Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Cooked my Futaba Transmitter Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 PM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooked my Futaba Transmitter Today

Wow, This has never happened before. I was out flying this afternoon and sometime during the fifth flight my LCD display just went black. I have a Futaba 6XAS radio. There was almost no wind, no clouds, very high humidity (Southeastern VA) and boy was it hot. I wasn't feeling the heat as much as my transmitter was apparently.

After the radio was placed in the shade, the LCD display came back and worked fine. Anyone else ever had this happen?

Scott
Old 07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cooked my Futaba Transmitter Today

Happens all the time, when an LCD screen gets too much sun. I have a couple of transmitters that have done it in the past. Usually, after I have forgotten to put them in the shade. After the screen cools, it come back. I bet it's not real good for the screen though.[]
Old 07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
vertigo72480

Almost any monochromatic LCD will do that. Try it with a cheap solar calculator. Same situation. Some old cell phones had that problem too. The newer, color LCDs don't wash out like that , but they do begin to get very faint. Don't worry about hurting your LCD, it will be fine.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 PM
GoldenAge

I was relaxing in my beach chair flying my old Quaker 84. I knew the transmitter battery was getting low, so I was watching the voltage display a litlle more than I usually do. After that screen went black, I thought I'd better get that plane down quick [X(]

I've seen LCD's freeze. They just kind of partially display numbers and then go blank.

Thanks for the replies!

Scott
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Dr1Driver

Electronics can usually withstand the same temperatures humans can. Remember that the electronics inside the plane AND TX are "enclosed", and the temperature inside can be much higher than the outside air. A good safety precaution is keep your TX in the shade, and place a towel over your plane, or keep it in the shade between flights, too.

Dr.1