Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie with Futaba 6Ch???

Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
electriceye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Futaba 6Ch???

Hi, I hope someone can help me out there.? After re-kindling my enthusiasm for R/C aircraft, I picked it up again by purchasing a Park zone Mustang, but aware that I must learn more before flying warbirds, I bought a RTF J-3 Cub which I am learning on. As I know I will be persuing this further and along with many recomendations that I should get 'proper' radio gear (plus I just got to havev retracts one day!!), I bought 2nd hand Futaba Skysport 6 TX including RX, 4 servos etc. but no manual. Whilst I can download that, I am intrigued as to how I wire/connect these parts into an electric parkflyer for instance, as I only intend to fly electric. The 'throttle' servo will obviously not be req'd I assume, so where on the TX would I plug in the electric motor ESC and how/where would I connect the Electric power battery that powers the motor whilst there is a seperate power source for R/X, servos etc? The rest I think I can suss out but if there are any websites you can point me to?
Thanks a million.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Newbie with Futaba 6Ch???

Typically most electronic speed controls use a feature called BEC, battery eliminator circuit. What this does is supply the Rx and servos for the flying surfaces with regulated current from the motor battery and in this way no separate rx batt pack is neccessary.

When the current drops during flight down to a cutoff point this will shut down the motor and sufficient current will be left to control a landing. Most will provide a little power for the landing by pulling the throttle off and then bring it back up a little.

The connection from the speed control and the Rx/servos is a single servo plug that plugs into the rx throttle port, in the case of Futaba that is channel #3. The Rx and servo will get power through this port.

Very high amperage speed controls for large aircraft may not have this feature and in that case a separate Rx pack would be required and plugged into any avaliable Rx port. All Rx's utilize a common power buss (positive and negative) on all the servo ports so Rx, servo power can be plugged into any port.

John
Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Newbie with Futaba 6Ch???

On your ESC, there will be a "servo" type plug. This goes in channel 3 and will control your motor.