel free to ignore me if you tire of this thread and I'll shut up and mess around when I get the radio)

How about:
- Ch 9 is assigned to the rudder stick at 100% (but no servo connected)
- Ch 10 is assigned to the aileron stick at 100%(no servo)
When a certain switch is flipped:
- Ail and rudder D/R go to 0%
- Ch 9 is mixed at 100% to Aileron
- Ch 10 is mixed at 100% to Rudder

Still, you have a very good point about bumping the switch accidentaly.

Regards,
Dan

Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
adarsh_007

Hello Guys,

I got myself a Futaba 12Z radio with a bergen helicopter. Now the radio arrived in Mode-2 but I fly Mode-1.

I am aware and have done lot of mode changes in the earlier futaba radio like the 9CAP, 7CAP and 6XAS radios. But can i do the change in mode for the Futaba 12Z radio too. If so is it the same procedure as the above mentioned radios?

After physically changing the springs in the radio, how do i change the mode in the software of the radio. The previous 9CAP radio asked for holding the menu & end keys and switching on the radio. How is it done in the 12Z radio?

I'm from India and ther's no service centre of Futaba in my country.

I tried writing a mail to your customer service, but so far no reply. Kindly help.

Regards,

Adasrh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 AM
vintageflyer

If you already have the ratcheting taken care of, this is what Bill Baxter recomends:

You can set up the 12Z so that any switch/lever/stick works any channel. The only restriction is the throttle ratchet.

You could possibly set up one model with one stick mode, and then make another model memory of the same airplane in another stick mode. You would have to switch models before flying when you want to swap modes. You can't have it activate just from a switch. Once you set up the functions in the Linkage Menu, you can't use conditions to alter them.

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
Service Phone: 217 398-0007
Email: hobbyservices (at) hobbico.com

Hello Guys,

I got myself a Futaba 12Z radio with a bergen helicopter. Now the radio arrived in Mode-2 but I fly Mode-1.

I am aware and have done lot of mode changes in the earlier futaba radio like the 9CAP, 7CAP and 6XAS radios. But can i do the change in mode for the Futaba 12Z radio too. If so is it the same procedure as the above mentioned radios?

After physically changing the springs in the radio, how do i change the mode in the software of the radio. The previous 9CAP radio asked for holding the menu & end keys and switching on the radio. How is it done in the 12Z radio?

I'm from India and ther's no service centre of Futaba in my country.

I tried writing a mail to your customer service, but so far no reply. Kindly help.

Regards,

Adasrh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.

[/quote]